News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Talladega Dirt Skyway - Sunday, Mar. 4th

Started by Nice Goat, February 27, 2018, 04:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

Been prepping my bike for a trip to Colorado this summer, and it is about time to start doing shakedown rides.
Purpose of this ride is to see how the bike does on 150 miles of dirt and rocky roads.
Come on out and shake loose some of those bolts from your dual sport!

Meet at Huddle House in Piedmont at 7:00am.  We'll eat breakfast then ride down 500/281/600-2/600-1.
We'll turn around and ride the exact same roads back north to Piedmont.
We'll stop and get gas & snacks in Waldo.  We should get back to Piedmont about 8-9 hours later.

I'm going to trailer to Piedmont and leave the truck somewhere.  I'll be bringing my tool roll and extra tubes just in case, but no other camping/overnight gear ... that will be shakedown ride #2.

Here is the route (link and map attachment):
https://goo.gl/maps/5nSjXS7U9rv

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

springer

One question, how "big bike" friendly is this, specifically when the rider of said "big bike" as a tendency to fall over?  :(

Asking for a friend... ;D   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrou111

Quote from: springer on February 27, 2018, 08:12:38 PM
One question, how "big bike" friendly is this, specifically when the rider of said "big bike" as a tendency to fall over?  :(

Asking for a friend... ;D

At the north end, it's all easy dirt and gravel a Honda Civic could handle. From Adams Gap (where the southern end of 281 meets 600-2) down to where 600-2 meets Union-T Rd at the bridge/ RR crossing, that's the rockiest section. Lots of baby heads and some washed out areas. It's not impossible on a big bike, several BMW GS riders I know have ridden it, just have to go slow.

From Porter Gap to Bulls Gap on 600-1 is fairly rocky too but not bad. There are a few muddy spots from trucks here and there too.

norton73

Other than the "mud hole from hell" it's pretty doable on any bike with more than a couple inches of ground clearance. I believe Kevin knows which hole I am talking about, and it's not hard to ride around.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

KevinB

Yep, I know that mudhole. It looks like it would be just a few inches deep on the edge, but it definitely is not....buried my Husky Terra up to the fenders in it.

Bring that AT out...we'll get you through all of it. I know some guys that did it this past weekend on  a WeeStrom and a Honda NightHawk...like James said, just gotta go slow and take deliberate lines through the rocky section.

terryrussell1

Depending on how my work schedule pans out this weekend I'm a maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

norton73

Quote from: KevinB on February 27, 2018, 08:46:52 PM
Yep, I know that mudhole. It looks like it would be just a few inches deep on the edge, but it definitely is not....buried my Husky Terra up to the fenders in it.

Bring that AT out...we'll get you through all of it. I know some guys that did it this past weekend on  a WeeStrom and a Honda NightHawk...like James said, just gotta go slow and take deliberate lines through the rocky section.

It was tough on my GS too.

Wish I could make it, but this weekend is MFCKR*

*Mulberry Fork Canoe and Kayak Races.

springer

Okay then! I hear by claim the worstest rider ever on this ride. ;) See y'all Sunday!!!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

These are the same roads that punched a hole in Slater's oil pan on his GS800.  The roads are very rocky in places, just so everybody is aware.  Good idea to have skid plate and engine guards installed.  Make sure you are well-rested also, because the rocky sections can be strenuous.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Gam

Quote from: springer on February 27, 2018, 09:40:30 PM
Okay then! I hear by claim the worstest rider ever on this ride. ;) See y'all Sunday!!!

If you get to that last stretch over horns mountain and don't like what you've seen so far, you can take horns valley road and you should beat them to their turn around point on 148. If I wind up camping at Cheaha or Pine Glen I will try join y'all. All of my bikes are in an egregious state of disrepair, don't know if I have time to get anything road worthy.

norton73

Quote from: springer on February 27, 2018, 09:40:30 PM

I hope someone with a GoPro will be following you.

;D

springer

Quote from: norton73 on February 28, 2018, 06:44:13 AM
I hope someone with a GoPro will be following you.

;D
I will have my GoPro...so y'all can hear my bitching n moaning.  ;)

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

Fencejumper09

Headed to Anderson, SC to help my mom with some stuff on her house she is selling on Friday. If I can knock out the list by Saturday afternoon I should be back in time to meet you guys in Piedmont. I would probably head north once we get to Sylacauga!

Hopefully I can make it!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332