RFP #13, Tennessee Dirt Devil Camp & Ride, June 8-10

Started by Nice Goat, March 13, 2018, 04:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

RFP = "Ride for Pie"

Why?  Because pie fixes everything!  And the bonus is ... I buy the pie!  And give you free stickers!

Ken and I have been talking about doing this event for some time now .... The time has come to finally do it.  Hopefully the weather will be great and the creeks will be just right in both depth and temperature.

~~~~~====***====~~~~~

Friday, June 8th - Camping at Meriwether Lewis Campground on the Natchez Trace.  Map: https://goo.gl/maps/1NuEZ7CqfXA2.  I'm bringing a lot of stuff (cooler, pop-up canopy, grill, firewood, etc.), so I'll be driving up with the bike on the trailer.  Not sure yet what time I will be there, but hopefully early enough to secure a few campsites.  Make your way to the campground whenever and however you want.  There are lots of campsites there and plenty of trees if you want to hang your hammock.  However, there are no showers at the campground, so you can either (a) bring a camp shower or (b) take a "ho bath" (phrase stolen from Ken) in the restrooms, which they do have.

Saturday, June 9th - Ride as much of the TN Dirt Devil as we can.  Expect 200 miles of mostly smooth dirt roads with about 10-12 creek crossings.  Depth of creek crossings will depend on rain that week, but usually they are not too challenging.  Ken has ridden this area many times and knows the area well, so he has agreed to lead the ride and keep us off private land.  Wear swim trunks under your riding pants, so you can cool off in the creek, if you want.

Sunday, June 10th - Leisurely coffee and breakfast, pack up, clean up, and go home.

Breakfast - We will be eating breakfast at the campsite, so plan to bring your own camp stove, coffee, dehydrated eggs, pre-cooked bacon, bran muffins, Cap'n Crunch, etc.

Lunch - The Dirt Devil area is not very populated, so do not expect a hot, sit-down lunch.  We might be eating snacks at a gas station, but you should plan to bring snacks with you in a backpack or in your saddlebags.  We might be eating lunch under a shade tree or sitting in a creek.  Plan to bring a hydration pack full of water also.

Dinner/Supper - I intend to eat at the campground after I get a shower.  The campsite is only 10 minutes from Hohenwald, so you have the option of eating in town, if you want.  I will have pie in my cooler to share with everybody.

~~~~~====***====~~~~~

So dust off that camping gear and come on out!  Let's get those bikes wet!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Fencejumper09

Following along for this one! Hopefully I can convince my wife that for safety reasons I need a shakedown ride and camp for Colorado!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

yamahamer

Following with high hopes of making this trip.  ;D

springer

I should be back from North Carolina by then! A strong possibility I am!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kdtrull

Sometimes, depending on the number and length of stops along the route, it works out that we will be fairly near the Beacon Light Tea Room near Bon Aqua around lunchtime.
http://beaconlighttearoom.com/history.htm

It's not the only place around but it's a durn good one.  Diverting for a hot lunch can be a group decision.

P.S.  They have pie too.

The route covers some areas that are very prone to flood damage and/or erosion.  There's always another way around but a u-turn or two may be required.
I will do my best to do a pre-ride beforehand...but work is nutty right now so no guarantee.

There are horse and buggy clubs that ride parts of this area.  Some period of quiet courtesy may be required for the health and safety of the riders if we run into a horse ride.

It's a lot of fun, a lot of water, and fantastic country scenery.  Hope to see y'all there!

You can skip around this video for a preview.  It's from a fairly dry period in 2014:

2372ighost

2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Nice Goat

Quote from: 2372ighost on March 14, 2018, 01:40:36 PM
Can l assume this is big bike friendly?

From what I have read/heard, you can do this route on almost any motorcycle, but you probably want to have dual sport tires installed.

lazeebum

It's big bike friendly, and you will want waterproof boots. There at are a few watercrossings.

2372ighost

Just got a pair of Forma Terra's. Hope to break them in so I can shift the klr.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Fencejumper09

I also have the Terras! Mine felt pre-broken-in straight out of the box! So Comfortable!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kdtrull

I've made a terrible scheduling mistake and I apologize.   :-[  The Warden and I will be floating around the Atlantic on Memorial Day weekend.
I've spoken with Glenn and believe he's going to try to choose another weekend.  Stay tuned...and sorry again.

Nice Goat

kdtrull

Fencejumper09

That is my birthday weekend and also the Perry Mountain 24hr!

I may be able to sell the whole birthday ride idea to the wife! Since we are getting OLD now the birthdays don't seem as important!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

jrobinson

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on March 16, 2018, 08:52:54 AM
That is my birthday weekend and also the Perry Mountain 24hr!

I may be able to sell the whole birthday ride idea to the wife! Since we are getting OLD now the birthdays don't seem as important!

Your's may not, but hers does.....no matter what she says. :)