News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Glove Recomendations

Started by Fencejumper09, March 14, 2018, 09:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

I am looking at purchasing a pair of gloves for an upcoming trip to Colorado. I am hoping to get something for the lower temps at the higher altitudes with some Gore-tex to keep the rain out.

Anybody have any gloves they would recommend/sell that are waterproof and good down to say 32 degrees F?

I have a pair of Sliders gloves and just do not like the tactile feel they provide.

Thank you.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Nice Goat

Sub'd ... I need some cold weather waterproof gloves also. 
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

All of my "cold weather gloves" seem to have the same problem...to bulky.
With the Africa Twin I decided to explore a different option, heated grips. I ordered the motorcycle with the Honda heated grips. While the grips do not get hot enough when it is really cold outside (a problem with the Honda heated grips) they do help. If I had known this before I bought the motorcycle, I would have bought the Oxford heated grips. (They are reported to give out way more heat.)  Never less, they do supply enough heat so that I can go with a thinner glove.

This is what I use to about 45 degrees or so;

I have used the bulky black gloves in the comparison photo below to 20 degree temps. They are the H.D. brand cold weather gloves. They are warm but a tad to bulky;

This last photo is another glove I have used with the heated grips down to the 25 degree mark. My fingers still got stiff from the cold though;

On the Honda XR650L I had plan on installing a set of Tusk off-road Grip heater Kit. Link to the kit;

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/998/23097/Tusk-Grip-Heater-Kit

This is another brand for a bit less;

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/trackside-grip-heaters

There is one problem with those kits. They come with just a on/off switch...and the wires can break where they go into the heating element.

But now the plan is to pick up a pair of Gerbing heated glove liners or heated gloves. I have a Gerbing heated jacket liner that goes under any jacket I own. I like that because it gives me options...I can use a jacket I already own and like. The heated glove liners would give me the same option. Link to the RevZilla Gerbing heated gear;

https://www.revzilla.com/search?_utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=Gerbing+heated+gloves

Personally, I think the heated gear route is the way to go. Socks/gloves that are heated and battery powered means the motorcycle electrical system is not used...so no "extra" wiring is needed. 
A plus if your electrical system on the bike is near or at its max capabilities.

All of it, jacket liner, pants liner, gloves, glove liner, boot soles, can be transferred from motorcycle to motorcycle. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

SpeedyR

I need to revisit my glove selection as well. Last trip out there, I had two pairs of gloves that I took with me and swapped out as needed. Basically heavy duty MX gloves and then another pair that was lightly insulated.

Here are a couple of options, but I think having two or even three pairs might be a good idea.

heavy duty mx gloves (something with a bit of armor and just a bit thicker leather palms)- I have the Dainese Mig C2 gloves for most of my DS riding, but they are good for pavement and street riding as well. very well vented but good protection.

Light duty street gloves- more leather and better protection. something like the Dainese X-strike or Carbon short gloves

Colder weather- here's where it gets tricky. I have two pairs of bicycling gloves that I have worn when it gets colder. It think that is a good direction to look as almost all of the motorcycle oriented goretex/waterproof gloves tend to be very thick or IMHO not enough protection. One pair I got at REI and has very little protection, very thin leather palm, but does well when it's in the low 40's in the early mornings. I crashed on a tennis court in Italy on a supermoto bike (don't ask) and my palm got a bit of road rash. But they were warmer than the thicker pair of gloves I had. Since then I bought a pair of 661 winter gloves (the Storm?) and use them often. They have a bit better protection, but still good feel and I think they would work decently.

I have winter heated gloves (tourmaster) and another set of sportier winter gloves (cortech Scarab) that has more insulation on the back but leaves the palm thinner so they work well with heated grips (both of my KTM"s have heated grips) but they are still thick. I may get a pair of Dainese Tempest gloves to try out before the trip. They make a mid/short version that's about $100 and it feels good and has good protection. Not a bunch of insulation, but IMHO if you hands are dry that's a big part of keeping them warm.

Just throwing some options out there, and take a look at the bicycle offerings.

also from our trip last year, the temps weren't very low but we did have some frost some mornings. The speeds aren't that high for the most part, so a good in between glove like you a talking about would be a good option. Nothing sucks more than having cold hands first thing in the morning.

Fencejumper09

Thanks for the info. I am really keeping my eye on the ADVrider flea market. I slept on a pair of Revit Dominators that appear to be perfect for what we are planning and I missed the deal!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on March 14, 2018, 12:29:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I am really keeping my eye on the ADVrider flea market. I slept on a pair of Revit Dominators that appear to be perfect for what we are planning and I missed the deal!
BTW, I somehow wound up with 2 sets of the Tusk Grip Heaters if you want to try 1 pair those. From what I have read on ADV, sliding some heat shrink tubing on the wires where the wires go into the grip heaters keeps the wires from breaking.  There is also a post in the XR650L thread that shows how to wire in a variable pot some the heat output can be ramp up or down.   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Mulley

I love my Klim Inversion gloves for cool to cold weather dualsporting. They have Gore Windstopper lining.

Mine are like this but that's the old discontinued style.

https://www.klim.com/Inversion-Glove-3161-002

I have two options for waterproofing. The first one is really cheap and works great. I use a pair of latex dish washing gloves over the top of my riding gloves. This has worked great for me on many trips both dualsport and street. Just make sure they are big enough to fit over your gloves without compressing your hand.

My other option is Aerostich Triple Digit Covers. I've ridden a lot of miles with these too. They work really well but you will struggle to use your GPS or scratch your noes them on.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

For extra warmth get a thin pair of glove liners. Check out Manzella. They have nice stuff.
https://www.manzella.com/c/glove-liners/_/N-3741569790_3340037855?viewAll=true

And always carry a spare pair of gloves just in case yours get wet.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

KevinB

A few weeks ago I was looking for the same type of gloves for the CO trip. I really wanted a pair of Klims, but decided to try these out for the price...

Answer Taiga gloves

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/answer-taiga-gloves

My only waterproof test so far consisted of dunking my hands in the kitchen sink for @ 5 minutes...hands stayed dry.

I wore them on the TNF ride last weekend for the first leg of the trip. The temp was in the upper 30's when we left Piedmont and was slow to warm up (a lot of shade on FS500). My hands were cool after about an hour, but not uncomfortably so. Dexterity was much better compared to my cold weather street gloves.

If y'all don't see them for sale in the Swap Meet in a week or two, you'll know I like 'em.  :)

Fencejumper09

Quote from: KevinB on March 14, 2018, 02:09:26 PM
A few weeks ago I was looking for the same type of gloves for the CO trip. I really wanted a pair of Klims, but decided to try these out for the price...

Answer Taiga gloves

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/answer-taiga-gloves

My only waterproof test so far consisted of dunking my hands in the kitchen sink for @ 5 minutes...hands stayed dry.

I wore them on the TNF ride last weekend for the first leg of the trip. The temp was in the upper 30's when we left Piedmont and was slow to warm up (a lot of shade on FS500). My hands were cool after about an hour, but not uncomfortably so. Dexterity was much better compared to my cold weather street gloves.

If y'all don't see them for sale in the Swap Meet in a week or two, you'll know I like 'em.  :)

You have piqued my interest in these! And half the price of what I was expecting to spend!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

merc16

Justin

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

merc16

Ok most of mine are XXL.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

Fencejumper09

I think I would need and XXL in some of the European cuts
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Frank Smith

I use the Held Gore Tex lined gloves.  I like these because my hands stay dry even in pouring rain. They are gauntlet style and I like them over my coat cuffs.  Expensive but worth it. 
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Nice Goat

I wear XXL gloves.  I can't believe these things fit over my winter electric gloves.  Scotchgard applied per instructions.

Best recommendation I've seen in a long while.  Thanks, Mulley!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."