News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Cross country ride to BMW fish fry

Started by Freebooter, September 28, 2015, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freebooter

My friend Rodger Williamson invited me to his BMW group's Fish Fry at Little River State Park just west of Atmore. We left Millbrook in Elmore County, rather than interstate, chose the scenic route through west and south Ala. out west Hy 14, through Selma, then on south through Dallas Co on Hy 41.   

Stopped n got lunch at that Hardees in Camdon, continued south through Monroe county. Got on Moneoe CR 38, then on Hy 84 for abt a mile until Perdue Hill. While there took pics of Wm. Travis' cabin, atty office, and a larger building that was a Masonic Lodge and Court House that sits his between the offce and office. Very cool. He left Alabama to take command of the Alamo.

At Perdue Hill we got on Monroe CR 38, then took CR 1 to Homewood. Here we took a treacherous dirt road that doesnt even hv a number on the map across country to save time. Hit Monroe Co Rd 11 to Hy 59 to Uriah (Makes me think of Uriah Heep). There we got on Hy 21 into Baldwin County and to Little River State Park. God I was tired. That FJ 9 seat sucks after a while. Or I meed to lose some off my 300lb butt.

Saturday night was a horror. We stayed up late around the fire, etc. I, with no tent, laid on ground. Every time I started t nod a mosquito went into my ear, hordes attacked my bald head. Too hot to hide in t bag. Finally it cooled in I nodded. Rodger's alarm went off (sposed t go off at 5). We got up, broke camp, got dressed n sat n talked. Wondering why it wasn't getting light, we realized it was only 3:30. Daaammiiiit!!! Got matbe 39 minutes of sleep that night.

Sunday morn we went into Mobile in the morn to take part in a benifit ride for prostrate cancer researched called "Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride". Everyone met up at a new Triumph and Indian dealership called Rosie's 1901 Garage and Trade. About 15 riders rode from there to Spanish Fort and met up with another 15 or so an we all road to Stocton and ate at Stage Coach all you can eat restaurant. Great Souther home cooke food. Mmmm.

Once eaten we rode home on Hy 31. But around Flomaton, my ass really hurting, I was tired of country rodes n lil towns slowing us down so I got on I-65 n hooked on up varying between 75-85 mph, I got in the wind. Around Greenville I stopped n drank me a water, walked around a bit t rest my agonized butt. Got back in the wind and made it home to Millbrook. That trip made up my mind. I might sell the FJ-9 and get me something more comfortable.
Everyone rode vintage bikesn wore  suits n ties.