News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Do you ride and Hike?

Started by klaviator, March 19, 2018, 11:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Since this topic recently came up in another thread: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2739.0, I thought I'd start this thread to discuss the topic of combining riding and hiking.

I have been doing this for years.  The biggest issue with this is what do you do with your gear while you are hiking?

Generally I do my ride and hikes using one of my scooters which have a lot of storage space to safely stash gear.  Motorcycles with hard bags and/or tail trunks also work well for this.  If you don't have built in storage there are other solutions like using a cable to secure your helmet and jacket. 

Then there is the issue of boots/shoes.  I generally wear hiking boots anyway when I ride my scooters but if you wear motorcycle bots then you will need to find someplace to stash them while hiking unless you are willing to hike in them.

So I'm opening this up for discussion.  Let us know if this is something you have done or are interested in.  Tips on how you have done this or suggestions for possible ride and hike locations would be appreciated.

klaviator

Here's a ride and hike I did a few years ago to Cloudland Canyon SP.  http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=589.0

klaviator

Nice Goat

Bankhead has many hiking trails and waterfalls.  I've been to these waterfalls (see attachment) ... Turkey Creek requires the most climbing.  Caney Creek is the longest hike, an easy 1-1/2 mile round trip.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

BamaPhill

Count me in, I'd be interested in this. 
2013 DR650
2015 CRF250L

klaviator

I'd be interested in a Bankhead ride and hike too.

Johnny Tobyone

Sougahoaghee Falls in Sipsey/Bankhead ... mile n half  one way I believe   day hiked and overnighted
R1200R
CRF450L

Jwwr

Yes, but not as much as I would like. I just wear my hiking boots on the bike, they're solid leather and probably tougher than some street motorcycle boots. I use a cable and lock for anything that will not fit in the top case.

Sougahoaghee Falls looks awesome I would like to see that! I have also always wanted to see the big poplar tree in Bankhead.