News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2018 Goldwing Tour review

Started by catang5oh, March 23, 2018, 12:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catang5oh

This will be a work in progress as I put more miles on it.

I picked it up in Nashville on Tuesday, it was 50 degrees and sprinkling when I arrived. Guy asks what I'm there for and I pointed at the Wing and said I'm riding that home.

Got all the paperwork done around 3pm, temp was down to 39, sleeting outside and snow on radar about 15 miles north.

He walks me through the gazzilion buttons, shows me mode settings, Tour, Sport, ECO, and rain. I joke that it's  a great time to test rain mode, new tires and sleeting still.

I cruise out and head south on 65.

Rain mode is interesting, it reduces the throttle input and adjusts power to control wheel spin but the bike still hammers down the on ramp no problem.

Wind protection is not what the old wing was around the legs, but it was great everywhere else. Rain/ sleet is going around me instead of on me.

The suspension is awesome, feedback in bars is like my GSXR. Ride is great, I have it set to 1 rider, no cargo. It has 4 presets, 1 rider, rider with cargo, 2 riders, and 2 riders with cargo.

I start playing with the Apple car play, the talk to text is pretty cool.

I can use my phone maps or built in GPS.

Handlebar controls are like flying the space shuttle, there are buttons everywhere. But, readily available and easy to use.

Electric windshield is nice too. Infinitely adjustable for your comfort.

Trunk still holds 2 full face helmets.

I will say this ain't your daddy's Goldwing, reminds me lot of the ZX-14 Concourse I threw a leg over. It's a sport bike with luggage.

Cruising the slab was smooth and response from engine and suspension is spot on.

It helps that it has 125hp, and 125 torque too!

The new front suspension is something out of this world, I kept seeing 2 little ball joints just dancing around next to the neck of the frame, constantly doing their thing.

Ok, enough for today. I will add some pics later, and some more reviews as I test it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

Quote from: catang5oh on March 23, 2018, 12:50:30 PM
...reminds me lot of the ZX-14 Concourse I threw a leg over. It's a sport bike with luggage.

Something tells me that you like it...
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

catang5oh

Tested it on some of my favorite roads, 281 and Cheaha Rd.

Handling was top notch, feedback from suspension is excellent, and lean angle is more than sufficient. Have yet to drag a peg, and I tried yesterday.

catang5oh

So, about 5500 now. Oil change was easy, same filter as my Tenere.

Comfort is great, seat above average.
Electronics so far are good, Bluetooth has worked well.
Navigation is easy to use, and works very well.
Storage works well.
Rain and wind protection is better than the previous for me.

catang5oh

So, 7500 miles since March 20.

A trip to the Keys

A trip to Pensacola

Tires are still looking good, two oil changes in the books( which are super easy).

Comfort is really good, 120 mile stints aren't a problem.

Been playing with the engine modes( Sport, Eco, Tour, and Rain). 5000 mile average around 43.8 mph which is a mix of all modes. 200 miles in Eco mode average was 51.9, this was mostly back roads around 65 mph.

GPS works as well as any other. Setting destination is fairly easy when stopped, the mouse button on the center console makes it go quickly.

The Apple car play is also very cool. Listen to and respond via voice through Bluetooth. Siri is still the none listening computer bitch that she's always been, but with enough patience she gets it.

iPod and Apple Music make the trips a lot more enjoyable, and they work whether Bluetooth helmet is attached or not. Apple car play does not work without the helmet connected, for obvious reasons.

Rain and wind protection are top notch after several monsoon riding sessions.

A lot of previous Wing owners have bitched about storage capacity going down. Yes, it is a little less then previous model, but not enough for me to whine.

Handling is the cats meow, it is a ST1800 in that department. It eats corners for lunch.

Only complaint is the speed limiter, 112 mph at 4200 rpm. Gotta get that removed, Harley's stop at the same place.

Electronically Adjustable windshield really is nice, wind when you want it.

Brakes are amazing, ABS works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

You are killing me.  I want one of these so bad.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

merc16

I'm just here as a '18 Goldwing fanboy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

Hammerdown77

I saw more of these on the roads in NC this past week. I will say that it is a great looking bike. Everytime I saw one coming toward me, took me a bit to determine what it was. It looks more like a sport tourer than previous generations.

Sloan's in Murfreesboro is an Eagle Rider dealer, and they have a new Goldwing (maybe more than one), and I'm strongly considering renting one of those for a day or two...
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

catang5oh

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on July 09, 2018, 06:34:17 AM
I saw more of these on the roads in NC this past week. I will say that it is a great looking bike. Everytime I saw one coming toward me, took me a bit to determine what it was. It looks more like a sport tourer than previous generations.

Sloan's in Murfreesboro is an Eagle Rider dealer, and they have a new Goldwing (maybe more than one), and I'm strongly considering renting one of those for a day or two...

You won't be disappointed, it is much the sport tourer!

catang5oh

This is pretty cool, xm weather and traffic on board.

catang5oh

Finally got the Blue Tour delete cover!

I likee!

catang5oh

So, the trunk delete kit took about 4 hours when I followed the instructions. Second time was 45-1hr with the knowledge from the first go round and exactly what had to be removed to get the trunk off.

Finished product looks pretty sweet, I like the low, sleek look of the ass end now. Handling might be better, or I may just be trying to justify the cost of this stuff.

sctparker

Look at it as , you now have two bikes in one a gold wing and a gold wing tour  without total cost of both bikes so you saved money

catang5oh

Quote from: sctparker on August 06, 2018, 11:55:46 AM
Look at it as , you now have two bikes in one a gold wing and a gold wing tour  without total cost of both bikes so you saved money

Yes, that was a major deciding factor when I purchased it. I realized that the Goldwing could not truly be a tour because some of the options cannot be added. Just the trunk kit and center stand would put the Goldwing at the Tour price.

The wife loves the heated seat and it isn't an option on the standard, also I kinda fell in love with the reverse, it makes wrestling an 800 lb machine a lot easier.

I also lost 50 plus pounds with the trunk removed.

catang5oh

Another update, just to show the engine design improvements.

The new motor is 1833cc, 4 valve motor. 1cc bigger,but 4 valve instead of 2. Hp increased from 118 to 125, torque 123 to 125.

I have been tracking mileage and so far am impressed to say the least.

8000 mile average is 43.8, this is a mix of all 4 engine modes.
Sport
Tour
Rain
Eco

Best to date was 49.3 on eco mode, about 100 miles of interstate and 150 of backroads.

Not too shabby for a 800 lb bike.

My 2015 was lucky to maintain 35 mpg.