News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A camping type trip...

Started by springer, March 25, 2018, 01:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Well its time to shake off the dust and wash away the mold from my camping gear.  :D So planning must be done, so that is why I am posting this.
Need some suggestions about some places where I can go that will allow me to;
1. String up my hammock and lean-to.
2. Build a campfire...legally.  ;)
3. Have some dirt trails/roads/ what have you that I can ride around on the A.T. .

Looked at the Alabama State Park site but from what I see the only riding is for horseback or bicycles. The National parks allow some 4-wheel type riding but I see no mention of motorcycle riding...

Anyway, give me some ideas on where to go, cost to camp, things to see, etc.....

Would like to stay with in 2 hours of Birmingham.

Yep, this is sort of a group planning trip type thing so IF you want to go, come on!

Plan on doing this 3/31/18 - 4/1/18 so yea, Easter weekend but hay, my kids are grown so... ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

catang5oh

Paul Grist state park, lots of dirt road readily available.  Nice camping area, and the guy that runs it rides also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fencejumper09

Camping in Bankhead is great but the gravel roads may be more tame than you are looking for!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kylepeterson

+1 on Paul grist sp

Great winding dirt roads, quiet (QUIET PLEASE!) camping, lake view, and someone here probably has gpx tracks for you too!

just give 'er the berries !

Gam

The best camp site at Paul Grist on the far side of the dam, It's probably not an official campsite, but the two times I have been there was nobody else camping and nobody riding around on a golf cart to make sure you didn't break a rule.

springer

Thanks for ALL the ideas and keep'em coming!

I might push this back to Sunday-Monday. Waiting on my snap-tool thingy so I can do what I need to do to turn my hammock into a comfortable 30-40 degree sleep palace.  ;)

You use a Kam snap thingy, a cheep quilt from Costco, some Shok Cord (hammock hangy cord  ;) ) I will set it up so I can use 1 quilt or more.  For the quilt closes to the hammock I will fold the edge of the quilt over, use the snaps to secure it, then run the shock cord through that channel.

Here is the video that gave me this delusion of grander;

No sewing involved because I can not sew.  ;) ;)

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.