News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

California Superbike School

Started by bblass, March 27, 2018, 09:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Keith Code & Co will be at Barber towards the end of May and hosting California Superbike School.

Ever since watching a twist of the wrist I've been interested in going to one of their sessions; now we've got one in our backyard.

Has anyone ever done one of these? Anyone interested in joining me? Price is steep but cheaper than one bad accident!

https://superbikeschool.com/
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Chitza

Paging Rodney Green to the white courtesy phone.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

DachshundUberAlles

I have two friends who have done it. Neither one gave a strong recommendation for me to do it. They both said that the Ride University program run by Jason Disalvo was the better option.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

klaviator

I did it at Road Atlanta.  They supplied the bike, leathers and helmet and the total cost was only 250 bucks.  It was well worth it.

Keep in mind that I'm an old fart and this was back in 1993 ;D

bblass

Thanks! I'll check out Ride University as well. Glanced at their website but didn't see any upcoming events.

25 years later and you're still riding like the wind! The professionally maintained bike, inspected gear and training aids are all strong selling points for Keith Code's class.

KrisCook

@LawnmowerRG has done several.  He has really gotten a lot out of them, I think.  He keeps trying to talk me into going, and one of these days, I will! 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

DachshundUberAlles

Quote from: bblass on March 27, 2018, 01:42:20 PM
Thanks! I'll check out Ride University as well. Glanced at their website but didn't see any upcoming events.

25 years later and you're still riding like the wind! The professionally maintained bike, inspected gear and training aids are all strong selling points for Keith Code's class.

They've been at nearly every STT event at Barber. You might check the STT site as it will show if it is an option that can be pre-purchased. If I remember right it was $500.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

LawnmowerRG

Ok, So Yes I am a little of a fan boy for CSS.
Is it worth the money? Absolutely.
Will you be a better rider for taking it? Yes.
What should you expect from CSS?

Unless you are a horrible rider. Don't expect them to make major changes to your riding.

They will tell you to make changes , and then tell you why you should make those changes. Both will happen before you go on he track to practice this new skill/tool.

They will follow you around the track and help you refine the skills. The coach may pull you off the track mid session if you do something dangerous. If you are doing very good with the exercise at hand. He may pull you to change what you are working on.

I have had both happen. Bad I was riding in the rain (in rain mode) not understanding how that worked on the S1000 I was over throttleing while still below the lean angle for rain mode.

I have also had a coach catch me as I was mounting the bike  and say you pretty well got this. So, After the first lap look for me. I want work on this turn or change to this skill.

Expect and honest evaluation of your riding after each session with your track coach. The same coach all day. He will tell you if you were doing good or bad with the skill for that session. He will pick out problem places for you on the track.

Now that being said. I have done some track days with Nate Kern. Great Guy. Great coach. Still nothing like CSS.
I have not done DeSalvo's school. Yes, I would like to at some point.
I am sure it's a good school.

If you can't afford a professional school do the STT thing and hook up with Nicole, Shane and that group. While they are not professional coaches you would be hard pressed to find some one not making a living at it that is better.

The plain and simple IMHO is get the best training you can! Code, DeSalvo, or our local track awesomeness.

Why did I choose CSS?
A friend did it. I went to visit and watch.while there  I meet Dillan and Kieth. They were working. So they would politely stop a conversation to do thier job. Once free if they saw me they would come back over and continue. They treated me with respect and dignity. The Next year I did level one. Many of thier coaches have been with them a long time. So when you go back for L2, L3, L4 you will be training with people you have meet and know on some level.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

bblass

Thank you for that thoughtful and informative response, Rodney! You've got me really looking forward to it