News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

DR650 Motard

Started by Bamagator, April 25, 2018, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamagator

I know we have several tard riders on the board and in our area.  Had a pack of them go by me last weekend when I was cardio ing on a rural road I live near.  My question is has anyone seen, ridden on or have opinions on converting a DR650 to a tard? 

I know she's a heavy girl vs a KTM or other pedigree, but she has torque and reliability.  Any thoughts or experiences?

springer

GO FOR IT!

Yea, I'm "one of those guys" that will talk folks into stuff... ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

several people have done it, I've only ridden a few of the Dr sumo conversion. I have a Drz that is sumo now, it's terribly fun,  totally worth it.

from 0-45 mph it's stupid fun. after that it's just another street bike but with more wind blast and less per.

if you toss it over, it doesn't care.

do it
just give 'er the berries !

Chitza

Buzz has a set of mortars rims for his DR650. I'll send him in to make some comments  :D
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

yamahamer

Just be sure to add a fork brace and the bike is a blast. The 650 forks are week and you can really feel it in Sumo mode.

My Big Pig.

Fencejumper09

I love my 690 Tard!!

Where by chance were you cardioing?

If it was Hwy 25 on a bicycle, that was us!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Bamagator

Awesome! Awesome!  I just picked up a DR and really will give it consideration I suspect before I go into mod work. Tard or Adv tour bike.....  Good tip on the fork brace.  I'll be at the free states deal this weekend, maybe I'll corner a few guys to get more insight.  I get the concept and was about to do a sport bike but went for the DR instead for the ergos, etc. Just need to learn more.

yamahamer, I dig that pic and set up man.

I was on HWY 74 outside of Chelsea.  The pack came down from firetower road on the back side of Pelham I'm pretty sure....and they were having too much fun  ;D

Chuck & Susan

@Fencejumper09 Hummmm........ I wonder what a Mean Wing would do with a set of Knobbies???? That would be a big girl....  :o

Just a fleeting thought..... LOL  :D

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Fencejumper09

@Bamagator we were on Firetower Rd in that area probably a little after 9 am Saturday. @kylepeterson did you record our ride to Gymkhana? I let @rmcelroy lead the way and am not sure if we ended up on Hwy 74.

@Chuck & Susan the Gravel Goldwing has crossed my mind!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Chuck & Susan on April 26, 2018, 08:12:54 AM
@Fencejumper09 Hummmm........ I wonder what a Mean Wing would do with a set of Knobbies???? That would be a big girl....  :o

Chuck
DO IT!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Bamagator

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on April 26, 2018, 08:22:47 AM
@Bamagator we were on Firetower Rd in that area probably a little after 9 am Saturday. @kylepeterson did you record our ride to Gymkhana? I let @rmcelroy lead the way and am not sure if we ended up on Hwy 74.

@Chuck & Susan the Gravel Goldwing has crossed my mind!

Yep. That was you gents....time was right.  I got in ditch and waved as I walked.  KTM brigade with some others mixed in.

Fencejumper09

Haha small world! I think I remember passing you. I only asked about Hwy 25 bc we passed I bicyclist and I gave him some encouragement as we went by!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

jrobinson

Quote from: Chuck & Susan on April 26, 2018, 08:12:54 AM

Chuck

It may look something like this.....

Buzz

Quote from: yamahamer on April 26, 2018, 05:55:49 AM
Just be sure to add a fork brace and the bike is a blast. The 650 forks are week and you can really feel it in Sumo mode.

My Big Pig.

I know those rims. The 650 is fun as a tard. It is not quite the scalpel the smaller bikes are,  but still a blast on the back roads.

The warp 9 rims lack a cush drive. Imho it makes the bike more fun. Do one gymkhana, and you'll be hooked.

yamahamer

Quote from: Buzz on April 26, 2018, 10:32:03 AM
I know those rims. The 650 is fun as a tard. It is not quite the scalpel the smaller bikes are,  but still a blast on the back roads.

The warp 9 rims lack a cush drive. Imho it makes the bike more fun. Do one gymkhana, and you'll be hooked.

Cush drive is available from Warp 9 I just chose not to get it.