News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dual Sport Camp in Talladega May 26th?

Started by bblass, May 16, 2018, 10:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Is there any interest in doing a dual sport camp out in Talladega National Forest next Saturday, May 26th?

The loose, tentative plan for now would be to ride out late that morning, try to get around 100 miles of dirt exploring in and then camp off of 600-1 that night and ride out. Dinner would probably be riding into Sylacauga or Talladega.

Interested to hear tips from those who've done this or an experienced guide to lead us.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Bamagator

There're 2-3 prime camping spots with awesome views  on 600-1. Pinhoti trail for hiking goes along the mountain, so with Memorial Day weekend expect some traffic up there. I've hiked the ridge before and ridden it a long time ago but still need to learn some of the roads on the lower valleys.

I will check my calendar for fam needs and flag you mid week, maybe join for your day excursion and exploration.  I'm down in Chelsea so it would be an easy meet up to ride down. My off-road skills need some brushing up

kylepeterson

that's a great plan.

I'll check with the wife unit before I commit.

the primitive spots on 600 are really nice views, but there are other places close to water falls nearby also... and more remote places to camp if you're willing to go a little deeper.

I'll send you some stuff
just give 'er the berries !

Bamagator

PM sent to scope out your goals for the ride my man.  Lemme know.

bblass

So far we've got 3 committed and 3 maybe's with everyone dependent on the weather.

I've got two possible trips depending on what the group wants to do - 1 is a 100 mile loop around the talladega area and another is from sylacauga to piedmont.

@dknx and @kylepeterson may also have some ideas on cool sights to explore off these roads

Talladega Loop:
https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/4a6466ffe3ebefc8b503d87b25bb53b3/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Sylacauga to Piedmont:
https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/9ea27d970397078e82b3978684e524c3/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

I've done both of these before and each one is around a day with generous stops. You could do each in about 5 hours if you pushed it. 600-1 & 600-2 are the only technical parts we'll encounter and both are tackled fairly easily on larger dual sports. A 1200 GS or Vstrom will require a little talent though.

General plan subject to the will of the group is to meet at the Bull's Gap Trailhead off AL 148 with a plan of KSU at 11AM Saturday morning. A few of us are riding down from Birmingham with a plan to leave at 9:30 from Homewood. Let us know if you want to join us or we can meet up off 280.

Plan to take it as it comes and call an audible on camping that night if the weather looks permitting. Dinner will probably be at a local establishment in with plans to purchase supplies (beer) for that evening while we're near civilization.

dknx

Fingers crossed the weather holds out. Will be a great trip.

Fencejumper09

Doubt I will be able to make it but, I have filled out the necessary forms for a formal request with the wife!

Looks like the night time weather will be perfect for hanging in a hammock!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on May 22, 2018, 02:01:24 PM
Doubt I will be able to make it but, I have filled out the necessary forms for a formal request with the wife!

Looks like the night time weather will be perfect for hanging in a hammock!
There is a forum for that?   :-[
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Frank Smith

It's not a form, it's a contract application, contingent on 20 or so things you agree to do for her both before and after your trip. Btw, it's usually binding. Ask me how I know.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Fencejumper09

Apparently my forms weren't filled out correctly as my request has been denied!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

jrobinson

easier to get forgiveness than permission.

norton73

Quote from: jrobinson on May 23, 2018, 03:09:01 PM
easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Depends how long you can take the cold shoulder until it is granted...
Loose nut holding the handlebars

kylepeterson

looks like my participation will depend on the rain, since all I have is street tires!

I'll charge up the Bluetooth speaker and update my list of annoying repetitive edm !

just give 'er the berries !

bblass

Quote from: kylepeterson on May 23, 2018, 06:07:56 PM
I'll charge up the Bluetooth speaker and update my list of annoying repetitive edm !

A mountaintop rave in a thunderstorm would be a true viking way to go out!