News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Tagging a Dirt Bike Question

Started by gulfcoaster, May 21, 2018, 03:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gulfcoaster

Looks like I might be picking up a Beta 390 RR Race Edition this weekend from someone on ADV.  It has a street title in GA, so that won't be a problem.  But I was wondering about mirror and turn signals.  What I remember from internet heresay is that turn signals don't matter, but you do have to have a mirror.  Anyone have experience with this?  Only bikes I've dealt with were street bikes, and a DR350, so no issues to worry about there.  I'm hoping that they will just come out to the parking lot to verify the VIN number, and won't care about the rest since it has a street title.  But just in case...

springer

Quote from: gulfcoaster on May 21, 2018, 03:12:06 PM
Looks like I might be picking up a Beta 390 RR Race Edition this weekend from someone on ADV.  It has a street title in GA, so that won't be a problem.  But I was wondering about mirror and turn signals.  What I remember from internet heresay is that turn signals don't matter, but you do have to have a mirror.  Anyone have experience with this?  Only bikes I've dealt with were street bikes, and a DR350, so no issues to worry about there.  I'm hoping that they will just come out to the parking lot to verify the VIN number, and won't care about the rest since it has a street title.  But just in case...
Only 1 mirror is needed if I remember right. They use a Ram mount stem so they are easy to fold away if it will get "tight".  ;) Another plus is they are not to bad price wise.
Doubletakes Beta page;

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/build

Since you have no mirrors now you will need  to mount it, just scroll down for an option to do that.  ;) ;)

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

gulfcoaster

Quote from: springer on May 21, 2018, 04:01:44 PM
Only 1 mirror is needed if I remember right. They use a Ram mount stem so they are easy to fold away if it will get "tight".  ;) Another plus is they are not to bad price wise.
Doubletakes Beta page;

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/build

Since you have no mirrors now you will need  to mount it, just scroll down for an option to do that.  ;) ;)

Thank you sir!!!  I was trying to remember the name of the brand I've looked at before.  And that was it!!!

KevinB

If you're in Jefferson County, they won't put down their sammich long enough to come out from behind the counter and do an inspection...they'll make you call the local PD to meet you there and do it.

Other counties are much more friendly and someone at the tag office will probably do the inspection for you.

Either way, they'll merely check the VIN for verification...they couldn't care less about mirrors, horns, DOT tires, etc. In fact, the out-of-state inspection form has no notations of any type of "street legal" equipment. You could show up with a bare frame...that's the only part of the vehicle you're titling.

When I worked for Homewood PD, I frequently got called to the International truck dealer on Oxmoor to do the inspections. Those trucks were generally in various states of disrepair...missing cabs, engines, etc. Definitely not street-worthy...

gulfcoaster

Haha.  I do NOT miss Jefferson County DMV's one bit.  I hated every damn time I went to the Bessemer County Courthouse.  Now I go to an annex in Fairhope(Baldwin County).  I rarely wait more than 10 minutes!  Just went there today, and walked out with three tags in about 7 or 8 minutes.

I went ahead and ordered a DoubleTake mirror, kind of wanted one anyhow.  I also wanted to make sure they weren't going to want to see blinkers, cuz that ain't happening.  This bike will mainly be used for Dual Sport rides, and will probably not see much pavement outside of county roads.

2smoke

Ha yes inspection. When the 72 Suzuki came home I had no helmet right away. So Shelby Co Sherriff came by to inspect. Bike has no turn signals although there are provisions for them on the bike. None of the lighting was checked to see if it worked. Just a vin check

jrou111

If it has turn signals they need to work. If there are no signals on the bike you just need to know the hand signals.

kylepeterson

Quote from: gulfcoaster on May 21, 2018, 03:12:06 PM

1% of your luck has to do with if they caught you popping wheelies in video, the other 99% is how old/decrepit/sorry you look when you pull off the helmet. signals and horns really don't matter, unless you get a rookie that's trying to make a name for himself for taking out a hillbilly biker gang made up of old saggy sacks riding "omg-those-aren't-dot-tires!" motorcycles.

really, be nice and they'll be nice back. usually.
just give 'er the berries !

Mulley

Did you get the title yet? I had my Beta 300 RR tagged in South Dakota. When I went to the St Clair County courthouse to have it changed over to Alabama it took the lady a while to find the correct bike in the system. She had me help her by looking at the screen to pick out the correct bike. They had just about every model of Beta trials bike and dirt bike ever made. There had to be a few dozen in their system. We eventually found it and everything went smooth after that. No questions at all about it being a fire breathing, environment killing, baby seal bashing, panty dropping 2 smoker. She just wanted the paperwork, money and then to go outside and check the VIN. No questions were asked about blinkers, lights, horns, mirrors, nothing.

I bought a KTM 500 EXC from Florida and did the same last month. The bike didn't even have a tail light on it. The lady had broken her glasses and couldn't see up close. I had to read the VIN number for her. She was real nice though. Said she broke her glasses the evening before riding an ATV to go shoot guns. After that, I knew I was in good company.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

springer

Quote from: Mulley on May 30, 2018, 11:52:01 AM
I bought a KTM 500 EXC from Florida and did the same last month. The bike didn't even have a tail light on it. The lady had broken her glasses and couldn't see up close. I had to read the VIN number for her. She was real nice though. Said she broke her glasses the evening before riding an ATV to go shoot guns. After that, I knew I was in good company.

Did you ask if she has a sister?? You know, for your buddy Springer.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

Quote from: springer on May 30, 2018, 01:55:19 PM
Did you ask if she has a sister?? You know, for your buddy Springer.  ;)

y'all both owe me a windshield and half the dashboard now

lmao

kylepeterson

taptaptap

this thing on?

sent off my tag-it-packet yesterday for an almost free drz.

I hope it's returned by this weekend. if not I'll have to swap over stuff to go play a little.

DonJuan

What are y'all doing for insurance on dirty 2 stroke bikes? I mean, will the local Jake from State Farm sell you minimum coverage on an off road bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

Nice Goat

Progressive charged me $9 per year for my XR400
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

jrou111

Progressive. When I added my KTM 525 EXC to my policy, my insurance actually went down $20/year!