News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2019 Honda CRF450L Dual Sport

Started by kdtrull, May 23, 2018, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

A couple of figures from another forum so they may not be correct but.......

Honda claims around 24 HP for this bike ???

And requires an oil change every 1000KM ::)

KevinB

Yep, apparently from Honda's own Euro press release...

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/131076/2019-crf450l10

QuotePeak power is 18.4kW, with peak torque of 32Nm. Important from the hobby trail-rider's perspective is the engine's reliability and gap between service intervals. And this is where the CRF450L's build quality and design really stands out; it will go 32,000km between major strip downs, with an air filter oil and oil filter change every 1000km.

Nor sure if they're serious, or someone at Honda EU has a really good sarcastic sense of humor.

I normally do @ 500 mile oil changes on my dual sports (I get bored, and it's easy), but to claim that your product is so superiorly designed and built as to go @600 miles before requiring an oil change is pretty humorous.  :D

kylepeterson

it's five years early, but the sharks are already looking for the blood trail of a nicely modified kwb/glenn-motors-llc  Honda
just give 'er the berries !

springer

Quote from: KevinB on May 25, 2018, 12:34:01 PM
Yep, apparently from Honda's own Euro press release...

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/131076/2019-crf450l10

Nor sure if they're serious, or someone at Honda EU has a really good sarcastic sense of humor.

I normally do @ 500 mile oil changes on my dual sports (I get bored, and it's easy), but to claim that your product is so superiorly designed and built as to go @600 miles before requiring an oil change is pretty humorous.  :D

Well it is based on a hi-strung motorcross engine...so there is that. After break-in I would feel safe stretching it out a bit but on the first 2 or so oil changes I would send some of the used oil out to be analyzed. Of course I would use the best oil in the world for the engine...Baby Seal oil.  ;)

I do think this will be 1 cool Dualsport myself. After all moare power is just a few factory parts away.  ;) ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

catang5oh

If it's based on the 450R/X engine, it holds less than a quart. So 600 mile oil changes wouldnt be out in f the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian A

I keep waffling on this bike.  There are things that impress me, but then again things that do not.  I'm not going to plop down ~ $10,500 K for one so my interest is purely as a spectator.

I don't think the 24 odd HP seen in the link is accurate. The XR250 made 20 HP and the CRF250 made about 30 HP. I believe something in the 45 HP range for the 450 is actual.

Given the engine's design and pedigree, I am inclined to believe the 600 mile oil change and air filter change intervals are called for (by Honda).  I guess that is part of the price of admission if one decides they want a CRF450L as their dualsport motorcycle. But that sure seems like it would be an issue for serious dualsport riding/trips. Not an issue for a weekender who wants to have one of the best dualsports available. But, if one is a serious dualsport rider, who takes extended trips, it would be pretty easy to find oneself in a position of having to service the bike, maybe even a few times, during an extended trip.

I think much of it is - for me - a distinct preference for simple/reliable "old school" dualsport when compared to something like the CRF450L.  There is no doubt the CRF450L is "superior" in many ways, but if I was in the market for a new dualsport, I'd be looking at a new DR650 or XR650L.  Both are air cooled, pretty much bullet proof bikes, somewhere in the range of $4k - $5K less than the CRF. Service intervals are substantially longer and both are capable of going pretty much anywhere in relative comfort and with a pretty high level of rider confidence that nothing is going to break or fail (at least as much confidence that ANY motorcycle is not going to fail).

Different strokes for different folks. It'd be a bit boring if everybody bought pretty much the same motorcycles.

Gam

I'm definitely interested in this bike, if it the only high maintenance is the oil.  I just can't believe that hp spec is correct. I would just the use KLR for long trips, you don't have change the oil on it, just top it off every 600 miles.

kdtrull

Could this thing coerce Yamaha to fill in the dual sport gap between 250 and 1200?  What is their deal....anybody have insight???

lastparrot

Quote from: kdtrull on June 01, 2018, 09:00:42 PM
Could this thing coerce Yamaha to fill in the dual sport gap between 250 and 1200?  What is their deal....anybody have insight???
Man i hope so

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

catang5oh

Honda was quoted in ADV pulse article stating the horsepower will be in the 40's. The 24hp rumor was a mistake by European Honda website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

Quote from: catang5oh on June 21, 2018, 01:59:14 PM
Honda was quoted in ADV pulse article stating the horsepower will be in the 40's. The 24hp rumor was a mistake by European Honda website.

I'm hoping that the 30 hour oil changes might be a mistake also.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

norton73

Quote from: Nice Goat on June 21, 2018, 08:14:05 PM

I'm hoping that the 30 hour oil changes might be a mistake also.

It takes 30 hours to change the oil? And people complain about KTMs being a pain in the ass.

;D

Seriously, I don't think this is gonna be a lightweight Adventure tourer we all hoped for. More an enduro bike with lights to connect the trails legaly. 
Loose nut holding the handlebars

catang5oh

Probably just like my husky, only holds a quart of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kylepeterson

I can't wait to ride one of y'all's new crf450l's and see what it's all about.

I know a faired version would probably sell like mad, but would immediately be snickered at by the ktm guys with their extra 20hp or so, the BMW guys with their air conditioned seats, or the old codgers bitching about the price tag on their klrs.

somewhere a dude on a dr790 (dr650 bigbore) with nice suspension upgrades would cruise by and give a nod, then not give two yacks the rest of his trip.
just give 'er the berries !

KevinB

I think there's still a media embargo on actual ride reports, but this video at least gives some close-ups of various details and components...