News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

New lid - soliciting opinions

Started by bblass, May 23, 2018, 12:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

After 4 years of near daily use, my trusty RPHA 10 has begun disintegrating. The vents no longer adjust, the face shield pops unlatched on the freeway, and it wears the scars of 1000s of miles of adventure.

Work is reasonably slow at the moment and in the lull I've gone down the rabbit hole of researching helmets. For those of you who've never peaked into this dark corner of the motorcycle web, let me assure you it's filled with the same vitriol and impassioned opinion commonly found in any oil-based discussion. The Shoei clan cannot abide the Arai; Schuberth is that weird uncle people acknowledge but try to ignore- HJC, Bell et al are the realm of squids who just don't know any better. Those customers haven't been around long enough to be "real motorcyclists" or don't understand the difference "quality" makes.

Despite owning several HJC helmets and being happy with all of them, reading the remarks of so many strangers has started to take an effect on me and I'm wondering if I just don't know any better...

Is there a promised land of feather-light weight, crypt-like silence and headbutt a tank protection that eludes we mere mortals who won't pay more than four Franklins for a helmet?

I'm currently looking at the Shoei X14, AGV AX-8, RPHA 11 and Arai with plans to amble down to big number 1 one day and narrow it down some. However, trying on a helmet and living with it are two entirely different things. Yes, a bad fit is an immediate knock out; but bad finish or other annoyances may not manifest themselves until months down the road.

Do we have any true believers for the models listed above? Any left off worthy of consideration? My style of riding is all off them - the only duty this lid won't see is dirt/dual sport.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Chitza

I sport an Arai right now and I love it. It's light weight and does what it advertises. With that being said, I got a screaming deal on a closeout graphic and was talked in to it by a dear friend. I wasn't looking for a helmet.

I was/am a loyal Scorpion wearer. All their gear is well made and at a medium price range. Lots of options as well. I dare say @TFancher will weigh in on his modular. The weight difference between my Scorpion and my Arai is nominal, but noticeable with the Arai being lighter.

As with any make/model of helmet, the size and shape of your noggin will exclude some choices so I suggest you try them out before you drop big(or Little) money.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

KevinB

I don't have any experience with the X14, but I do wear an RF1200.

Y'all have seen my ads for used stuff on here and know how I swap gear out until I find something that's just right. If I buy something and don't like it for any reason, no matter how small, it gets passed on to someone else. With that in mind...

I've been wearing the same helmet for four years.  :)

TFancher

My last 3 helmets have been Scorpion (along with 2 jackets) all of which I still wear under different conditions. The latest is a EXO AT950 modular
"Dual Sport" helmet. I'm very pleased with it with a couple of exceptions.  It's modular, aka loud. Wind noise is not really a problem since I try to wear earplugs (when I can remember to put them in. They're pretty useless in my pocket.) Weight hasn't been a problem for me. The modular is about the same weight as the other Scorpions I have. The biggest thing I had to deal with was the fit right out of the box. I ordered the XL and it was a perfect fit until I closed the chin bar. Too much pressure from the cheek pads.  I went online and ordered a set of XXL cheek pads ($15.00 shipped) and now it's perfect. This doesn't sound like a great sales pitch, but I really like this helmet. I wanted a dual sport helmet and a modular, not many options out there that fit both requirements.

I'm pretty sure Yamahamer and Springer own this helmet also.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

bblass

Quote from: KevinB on May 23, 2018, 02:06:55 PM

I've been wearing the same helmet for four years.  :)

That's a solid sales pitch right there!

Although I've never heard anyone say a bad word about an Arai either!

I really like the styling of the Scorpions and the air fit on most of their models seems like a novel idea. I'll make sure to take a closer look at them.

jrobinson

I'm surprised that Kevin has kept the same name for 4 years.

KevinB

Quote from: bblass on May 23, 2018, 03:00:52 PM

Although I've never heard anyone say a bad word about an Arai either!

I was always an Arai wearer for years and loved them...until I tried on a Shoei.

When you find the right one,  it'll be an "Ah ha!" moment.

norton73

I've been a fan of the Shoei RF series for years. Started with an RF700 years ago and have progressed through all the numbers to the RF1000. They have always fitted my shape head well and are decently quiet.
Somehow, I got talked into an Arai a couple years ago, and while I like it and it fits well, I hate how you change the shield and it doesn't seem to seal well in the rain. I end up with rain on the inside of the faceshield and my glasses.
My wife recently bought a RF1200 and loves it. Most likely my next helmet will be one too.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

I wore a Shoei Neotec for four years.  It's a modular helmet, which is great when you need to talk to somebody or take a drink of water.  I still have it and use it occasionally...

Then I got an Arai XD4 adventure/dual sport helmet.  It is lighter, quieter, more comfortable, and looks wicked cool.

I also have an HJC offroad helmet...

Helmets are like bikes ... you need more than one!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Quote from: TFancher on May 23, 2018, 02:21:08 PM
...I'm pretty sure Yamahamer and Springer own this helmet also.

Yes, yes I do. I bought a size L and was comfortable for that fit most of the time. Sometimes when I put it on I notice the comfort headliner press's to hard against my forehead. I think I need a new headliner...maybe an extra large? The helmets fits good and tight with no discomfort anywhere else.
@TFancher  where did you get your check pads from? I think the L., X L. , and XX L. all share the same shell.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

Just emailed Scorpion and awaiting their reply. :fingerscrossed
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

SpeedyR

I have 2 AX-8's currently- the dual carbon version for dual sport and off road use (I remove the shield and run it with goggles for trails) as well as an ECE only carbon naked. By far the lightest helmet I've ever picked up. Ever. Stupid light. Technically the one I have is not DOT but I'm fine with that, the DOT ratings are crap. For running around town it's comfortable, but a bit noisy and not that aerodynamic (I ride a 1290 Super Duke, so having something that works well in wind is a plus). For longer rides (most of the day) I'll grab another helmet unless it's dual sport. My dual sport doesn't go over 100mph too often so aerodynamics are not as much of an issue.

The AX-8 while it's a good helmet, is not in the same category as the others you listed. It's an older model that doesn't have the same fit and quality liner as the others. IMHO the more relevant helmet would be the AGV K5-S (make sure it's the "S" version, the older K5 is not nearly as good). IMHO it ranks right up there with Shoei RF1200, and most of your Arai helmets with regards to protection, features, comfort, fit, etc. But it's also 1/2 to 3/4 lb lighter and has the internal sun shield and retails for about $400. I have one that I got for my wife (we both wear the same size helmets) that I used for a few months before I got my Pista. It's solid, lightweight, comfortable, quiet, and just fits my head very well. Easy to put communication systems in, etc.

I've worn top of the line Shoei and Arai in the past. Very good helmets but with the SNELL certifications, also comes a lot of extra weight. A comparable quality ECE helmet will be 1/2 to 1 pound lighter. My last Arai was a while ago, RX7-RR and my last Shoei was the X12 and RF1200. still have those but they feel like a boat anchor compared to my current helmets.

Disclosure- I'm biased, I do some work for AGV here and there, but still like the new helmets. A lot. The new carbon SportModular helmet is crazy light and comfortable/quiet if you are looking at a modular helmet, but they are hard to find.

bblass

Quote from: SpeedyR on May 23, 2018, 10:37:09 PM
Disclosure- I'm biased, I do some work for AGV here and there, but still like the new helmets. A lot. The new carbon SportModular helmet is crazy light and comfortable/quiet if you are looking at a modular helmet, but they are hard to find.

The naked carbon is one of the ones I was seriously considering. The field of view and ventilation on it looks amazing but I'm little concerned about the aerodynamics you mentioned. I usually cruise around 85 on the harley. Guessing with no windshield the buffeting and noise might rule this one out. Thanks for the input!

SpeedyR

I'd buy the new carbon sport modular over the ax-8 any day. Much better Helmet. Plus there will probably be an ax-9 out later this year.

Try on the K5-S. I think you'll be impressed.