News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Hot weather protective gear?

Started by BamaPhill, July 02, 2018, 03:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamaPhill

After riding this past weekend and realizing we have definitely reached Summer heat/humidity, I thought I would ask what some of you guys wear for protection that is hot weather friendly.  It would be nice to shed the jacket and go with something lightweight but still offer protection.  I'm new to dual sport riding, any recommendations?

2013 DR650
2015 CRF250L

springer

Body mesh type armor under shirt/under jacket stuff for my upper body.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/837/52716/Acerbis-Koerta-2.0-Body-Armor

Under pants type armor;

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/835/53174/Forcefield-Contakt-Riding-Shorts

If this is what I am wearing then any vented jacket/pants without armor will go over it.

Summer type riding gloves, Forma Adventure boots. ( I have the tall version but the do make a shorter boot.)

A Camel backpack thing is a life saver. Being able to sip cold water/ Gatoraide  while you ride is a life saver. Both on and off road. Take your pick;

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/4538/Hydration-Packs?sli_jump=1

Put plenty of crushed ice in them and use the chilled beverage of your choice gives you something cool to sip on all day...until you run out of course. A small insulated bag that can hold a couple of bottles of water/Gatoraide is useful too.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

DonJuan

I've had this jacket for a few years now. Keeps me from getting sunburned, and also saved my hide when someone pulled out in front of me last August.

I've never thought it was too hot. I rode 200 miles Saturday, mostly street. It wasn't bad.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-mesh-tex-jacket?kclid=8922b40a-e5c8-487d-9ae5-9c20bb1c0874&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyIe559uB3AIVizRpCh2HGQcaEAQYASABEgJlBvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

DonJuan

I have been considering the Bohn body armor.
https://www.bohnarmor.com/product-category/all-products/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

BamaPhill

I have a nice Olympia Hudson mesh jacket that is fine when moving, but it is pretty warm when slow and kinda' heavy.  Probably just gonna' have to suck it up and deal with the heat!  I was looking for something like the Bohn shirt or the Acerbis mesh armor.  Looking to get feedback or opinions on something along those lines.  Thanks for the links/suggestions.
2013 DR650
2015 CRF250L

Gam

If its mostly dirt and very little pavement I wear a thor chest protector, thor knee/shin guards, and elbow guards. with shorts and short sleeve shirt, it works...except when a yellow jacket flies up your shorts. For regular summer dual sport I've been wearing an Olympia Dakar jacket and klim mesh pants, the jacket is not that cool, I lost three teeth on the zipper of the jacket and it was called to my attention that I have blown the seat out of the pants, I just got an Olympia Dakar 2 jacket in white (it makes a difference,  dark stuff may look cool but it soaks the heat up), and I ordered another pair of klim mesh pants. I also got one of those evaporative vests, I rode 173 miles of dirt devil last Saturday and I think I would have boiled over without it, I stopped and resoaked it a creek once. Speaking of creeks, I've never understood why people will be dying of heat prostration and refuse to jump in a perfectly good creek, heck I've been known to stand in the shower with my clothes before starting out from a campground.

klaviator

The best way to beat the heat is to get out of it.  Head for the Mountains of N. GA, NC, or TN if you can.

Since that's not always possible, I wear a mesh jacket and pants.  Black gets really hot so get lighter colored gear.  I also have a cooling vest from Cycle Gear.  I does make a difference.  If I'm leaving in the morning when it's still cool I put the vest in a large ziplock bag and soak it in water and add some ice cubes.  When it gets hot I'll put it on.   

A camelback full of ice water also helps.

Gam

Quote from: klaviator on July 03, 2018, 01:42:55 PM
.  I also have a cooling vest from Cycle Gear.  I does make a difference.  If I'm leaving in the morning when it's still cool I put the vest in a large ziplock bag and soak it in water and add some ice cubes.  When it gets hot I'll put it on.   

Good tip right there.

IceCold4x4

I'll wear the same black leather jacket / pants that I wear year round, as long as I'm moving it's tolerable with a cooling layer underneath. On the dirt bike a cooling shirt and a chest protector, though I rally. Need to get some pants blue jeans don't really cut it anymore.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DachshundUberAlles

I'm a fan of the First Gear mesh, both jacket and gloves.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

LawnmowerRG

I have a tourmaster Mesh Jacket and pants. I really like them both they are actually cooler (when moving) than shorts and a t shirt. My theory on this is that they block the radiant heat from reaching your skin.

I need to wash the up the jacket and replace the armor. I crashed in it last year and crushed the armor CE pads. It protected me well and I have been using it for 8 years (I think) in the spring, summer and Fall.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Hammerdown77

Past 94 degrees you actually do better to keep most of the air off of your skin, with a textile jacket with just a few vents open. Wear a thin, long sleeve shirt (yes, long sleeve) so you have something holding moisture against all of your skin. I typically wear the synthetic base layer shirts from Nike/Under Armour/Champion/etc
Open a few vents to allow evaporative cooling.

That said, when you stop it will be hot. Mesh is best for this, as it lets even a slight breeze through to cool off the sweat that has accumulated on your long sleeve shirt.

Get a LIGHT COLORED jacket. I have a black mesh jacket and boy was that a bad idea.

Keep in mind on the pants, sometimes a non-mesh pant is better due to radiant heat from the bike. My legs definitely feel hotter on the bike in my mesh pants than textile, for everything short of moving 50+ mph.

Get a Camelbak or some other hydration system that allows you to drink constantly while riding. Unless you stop every 5 minutes, you can't get enough liquid in you while riding. I just recently started using one on the bike and it has made a noticeable difference in how I feel in extreme heat. I don't have to stop, I take smaller sips more frequently instead of drinking a whole bottle at a single stop, which leaves me feeling bloated and I end up just peeing it out 20 minutes later anyway.

Or like Win said, trailer your bike somewhere cool  :)
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

merc16

I have Bohn body armor pants, summer thin version. They are hot in the summer under kevlar jeans. I use a RevIt mesh jacket and pants.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

2smoke

Currently wearing Forcefield Ex-k Harness, Under Armor shirt, Klim Mojave pants. The Forcefield is cooler than the Fox Titan I had previously although still gets pretty hot. The Klim Mojave have mesh sections to let air in. Very noticeable while standing.

Does the Bilt, etc cooling vest require airflow to work well? As in the difference between a mesh jacket vs the flack jacket type armor.

klaviator

Quote from: 2smoke on July 11, 2018, 07:32:13 AM
Currently wearing Forcefield Ex-k Harness, Under Armor shirt, Klim Mojave pants. The Forcefield is cooler than the Fox Titan I had previously although still gets pretty hot. The Klim Mojave have mesh sections to let air in. Very noticeable while standing.

Does the Bilt, etc cooling vest require airflow to work well? As in the difference between a mesh jacket vs the flack jacket type armor.

My Bilt cooling vest does help in hot weather.  It does require airflow to work.  I don't know how well it would work for off road riding or behind the windshield of a Gold Wing or other big touring bike.