News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Littlest DR Project

Started by Nice Goat, July 07, 2018, 03:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

For several weeks, I had been looking for a 125cc trail bike for my 13yo daughter.  She has been begging me for a motorcycle, so I figured it was time to teach her how to ride.

On June 30th, we went to All Sport's customer appreciation day.  Ran into somebody there who had a street-legal DR125SE for sale.

What!?  I didn't even know that they made a street-legal 125cc dual sport.  Turns out that it was only offered for a few years in the States.  Shortly afterwards, Suzuki turned it into the DRZ125.  The smallest street legal dual sport after that was the DR200.

So, I bought it.

1995 Suzuki DR125SE w/ 3k miles

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

When we got the bike home, I rode it around the neighborhood a bit to get a feel for it.  The brakes felt mushy, and the bike felt starved for fuel above half throttle.  Gotta rework those.

I told my daughter that riding lessons could not start until I completed some work on the bike.  But I told her to use the time to read the MSF textbook for the Beginner Rider Course and start familiarizing herself with the controls.

The next day, the battery was dead.  I pulled it out to charge it and noticed that it was a Chinese no-name brand that was three years old.  Tried to charge it overnight with no luck.  Okay...must replace.

Also noticed that the fork boots were brittle in places and gummy in other places.  Cut them off and inspected the fork seals.  Not leaking, but a fluid and seal change won't hurt.

Front tire is new and only a year old.  Rear tire has decent tread, but it is 10 years old.  Must replace.

Overall, the bike is in good condition for being 23 years old.  I've ordered and received fork seals and a battery.  Still waiting for the carb rebuild kit.  Need to order a rear tire and new tubes.

Nice Goat

I was really surprised by the keychain.  My entire family on my dad's side resides in and around Hagerstown.  Almost feels like this bike is coming home to family.

Nice Goat

We went up to Huntsville today to get some stuff for the project.  The forks are caliper-measured at 35mm, but nobody had a fork seal driver that small.  Lowe's had some pipe and fittings that are awfully close to the right size.

Cycle Gear had LS2 dual sport helmets marked down 50%.  Somebody likes her new helmet.

JBMFT

Nice Goat

I don't know how long it will last, but right now, she is extremely excited about learning to ride, and she also wants to help with the refresh project.

So today, when we got home with the supplies, we proceeded to remove the forks.  We're going to clean the forks; change the fork seals, dust caps, and fork oil; remove the triple tree, check and grease the bearings; and put it all back together.  Also going to grease the axle and wheel bearings, clean the brake caliper, replace the brake pads, and flush the brake fluid.

kylepeterson

kid interested in learning...
dad interested in providing...
cherry dual sport about to be made more than new...

sticky this thread, everywhere.
just give 'er the berries !

Chitza

I'm so excited about this project I can hardly stand it!!!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Nice Goat

Today we finished replacing the fork seals, dust caps, and fork oil.  Also greased the steering head bearings, replaced the front brake pads, flushed the brake fluid, and installed the new battery.

Lastly, we drained the tank and re-filled it with fresh no-ethanol gas.  Fired it up and let the new gas work its way through the carb.  It's running better now, but I'm still going to rebuild the carb anyway.

Also removed all the huge honkin' turn signals.  This bike will get a full LED conversion.

Fencejumper09

Every kid's dream; a Goat prepared dual sport!

You are an awesome dad!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

TWJohn

Great find of a bike! I hope she likes it :)
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

Nice Goat

Won't make much progress on it for the next two weeks because of other happenings, but we've received the new handlebars, adapter/risers, hand guards with LED blinkers, diode kit, etc.  Also got the new rear tube and rear tire.  Probably the first weekend in August we'll work on it all weekend and finish it up.  Then the riding lessons can start!

The bike is old and a little heavy, but we are enjoying the little refresh project.  If she takes to it and learns well, we'll get her something newer and nicer.

For now, I've got her reading her second motorcycle book...

LT

Best. Thread. Ever!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mulley

I don't know how I missed this thread. It's full of awesome. You two are going to have a lot of fun with this.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Nice Goat

We worked on the rear wheel and rear suspension tonight.  Changed the rear tire, cleaned and adjusted the drum brakes (brake shoes still have plenty of life left in them), removed/cleaned/greased all linkage bolts and the swingarm bolt, and cleaned and adjusted the chain.  Good progress for one evening.

Only things left are to install the new handlebars and handguards, replace the lighting with LEDs, and clean/rebuild the carb.  Also need to troubleshoot the non-functioning tail/brake light.