News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Trials at Hollytree Offroad

Started by jrobinson, July 13, 2018, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrobinson

Huntsville Trials Club presents a Throwback Event. 

Sept 29, 2018

norton73

More incentive to get one of the Bultacos back to running condition.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

griff

I just noticed this. I'm planning to go. I'll probably camp out as well.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

norton73

Well, I was hoping to get my act together in time, but the Bultaco looks like this,

springer

Quote from: norton73 on September 27, 2018, 10:02:29 AM
Well, I was hoping to get my act together in time, but the Bultaco looks like this,

Looks like a few hours work for a man like yourself.  ;)

About a month or 3 from someone like myself.  :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

after the inches of rain they got, i wish them the best from Birmingham
just give 'er the berries !

norton73

Quote from: springer on September 27, 2018, 12:17:27 PM
Looks like a few hours work for a man like yourself.  ;)

About a month or 3 from someone like myself.  :D

Unfortunately, those are empty cases on the bike. 

This is the 325cc motor I am building for the bike;

i also still need to fabricate a rear brake lever. I moved the footpegs back and down some. You want the shift lever out of reach of your foot while riding so you don't accidently shift, but the rear brake needs to be readily available.  Before I do that however, I need to decide if I want this bike to be left or right shift.

Usually, I don't have an issue jumping from left to right shift bikes. My Norton and my older Ducatis are right shift bikes, but they are up for first. The bultaco is down for first, older models are right shift, this particular one has the shift shaft going all the way through the cases and available on both sides.

When I got this bike, it was set up left shift, but with the rear brake pedal on the right, it required a cable to operate. Cable stretch and a crappy bracket made for a brake that was questionable at best. I switched the pedals around and then the rear brake could be rod operated, much better.

However, because it is down for first, opposite the Norton, I screwed up big time once.  Going up a steep hill, I went to downshift and accidently up shifted. When I let out the clutch, the motor bogged, stalled, but kept running. When I realized my mistake, I whipped in the clutch stabbed at the shifter twice, and dropped the clutch.

Did you know a two stroke can run backwards?

Yep, the bike shot out from under me, launched me over the bars, and went straight to the bottom of the hill.

springer

Quote from: norton73 on September 27, 2018, 02:18:31 PM

Did you know a two stroke can run backwards?

Yep, the bike shot out from under me, launched me over the bars, and went straight to the bottom of the hill.
Yep, the first one I ever rebuilt did. It surprised the heck out of me too.  :D

My dad clued me in on what I did wrong.

Before I tore back into it a friend came by to see how it was going. Of course I told him GREAT! It runs like a top! Do YOU want to try it out?  :D

Of course he did...and after all these years, he still brings that up.  :D :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

griff

TWJohn, MsGriff, and I are going to watch the event. I talked to the park owner earlier and they were about done setting up for the trials event.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

TWJohn

I showed up a bit late due to work but still had a great time seeing the trial bikes. One was even electric.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

griff

I already wanted a trials bike but now after his weekend, I really want one.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs