News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Sturgis - Ever Been?

Started by renchinrider, July 24, 2018, 09:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

I use to go to all the rallies in the southeastern U.S. and got paid to do it. I use to work for a couple of state/regional "biker magazines" and got paid to do it.
If you have seen 1, you have basically seen them all.

Never been to Sturgis but if I do go, it will not be during the rally. I have heard that most of the year, there is some really good riding there.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

I'm not into big crowds, inflated prices, heavy traffic and having to wait in lines for stuff.  It would be interesting to take in the sights and sounds of a big rally.  If I could be "beamed" into Sturgis for a couple of hours just to take in the scene, I'd do it.  Unless that Star trek technology is perfected in my lifetime I don't see ever going there except at some time other than during the rally.  The same thing goes for Daytona or any of the big rallies.  Even Americade which is a much different type of rally has very little appeal to me.

My idea of a fun rally is more olong the lines of what we did last weekend at the Cove rally.

kdtrull

Well, the rally is one thing.  The area is something else entirely.

You don't need to go to Sturgis for the rally.  You need to go to the AREA for the landscape and the geology / topography.  It is unique to the continent.  It will either remind you of sets you saw on sci-fi shows on TV in the 70's or expose you to things you've never seen the likes of.  Sturgis is a plain and ugly town but comes alive with bikes and people from all over during the rally.  Go see the rally, if that's your thing....bonus.  But, the real value of the trip is seeing the Black Hills.  From The Badlands to the Wyoming Border (and beyond), you will see lands the likes of which you have never seen anywhere else before.  Desolate and remote feeling....within an hour's ride you can find places where you will feel almost like no one has been before...especially if you are able to get off the pavement.

Whether it's rally time or not....most everyone will be in town and the Black Hills will be yours for vanishing into.  I would dismiss any snarky comments against the rally and simply consider going to explore the hills.

It's been 30+ years for me.  But, the climate is not friendly to developmental advances and the land is comparatively remote.  I cannot imagine it has changed that much.

Sweeper

I was in Custer, SD this summer and the riding and scenery are amazing. Can't imagine it has changed much as it takes days to get out there to the middle of nowhere. Absolutely worth trailering out and back...one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdtrull

Quote from: Sweeper on September 18, 2018, 11:25:24 PM
I was in Custer, SD this summer and the riding and scenery are amazing. Can't imagine it has changed much as it takes days to get out there to the middle of nowhere. Absolutely worth trailering out and back...one time.

The most small and insignificant I ever felt was in that park, on a 500 lb bike, waiting just a few feet away from those giant-headed buffalo to get out of the road.  I don't think they fear anything.

sctparker

I've been 6 times my last was in 2006  went to the unveiling of the postage stamp

and back stage Nickelback no photos, no cameras allowed, was having a good time then

had a little hicup and had to stay a little extra time until it was cleared up haven't been back

Sweeper

https://youtu.be/u2_vLByFKiw

A little clip of the morning rush outside of Custer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubyRider

No. Not yet. Maybe when I Retire. :-[

It would take too much time off work for now.

Yea, Maybe when I retire, I Do Want To Go......
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!