Don't Flush The Cinder Blocks, Colorado has Old Pipes!

Started by Fencejumper09, August 12, 2018, 03:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griff

Pictures just don't do Blackbear pass justice. They just don't show how steep and narrow it is.

I've got a picture from the same exact spot as your very last one at the Ouray Brewery. We at lunch one day up on top of there.

Great ride report. It's been cool to revisit a lot of places I've ridden out there. Thanks for taking the time to take us along.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

klaviator

Hey, I rode to that spot on my loaded Versys with street tires ???  At least it looks like it might be the same spot.

I even have a picture.

Of course I cheated and just rode up to that point from Telluride and then decided it was too rough and turned around.  I did get this cool pic looking up.

I decided at that time that someday I'd have to come back on a more suitable bike and ride up there.

Fencejumper09

@klaviator supposedly they won't let you ride up much past this point! But I would be willing to try!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

klaviator

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on November 08, 2018, 03:29:26 PM
@klaviator supposedly they won't let you ride up much past this point! But I would be willing to try!!

I heard it's two way up to around where the waterfalls and building are then it's one way.

Mulley

Quote from: klaviator on November 08, 2018, 09:09:44 PM
I heard it's two way up to around where the waterfalls and building are then it's one way.

That is correct. There is a sign at that point.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Fencejumper09

Thursday July 26 Was the third and final day of our 3 day DS loop. We got up early and some decided to head to a bakery or some fancy coffee shop for breakfast. I caught a few extra ZZZZs and hit up the continental breakfast which was sad but filled me up.

The morning sun really highlighted the beauty of Ouray!

We headed North out of town to the closest gas station and ran across this sweet rig. Looks like the owners have had some fun!

@Mulley  had earned the tutu from his run in with the law on the previous day.

After filling our tanks we headed back South through town and jumped on the Million Dollar Highway towards county road 18. There was a little road work going on and the road was reduced to one lane.

We took the opportunity to snag some glamour shots!

We headed off road down County Road 18 and were smacked in the face with some scenic viewpoints!

We got to the point where Engineer Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch created a Y in the trail. @Brian A and @SpeedyR took off towards engineer pass and Mulley, Dan and myself decided to take our chances on the fractured shale that makes up the road through Poughkeepsie Gulch.

It was intense from the get go and I went down twice but it was worth it!

You know we took the extreme route!

Found some rocks to play on

This was the start of the real technical stuff!

Saw some old mines in the hillsides!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Fencejumper09

July 26 Continued

We made it back to Lake Como and took a much needed break. Poughkeepsie was definitely tough but we were a little worn out and need a stop!

Quick stop by California Pass  and started working our way down towards Animas Forks

Red Panda was enjoying the view!

Pulled into Animas Forks from the opposite direction as two days earlier and got a new perspective!

We rejoined the rest of A-Team in Animas and headed toward Engineer Pass (a must see for me, a recent PE)

Stopped at Odom Point on the way to Engineer Pass. The views were nearly 360 degrees from this outcropping. A group of Landcruisers rolled up and took up all the parking spots!

They aren't ugly though!

We continued on another couple miles to the pass and I got one the pictures I had to get!

The road down from Engineer Pass into Lake City was one of my favorites from the trip. There was little traffic and it was a fast and fun road. It also had some great scenery and history on the way!

If you haven't had the opportunity to go on a dualsport ride with this guy @Brian A you are missing out! He is a one of a kind dude that is awesome to be around!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

July 26 Finale

We pulled into Lake City just in time for a late lunch. What better place to stop for lunch than Lake City Brewing. They had a great spot for a little bit of MC-AL on their beer fridge!

After a couple gourmet hot dogs (too hungry to stop and take a picture) we headed outside to find Dan's front tire was flat so we found the culprit to be some shady old plugs.

We doubled up some sticky worms and they worked like a charm. Spit test just to be sure!

The road to Gunnison was long but we trucked on and dealt with the horrible pavement and terrible views surrounding us! Jeff went ahead to Gunnison to procure some parts needed for the group.

After a quick stop in Gunnison we headed back to Taylor Park. I stopped for supplies to ice down the evenings entertainment!

Another great sunset from our spot at Holt's Ranch

We all spent some time prepping our bike for the next day's single track session. I realized I had bought the wrong front sprocket in Gunnison. After a little MacGuyvering with a sprocket from Dan's 350 and some 12 gauge copper wire my bike was officially in single track assault mode!

We enjoyed a nice dinner of Chili Mac and after several adult beverages, we started realizing there were some awkward signs located throughout the cabin. This was a rather unique list of items to keep out of the toilet!

Apparently my camera had the same BAC as I did! The list of no-no items says Cement Blocks, Old Rubber Boots, Alfalfa, Old Rugs/Carpets, Empty Cans/Bottles, Bags of Rice and Fish.

I found this one to be a little vulgar but I understand the need!

July 27

I didn't bring my camera on the single track so you will all have to wait for the GoPro footage (aka a new computer)

After a fun day on the singletrack surrounding Taylor Park and a nice scare with some lightning and hail. We decided to head into Tincup for some grub at Frenchy's Cafe. I had the 2/3 lb burger with a slice of Tincup Pie and it was real good. It was a great dinner to cap a fantastic stay in Taylor Park.

Farewell Holt's! Hope to never stay with you again!

@Brian A was trying to catch some wildlife to take back to Alabama

And the sunsets on our Colorado Dualsport!

Saturday we decided to drive straight through all the way home, it was a heck of a haul but totally worth it!

I can't wait to go back out west!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

Remake of the First Day of Riding on our Trip!  Finally got the new PC built so more videos to come!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

rider_marc

Nice write up! You guys definitely hit some great places for riding.

A couple of pics I took in locations you'll definitely recall.

2018 with the AT and 2017 with the now gone 690ER.

- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

Fencejumper09

Quote from: rider_marc on March 03, 2019, 10:47:38 AM
Nice write up! You guys definitely hit some great places for riding.

A couple of pics I took in locations you'll definitely recall.

2018 with the AT and 2017 with the now gone 690ER.

Yep those were both memorable spots!!

Glad you enjoyed the write-up
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Fencejumper09

Wait! There's More! (technically still a lot more)

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Mulley

I just now finished watching it. Great stuff. Your editing skills are getting pretty good too.

Fencejumper09

Quote from: Mulley on August 07, 2019, 04:25:46 PM
I just now finished watching it. Great stuff. Your editing skills are getting pretty good too.

Did you ever see if you had video of the longest non-fall in history?
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Mulley

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on August 07, 2019, 05:03:15 PM
Did you ever see if you had video of the longest non-fall in history?

I'm not positive that my video has even been placed on a PC yet. It's probably still on the SD card. I'm terrible. I have tons of video that's never been seen. I figure I'll watch them when I get to crippled to ride. Hopefully I'm really old at that point and can yell at the grandkids to pause and fast forward for me.