News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Turning spoke wheels into tubeless wheels.

Started by springer, August 30, 2018, 09:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

You know if you divide the molecular weight of helium in half seven times, statistically it isn't even there! .

Just sayin!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kylepeterson

Gustav was at the beach looking for a lay.

there's this girl, in a bikini, on a bicycle.
there's this girl on a bicycle, in a bikini.
there's this girl on a bikini, in a bicycle.
then my buddy Gustav threw the basketball to her.

the first one was so perfect that men (and women) will stare and agree almost without realizing "that's hot".
then the second third and fourth versions got progressively worse until it reached the zero possibility of anything good happening this weekend, with that girl, for Gustav.

it's not his fault, he just needs to try again.

be Gustav.

try again.
just give 'er the berries !

kylepeterson

if you're about to type "hey that's not a basket ball"

stop. you've just proved how hot the first scenario is by zooming in on it. see, that's an example of looking to hard instead of just trying again.

kylepeterson

Quote from: springer on September 02, 2018, 03:27:44 PM
Yea, it was blowing out bad around 3 of them. 2 right together and the 3rd one about a spoke set down. (2 spokes down)
Moar bad news, checked the front and over night it went from 50 psi to 30 psi.  :( It help good the first night but not last night.  :o

I have taken off around a 3rd of the Outex stuff from the rim;

I am planning on doing something similar to what this guys does;

I have already got the sealant he showed;

But he did not say what tape he used. (brand)  :( He did say impenetrable by air...or something like that. Packing tape maybe?)

Any advice?   

I think you just had a bad attempt. if the spoke nipples were the issue all of them should have leaked... which means they weren't the issue. the issue was the tape, because air made its way under the tape to the spoke nipples.

merc16

Any updates ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

springer

Quote from: merc16 on November 25, 2018, 04:50:11 PM
Any updates ?

Still using tubes for now to bed and seal everything up. Next tire change the tires will be of a tubless type and we shall see.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

merc16

Cool, looking forward to a positive outcome !

Justin

Fencejumper09

My sumo setup held solid throughout the track day!

The silicone and tape makes it a bit harder to balance though!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KevinB

@springer

(Info / suggestions from other Outex users invited also)

Any updates on your tubeless efforts? I'm mulling over the idea of trying to go tubeless on my A/T and sumo.

On your initial attempt, I noticed you didn't grind down the spoke nipples like they did in one of the Outex installation videos...do you think that hindered the tape sealing?

Also, any ideas on sealing up a rim-lock hole prior to tape application?

sctparker

I have always had luck using fast cure 5200 on spoke nipples then using sealing tape

it worked on two harleys and a xl 175 street and trail Going to use this on the klr next tire change . guess if had read the thread before I responded I would have seen the sealant has already been mentioned,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

springer

Quote from: KevinB on February 25, 2019, 07:12:11 PM
@springer

(Info / suggestions from other Outex users invited also)

Any updates on your tubeless efforts? I'm mulling over the idea of trying to go tubeless on my A/T and sumo.

On your initial attempt, I noticed you didn't grind down the spoke nipples like they did in one of the Outex installation videos...do you think that hindered the tape sealing?

Also, any ideas on sealing up a rim-lock hole prior to tape application?

I haven't had to do a tire change since I put the tires on. I did use the fast-cure 5200 on the spoke nipples, all around the nipple and into the treads of the nipple. Did them 1 by 1 by unscrewing the nipple 4 turns, put the 5200 up into the nipple, and around the nipple then tighten back 4 turns, check the rim for run-out, then put the old tube in, and mounted the tire. I did it that way so the pressure and heat from the tube will seal everything back up.
My "problem" has been with the MEFO Super Explorers...they are wearing like iron. Over 4k mile on them and not even 1/2 way worn down. I'm thinking my next tire change will be in the spring. So when that happens I will replace the tires and leave the tube out. If I cann't hear an air leak, I will let it sit over night and the next day check the air pressure. If there is no drop, then put the tire and rim on the bike, then repeat the tire change for the front checking the front tire for pressure drop the next day.
Right now, when I go into the dirt stuff, I only drop my pressure to 20-24ish pounds. The pig is so friggen big for a dirty bike that to be honest, I am leery of going lower.  last thing I want is bending a rim some where, way out there cause most of the time, I am alone.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.