News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

KTM headlight

Started by griff, September 25, 2018, 10:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

griff

I have a 2001 KTM 400exc with a tag on it. I still have the stock headlight. It's a terrible excuse for a headlight. Anybody running something good on these bikes? I figure LED is probably the way to go due to the lack of stator output but I'm open to other stuff.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

kylepeterson

Quote from: griff on September 25, 2018, 10:58:22 AM
I have a 2001 KTM 400exc with a tag on it. I still have the stock headlight. It's a terrible excuse for a headlight. Anybody running something good on these bikes? I figure LED is probably the way to go due to the lack of stator output but I'm open to other stuff.

the led bar i was running it's $16 in Amazon... oops 17$

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B00T7L0DKK/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_yo_pop_d_pd_t2

my KDX stator is only rated for 40 watts, so i wanted to stay below that. i did rewind it about 3 years ago, and supposedly the home brew rewind is somewhere near 85watts. the drz you saw the light on could easily handle 75 watts of led awesomeness. i haven't tested it s output other than plugging in a bunch of Chinese LEDs (Mulley hates low quality beams patterns and can suggest much better patterns) until the voltage dropped below 11v.

I'm also using a $5 rectifier because my stator is ac only. it produces between 10vdc and 29vdc... it will pop incandescent bulbs if revved above idle. LEDs don't mind. i was sheepish if the long term use it this setup, but looking back the rectifier is almost 2 years old, the led bar just over one year old.

$5 rectifier, if you need it:
https://www.amazon.com/NTE-Electronics-NTE53016-Rectifier-Recurrent/dp/B007Z7LXVQ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img

just give 'er the berries !

bblass

Best LED Conversion Kit - no effort - Fits all cars
by Stark
Link: http://a.co/d/5Dq9ucp

I put this on my KTM 640 and it made a huge difference. Direct drop in, big fan!

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Joey A

I have a 2005 KTM 450 EXC tagged. I run the Cyclops Adventure sports BA20D LED headlight with the rectifier for AC powered bikes. The system is plug and play. If your bike has been changed over to a H4 set up they have that one for KTM. I have ridden both street and trail at night with no problems seeing. This setup will run you about $85 but well worth it

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/KTMHusky-BA20D-LED-Headlight-Bulb_p_175.html

2007 FZ6
2006 Honda 250X - Tagged
2005 KTM 450EXC - Tagged
2021 KTM 890 ADV R

Fencejumper09

I am also running a cyclops bulb in the 690! It is amazing the difference but it is definitely limited by the stock reflector!

For the price, it is hard to beat. The ultimate to me is what @KevinB was running I believe he had the baja designs!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kylepeterson

so far i think kwb's is the most insanely bright light, followed closely by whatever that led is in the wr250r from your ride that Frank Smith was running. the wr reflector is awesome. maybe it's time to start up a reflector swap kit for ktms also?
just give 'er the berries !

KevinB

Quote from: kylepeterson on September 26, 2018, 07:20:00 AM
so far i think kwb's is the most insanely bright light, followed closely by whatever that led is in the wr250r from your ride that Frank Smith was running. the wr reflector is awesome. maybe it's time to start up a reflector swap kit for ktms also?
I'm running the Baja Designs Squadron Sport...mine's the 1800 lumen version. They make a Squadron Pro that is something like 4500 lumen.

It was "relatively" inexpensive...I found a vendor on eBay selling them for $139. I think they sell on BD's website for @$200. It's completely plug-n-play...has a KTM connector.

griff

Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the Baja designs kit. It looks like I'll have to swap to the later model headlight shroud unless I can fit the rectangle Baja designs light into my current housing. I've got to take it apart and do some measuring. I could always machine a custom mount as long as the sizes match close enough. Id rather use my current housing as it works very well to mount the wolfman headlight bag I have.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

LawnmowerRG

I have Baja Design Squadron V2s. And love them. Only problem is that the shin back from street signs will blind you on full power.
Every customer I have talked into putting the squadron sport dual sport kit on a bike has been happy.
I can't recommend Baja design enough. My next choice would be Clear water for lighting.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

lastparrot

+1 to Baja Design

- lastparrot