News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

GPS's can't be trusted

Started by Bama_Rider, October 01, 2018, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama_Rider

I was on a day ride with a friend from Chattanooga.  He intended to show me the best twisty roads he knew within 150 miles of his home and throw in a few scenic stops.   At one point his Garmin SatNav ( that was set to avoid unpaved roads) suggested an unpaved shortcut.  We took it and rode for 30 minutes to a dead end, had to turn around and ride back.  Didn't see a single soul except 4 guys on 4 wheelers on the way back.  No cars, no houses. Lesson's learned.  GPS navigators can make mistakes.   You don't need a dirt bike to ride a dirt road.  My CB500X had Michelin PR4's on it.  There were a few short muddy spots that were slick as grease, but on packed dirt and gravel they were fine.  My friend who has front and rear camera's on his bike, rides an NC700X (seriously rides, the bike has been in every state but MA,RI,CT, and HI) with 80/20 Conti's on it.  If I rode a lot of clay roads when they were wet, or regularly encountered deep sand, I would change tires.  I don't so I will wear these out first.  There is something very peaceful about riding down a road through the woods with no traffic at all on a beautiful day.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGMU9tXxic&feature=share

kylepeterson

the gps was just trying to get you into the fun stuff ! :-D they're really good for that!

looks like a bunch of trails in that area :-)
just give 'er the berries !

yamahamer

That's my kinda short cut.  ;D

springer

GPS? Sometimes I just use Google Maps on my smarty pants phone...when I have to go to a place.

Most of the time when I am riding around or just to ride, I use nothing. Find a place with very few houses and start looking for a dirt road. ;)

See one, take it, sometimes you wind up turning around, sometimes not. I have found some pretty good places. 1 that I call "the small bowl" is maybe just a mile in circumference if that, 1 way in, 1 way out, and there are homes at 1 side.
But it is hilly, trails cut everywhere, and fun!
Maybe 1 day I will have enough sense to save the location in Google Maps so I can find it easier. 

But then again, I am not known for my reasoning power.  :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.