News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What about the Africa Twin DCT?

Started by Gam, November 12, 2018, 07:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

Here's the situation.  About 600 miles into my Idaho BCDR ride in August, my left index finger and thumb started having trouble putting the helmet strap through the metal rings to cinch it down, 600 miles later and they just wouldn't do it all.  Got home and I couldn't  play a bar chord on a guitar, not even on a uke.  Turns out to be cubital tunnnel syndrome (elbow), its a lot better and I'm not going to let them cut on me because it is getting better, but I figure I'll be prone to this. So I've been looking for ways to avoid a clutch.  That automatic Africa Twin, I don't know if I could get use to it. Anybody rode one? What did you think?

LawnmowerRG

Gam I haven't ridden one. I have talked to several people that have them. They all say they like it once they get used to it. As do the DCT Wing riders.

Simply put. If I that is what it took to keep me on. I would get one in a heart beat. I really like the AT as a bike over all. Only a couple small things I'm not crazy about, but I can say that about anything.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

KevinB

I almost bought the DCT, but was hesitant without having ridden one.

Ron @custmmc  has the DCT VFR Crosstour and has mentioned that it's awesome.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Gam on November 12, 2018, 07:04:49 AM
...cubital tunnnel syndrome (elbow)

That's what I have in my right elbow.  I have to massage it occasionally and make sure to never hit my elbow on anything.  So far it has not limited me in any way, but it hurts like a som'bitch when I bump it.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Gam

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on November 12, 2018, 08:13:38 AM
Gam I haven't ridden one. I have talked to several people that have them. They all say they like it once they get used to it. As do the DCT Wing riders.

Simply put. If I that is what it took to keep me on. I would get one in a heart beat. I really like the AT as a bike over all. Only a couple small things I'm not crazy about, but I can say that about anything.

I agree, even if its a Cushman scooter with a centrifugal clutch.   They actually make a rekluse for the KLR and I found a speed shifter that supposedly fits it, but I don't know if those additions would cooperate with each other.  ;D

kylepeterson

borrow a buddy's bike that has a rekluse centrifugal clutch installed. if you don't hate it, you probably won't hate the dct. orrrrr, just get a rekluse for your new Atwin!

here's a review https://advrider.com/f/threads/africa-twin-rekluse-radiusx.1267602/page-2#post-34777118

the very few times I've ridden a rekluse equipped bike I've been amazed. it's really good. really really good.
just give 'er the berries !

KevinB

In addition to the Rekluse, there's a quick-shifter available for the 2018+ A/T's with throttle-by-wire.

rider_marc

Still looking?

Back in '17 at the Geico ADV rally in Gunnison, CO Honda had lots of bikes to test ride. I rode the AT DCT--only on the property because they wouldn't let me out due to rain and wet roads. Anyway, a decent off-pavement challenge course to ride. Pretty much trail braked the whole time. It worked for me. No concerns, but I still bought a manual shift AT. Maybe one day a DCT is ideal.
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM