Possibly hit The Ridge Sunday November, 18th

Started by lastparrot, November 14, 2018, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastparrot

So I am trying to see if there is any interest for a dual sport ride this Sunday, not sure of a time yet.

I am still very new to off road riding and will be trying to find the easier stuff most likely.  I have also never been to the ridge before so I will need to find my way around.

I am taking the KTM 690 out so bigger bikes should be fine as i don't expect to do anything technical.  I wouldn't have a problem turning this into a beginner learning thing if we have people willing to learn and people willing to help.  Heck, I would even welcome some drills and technique development. 

Anyone interested?

- lastparrot

KevinB

Can't make this one, but would love to in the future.

Maxim1982

I cannot go on 11/18. I am new to dual sport as well so keep me in mind for future rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere

bblass

I'm interested and may put the dirt wheels on the 640 to join you. Let me see if I can line up a babysitter
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

lastparrot

Quote from: bblass on November 15, 2018, 09:05:20 AM
I'm interested and may put the dirt wheels on the 640 to join you. Let me see if I can line up a babysitter
Let me know, also what time works best.  I would like for it to warm up a ta, should be a nice day.

- lastparrot

zx3fred

KLR here. I'm interested, but not able this weekend. Keep me in mind as well for future rides.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you are looking for high performance, you need to jack up the gas cap and roll another bike underneath it.

'16 KLR650 - coming soon

Johnny Tobyone

I maybe able to go, will know Sat.    I returned to dual sporting last year after a 15 year absence from dirt bikes  I have not been to The Ridge. Looks  like about 1.5 from Hsv Al.
R1200R
CRF450L

Johnny Tobyone

Quote from: Johnny Tobyone on November 16, 2018, 02:02:48 PM
I maybe able to go, will know Sat.    I returned to dual sporting last year after a 15 year absence from dirt bikes  I have not been to The Ridge. Looks  like about 1.5 from Hsv Al.
Looks like I may have to help my daughter with set up of new house they just moved into today. Thought I could get out of that one
R1200R
CRF450L

lastparrot

So my plan is to be there around 12:00-12:15.  Please post up or pm me if you are coming.

- lastparrot

Fencejumper09

Hate that I missed this as I was out of town and am still playing catch-up with work.

How did it turn out?
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

lastparrot

No one showed up.  However, it was a blessing in disguise.  As i was signing in a family came in and had a son with his new bike.  I overheard the father say that the son had never ever ridden, and the parents also had never ever ridden.  Since no one was there i offered to show him the basics and get him going. 

I ended up spending a little over two hours with him.  After bike orientation, some how to's on unloading and loading from a truck we did some time on friction zone, use of clutch and throttle control.  we road from the beginner lot to the main building and back.  Around the track a few times.  I had him shifting and breaking to a controlled stop.  Told his parents a lot of things they needed to learn to help him  out.

After that i explored for an hour and then needed to head home.  In riding some of the green trails i realize just how much of a novice i am, going to take time and laps to get my abilities where i want them.  Plus I am way out of shape.

While I was disappointed that no one showed.  I most likely wouldn't have changed it for the look on his and his parents faces by the end of the day.

- lastparrot

Mulley

Quote from: lastparrot on November 19, 2018, 09:58:46 PM
No one showed up.  However, it was a blessing in disguise.  As i was signing in a family came in and had a son with his new bike.  I overheard the father say that the son had never ever ridden, and the parents also had never ever ridden.  Since no one was there i offered to show him the basics and get him going. 

I ended up spending a little over two hours with him.  After bike orientation, some how to's on unloading and loading from a truck we did some time on friction zone, use of clutch and throttle control.  we road from the beginner lot to the main building and back.  Around the track a few times.  I had him shifting and breaking to a controlled stop.  Told his parents a lot of things they needed to learn to help him  out.

After that i explored for an hour and then needed to head home.  In riding some of the green trails i realize just how much of a novice i am, going to take time and laps to get my abilities where i want them.  Plus I am way out of shape.

While I was disappointed that no one showed.  I most likely wouldn't have changed it for the look on his and his parents faces by the end of the day.

- lastparrot

That was really cool of you. That kid and his parents will remember that dat forever.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Chuck A.

Quote from: lastparrot on November 19, 2018, 09:58:46 PM
.........................I overheard the father say that the son had never ever ridden, and the parents also had never ever ridden.....................I ended up spending a little over two hours with him................

Lord words in mysterious ways. You may have just saved that boy the pain of bumps and bruises and gave him the love of riding we all enjoy. You the man!
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson