News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

North Alabama Vintage Riders Digest for Nov 17, 2018

Started by renchinrider, November 19, 2018, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Hi, Everyone!

Saturday's breakfast binge was great as always.  We packed our breakfast area, had a successful 50/50 fundraiser (congratulations to Frank Tarpley, winner of yesterday's drawing!) and enjoyed all the usual fellowship.

RJ took a few minutes to emphasize each of the significant Christmas Holiday events we have coming up.  All are listed below, and are denoted by bold print and yellow highlight.

I also took a few minutes to talk about what I'm building into our calendars for 2019.  While I still have more questions to send out for response, the responses I've gotten so far from my first question indicate that everyone wants to RIDE!  So, I'm bringing back the monthly theme rides, and will be soliciting for ride leaders who wish to share some of their favorite routes and destinations.

I'll also be sending out additional announcements about our 2019  activities...watch your inboxes!  2019 is going to be an exciting year!

The winter season is upon us, and our selection of local events is dwindling.  However, there are still a number of special events available, and I'm looking across the country for activities that appeal to lovers of vintage motorcycles.

We also have our Christmas Season events coming up in the next few weeks.  Here's what I'm tracking:

Dec 1:  The Annual Eldridge Toy Run Classic Car and Bike Show.  I'll be out of state that weekend, but here's where Eldridge is located for anyone who is nearby, or would like to ride there and take part, along with the event's website:

http://www.eldridgetoyrun.com

Dec 8:  NAVMC's annual Christmas Banquet, at the Blue Plate Cafe, from 11 am until 1 pm.  Events will include a slide show, and an auction to benefit a selected individual or family at the Holidays.

--  The submission deadline for recommended gift recipients has passed without response.  Therefore, we're partnering with the Disabled American Veterans Office, and will apportion our available resources among Veterans and Veterans' families as recommended by DAV.  Initial discussions with DAV leaders confirmed that there are highly-deserving Veterans and families right here in greater Huntsville whose Holidays will be positively touched by our contributions.

--  If you have photos you would like to share for use in the slide show, please either save them onto a flash drive and give that flash drive to RJ at a Saturday breakfast, or contact me so we can arrange another form of transfer of your photos.  We want to include them!

--  If you would like to donate items for the auction, please either plan to bring them to our banquet on the 8th, or email me to let me know that you need to deliver them prior.  We'll arrange either pickup or dropoff so that your items help to add proceeds to our Christmas gift.

Dec 21st:  NAVMC's annual gift-packing get-together, to be held at the residence of Mike and Linda Robinson.  This year's gathering will include movies and pot luck!  Watch for additional details coming out in the near future.

Dec 22nd:  NAVMC's annual gift giving day.  All who have participated in this event have been touched by the outpouring of gratitude by recipients.  Make plans to take part this year!  PM Linda Robinson on Facebook to let her know you wish to participate!

Dec 29th:  PLEASE NOTE THIS DATE CHANGE!!!  (No, I won't change it anymore--I now understand how the date of the event is selected--it's the last Saturday of the year! ;D)  Last Ride of the Year to the Stagecoach Cafe, 52860 AL-59, Stockton, AL 36579.  I'm planning to travel to Stockton this year.  If any of you wish to join me, please let me know.  Fearless Mike Ashbaugh has notified me that he's in this year as well, and Raymond Cox told me he's likely going to join in for his second year in a row!  To ease the logistics, I have an open invitation from a MotorcycleAlabama forum member who lives ~20 miles from Stockton to spend the night at his place.  He can accommodate up to six riders...

Jan 26, 2019:  Dania Beach, FL 13th Annual Vintage Bike Show.  I'll be traveling to Florida to join NAVMC member and South Florida resident Bob Brandner for this exciting show.  I was joined last year by Raymond Cox, who rode his Triumph down for the show, and it was a real treat--all the more so considering the fantastic South Florida weather!

July 2019:  Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club's Tri-Fest '19, to be held at Two Wheels of Suches during the week/end including July 13-14.  This year's inaugural event drew tremendous interest and applause, and there is no doubt that next year's gathering will be larger.  Go ahead and start working reservations and planning for a "Triumph-ant" weekend!

WEEKLY GATHERINGS:

--All of our weekly gatherings are open gatherings of motorcyclists and motorcycle enthusiasts.  These are NOT vintage-specific, and you need not own/ride a bike to participate.  Each presents great opportunities to share some food/drink and enjoy a great time in the company of a wide variety of people who enjoy the world of motorcycling.  Give 'em a try!

NOTE:  All of these gatherings continue throughout the winter season, whether participants ride or drive.

Sunday 12pm:  Alan Nicholson's Sunday Afternoon BBQ Rides, originating at noon at Barnes and Noble Booksellers, 2750 Carl T Jones Dr SE, Huntsville, AL 35802.  With the weather getting less predictable, be sure to watch Facebook for updates on these weekly rides.

Monday 5pm:  El Portal Restaurant in Hartselle, 1901 US-31, Hartselle, AL 35640

Tuesday 5pm:  Straight to Ale in Huntsville, Campus 805 at the intersection of Clinton Ave and Governors Drive.

Tuesday 5pm:  Champy's Fried Chicken, 120 2nd St, Muscle Shoals  (David Owen confirmed this week that this gathering is still OPEN FOR BUSINESS!)  Let's ride up and surprise them!

Thursday 5pm:  Sam's Sports Grill, 1208 Beltline Rd SW, Decatur, AL 35601.

Saturday 8am:  Breakfast at the Blue Plate Cafe II, corner of S. Memorial Parkway and Byrd Spring Rd.

Please let me know what I've missed.  See you on the road!

Let's Ride!

Marc
MotorcycleAlabama:  renchinrider
Instagram:  renchinrider
Twitter:  @globalrider1966
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!