News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

North Alabama Vintage Riders Digest for Nov 24, 2018

Started by renchinrider, November 28, 2018, 05:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Hi, Everyone!

I hope all of you enjoyed your Thanksgiving as much as I did.  We spent the holiday in Texas with family, and it was fantastic.

I'm starting this week's Digest with some vintage racing lore to keep things exciting during this period of lesser activity.

First, here's a cool vintage photo posted on Twitter by "Wind Burned Eyes".  It features Giacomo Agostini MV Agusta  #1 and Phil Read Yamaha Dutch GP Assen 1971.  Click the link below to follow:

https://twitter.com/WindburnedEyes/status/1066345812312117251?s=01

Next, here's a good story from Cycle World about Dick Mann and how he won the Daytona 200 in 1971 on a BSA.  This was a time of many changes in motorcycle racing, and Mann's cool-headed racing style enabled him to leverage the technological innovations of the time to his advantage.

https://www.cycleworld.com/how-dick-mann-and-bsa-won-daytona?con=TrueAnthem&dom=tw&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5bf8dad79ac56400018b7a7d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

No time like now to plan for next year's travels.  Here's another article of interest, appropriately penned by a blogger whose Twitter handle is  "The Arctic Rider"!

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/how-to-plan-a-long-distance-motorcycle-trip/

I'm told we had a small group of dedicated NAVMC members who gathered for breakfast Saturday, and even passed the 50/50 bucket around the table to gather funds for our Holiday gift-giving.  Thanks to all who participated!

Here's what I'm tracking for upcoming events:

Dec 1:  The Annual Eldridge Toy Run Classic Car and Bike Show.  I'll be out of state that weekend, but here's where Eldridge is located for anyone who is nearby, or would like to ride there and take part, along with the event's website:  http://www.eldridgetoyrun.com

Dec 8:  NAVMC's annual Christmas Banquet, at the Blue Plate Cafe, from 11 am until 1 pm.  Events will include a slide show, and an auction to benefit selected Veterans and their families at the Holidays.

--  If you have photos you would like to share for use in the slide show, please either save them onto a flash drive and give that flash drive to RJ at a Saturday breakfast, or contact me so we can arrange another form of transfer of your photos.  We want to include them!

--  If you would like to donate items for the auction, please either plan to bring them to our banquet on the 8th, or email me to let me know that you need to deliver them prior.  We'll arrange either pickup or dropoff so that your items help to add proceeds to our Christmas gift.

Dec 21st:  NAVMC's annual gift-packing get-together, to be held at the residence of Mike and Linda Robinson.  This year's gathering will include movies and pot luck!  Watch facebook for late-breaking information.  I'll post a special edition of The Digest when I have additional specifics.

Dec 22nd:  NAVMC's annual gift giving day.  All who have participated in this event have been touched by the outpouring of gratitude by recipients.  Make plans to take part this year!  PM Linda Robinson on Facebook to let her know you wish to participate!

Dec 29th:  Last Ride of the Year to the Stagecoach Cafe, 52860 AL-59, Stockton, AL 36579.  I'm planning to travel to Stockton this year.  If any of you wish to join me, please let me know.  Fearless Mike Ashbaugh has notified me that he's going this year as well, and "Iceberg" Raymond Cox told me he's likely going to join in for his second year in a row!  To ease the logistics, I have an open invitation from a MotorcycleAlabama forum member who lives ~20 miles from Stockton to spend the night at his place.  He can accommodate up to six riders...

Jan 26, 2019:  Dania Beach, FL 13th Annual Vintage Bike Show.  I'll be traveling to Florida to join NAVMC member and South Florida resident Bob Brandner for this exciting show.  I was joined last year by Raymond Cox, who rode his Triumph down for the show, and it was a real treat--all the more so considering the fantastic South Florida weather!

July 2019:  Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club's Tri-Fest '19, to be held at Two Wheels of Suches during the week/end including July 13-14.    Go ahead and start working reservations, either at Two Wheels of Suches, or nearby!

WEEKLY GATHERINGS:

--All of our weekly activities are gatherings of motorcyclists and motorcycle enthusiasts.  These are NOT vintage-specific, and you need not own/ride a bike to participate.  Each presents great opportunities to share some food/drink and enjoy a great time in the company of a wide variety of people who enjoy the world of motorcycling.  Give 'em a try!

NOTE:  All of these gatherings continue throughout the winter season, whether participants ride or drive.

Sunday 12pm:  Alan Nicholson's Sunday Afternoon BBQ Rides, originating at noon at Barnes and Noble Booksellers, 2750 Carl T Jones Dr SE, Huntsville, AL 35802.  With the weather getting less predictable, be sure to watch Facebook for updates on these weekly rides.

Monday 5pm:  El Portal Restaurant in Hartselle, 1901 US-31, Hartselle, AL 35640

Tuesday 5pm:  Straight to Ale in Huntsville, Campus 805 at the intersection of Clinton Ave and Governors Drive.

Tuesday 5pm:  Champy's Fried Chicken, 120 2nd St, Muscle Shoals  (David Owen confirmed this week that this gathering is still OPEN FOR BUSINESS!)  Let's ride up and surprise them!

Thursday 5pm:  Sam's Sports Grill, 1208 Beltline Rd SW, Decatur, AL 35601.

Saturday 8am:  Breakfast at the Blue Plate Cafe II, corner of S. Memorial Parkway and Byrd Spring Rd.

Please let me know what I've missed.  See you on the road!

Let's Ride!

MotorcycleAlabama:  renchinrider
Instagram:  renchinrider
Twitter:  @globalrider1966
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Nice Goat

I'm hoping to make the Last Ride of the Year again this year, but I might have to work.  I won't know until last minute.  The joys of working for a large company...

I think the event is actually on Dec. 30th, but I would prefer to ride down the day before.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

renchinrider

Good morning, 'Goat!

I just called Stagecoach to confirm the date:  The lady told me it is going to be on Saturday, the 29th.

Please let me/us know if you're riding down.  Mike Ashbaugh lives down your way, and perhaps we can establish a rally point in the Cullman area and all ride down together?

Look forward to seeing you!!!  (Yes, I'm planning optimistically that you can make it! ;)  We can even do a coin toss to see who buys the pie! :D

gulfcoaster

I'm planning on being at the Last Ride of the Year.  I haven't spoke with Chuck & Susan yet, but if they're going I'll probably meet up with them South of Stockton again and ride up 225.  Depending on weather I may ride the little Beta up.

renchinrider

Sure hope you can make it!  I talked to Chuck and Susan at Barber, but haven't firmed up plans with them yet.  Kinda waiting to see what the weather's going to do... ::)