News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Hacks (sidecars)

Started by 2372ighost, December 01, 2018, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2372ighost

I'm thinking about putting my toe in the world of Hacks. I'm going to look at a Ural.
Besides Scooter, are there any other members that drive a sidecar rig? I don't want to be the Lone Ranger.
Ural, Dnepr, CJ, or customs?

Rich
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Nice Goat

I think @Yankee Dog has a Ural.  @polarissalesman sells them in Hamilton.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Quote from: 2372ighost on December 01, 2018, 02:13:47 PM
I'm thinking about putting my toe in the world of Hacks. I'm going to look at a Ural.
Besides Scooter, are there any other members that drive a sidecar rig? I don't want to be the Lone Ranger.
Ural, Dnepr, CJ, or customs?

Rich

Guy on ADVRider has one for sell, 2009 Ural Patrol T in WV, for $5,000.00, 25,590 miles, 2wd. Neutral light doesn't work but he has a replacement that will work to go with it.

Linky for addy;

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2009-ural-patrol-t-wv.1348967/

I do not know him at all, but looks like a good rig in the crappy pictures. ;) Have NO idea if the price is fair, good, or to much as I do not know what they go for new and it is a drive to see it.

I DO thinks they a cool looking  motorcycle though.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

KevinB

Paging @Moto Guzzi  to the white courtesy phone.

Moto Guzzi

I bought a 2013 Ural Gear Up back in March after wanting one for several years. It is an absolute hoot. Urals do have occasional issues but most are easy fixes. Check out the Soviet Steeds forum or the Hacks forum on Advrider.

Guntersville Powersports is a dealer as is Motorsports Superstore in Hamilton (polarissalesman works there).

A friend of mine bought Yankee Dog's Ural and she is having a blast with it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm new to sidecars but willing to offer assistance if you want to check one out.

2372ighost

Thanks one and all. I will post pics of my purchase in the next day or so. I'm going to have to correct the lean on the tug, fix an inoperable brake light switch on the rear brake, and do all fluid changes. I'm going to do some drills at the church parking lot to get comfortable with right hand turns specifically.
I would like to do a ride with the other hack drivers when the weather and my abilities both improve ;D

2006 Patrol with 4900mi.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Moto Guzzi

If you don't already have a copy this is a great book for sidecars.  Good info and range layouts to use while learning to ride an outfit.

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/yellow-book/

In what part of Alabama are you located?  I'm always up for a ride.  I'm just north of Birmingham.

Scooter

I am not an expert by any means. I have a total of 7 yrs experience in one rig and that is the one that I own. But I am more than happy to share my thoughts and knowledge for it's worth. But I have never ridden or worked on a Ural. However I would assume that basic adjustments would be similar. You will have to have lean out and some amount of toe in. My Harley has 1 1/2 degrees lean out and 1/2" of toe in. I have 9" of lead on the side car wheel. Meaning the sidecar wheel sits 9" in front of the rear wheel on the tug. You want to do all of this while keeping the frame of the sidecar level.
I am sure if you have taken the plunge into sidecars, you will give it a chance. You will either hate them or love them. If you get it sorted out to where is drives as it should, I bet you will too love it. They open up a entire new world of motorcycling. The world of Ural is huge, just not in this area. But the hack forum on Adventure Riders is full of info, with great knowledge and experience as well as Soviet steeds. There is help out there for whatever you might need. Again, if I can help in any way, let me know..
Scooter

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Scooter

And find a large parking lot you can do large figure 8's. As you gain confidence you can gain a little speed and tighten up the figure 8's and you will begin to see and feel some sidecar lift. Do this a lot. Then do some more. I promise the conform level will grow. But you will have some scary moments once you get into traffic. But take your time. As much time as you want on back roads, less traveled roads and with time it will all click for ya and you'll want to ride it everywhere. But also know there will be no fast gas stops, no fast stops for milk, bread or beer. Everyone will want to talk to you about your rig. What's it like? Is is just like riding a two wheeler? Will you take me for a ride? Honestly, if you don't people, don't buy a sidecar.......
Scooter

2372ighost

Thanks Moto Guzzi and Scooter, I will be leaning on you both.  :)
A hack rig has been on my "to do list" for a long time. When Scooter joined up, that really put me over the edge.
I have a copy of the "yellow book" and on my second slow read of the maneuvers.
I also joined Soviet Steeds and have been lurking for a while. Also ADV rider for a while since getting my KLR.
Moto Guzzi, I live in Gardendale.

I think my motorcycle golf bag is full of clubs now.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Scooter

Also, I forgot to mention, I started out with 75 lbs of ballast sitting under the seat of my rig. Pushed as far to the right as possible to help with the learning and making sure the sidecar did not lift much. I probably rode it that way for 5k miles. I no longer use or need ballast, even on twisty roads. You will learn at what speed you need to enter right handlers and when you can apply power coming out of the turns. Also, if it is pulling right or left, just a small amount, you can play with tire air pressures. Plus the Crowne of the road plays the most in rig set up. You can have it perfect for one road and then change highways and you may feel some pull from either right or left..

Ya gotta love to tinker, it's part of the experience.
Scooter

Moto Guzzi

Cool.  My friend who bought Yankee Dog's Ural lives in the Gardendale area too.

Like Scooter, I started out with sandbags in the hack, 2 @ 50lb ea up front and 1 in the trunk.  I eliminated them one at a time at 2 week intervals after a month or so of riding it.  Lots of opinions out there on using ballast or not but I think it helped.  The rest of Scooter's advice is spot on too.  I still take it easy in right handers, I'm still learning that bit!

Scooter

Annie and I went for a ride today. Mid 60's here today in Montgomery. While out, another tip I remembered is when you are in to a right hand turn and the chair begins to lift, just apply a very small amount of front brake and it will sit the chair back down...
Scooter

2372ighost

Thanks Scooter, good info,  I'll practice that.
Moto Guzzi, it's good to have close local riders to lead the way. 
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

2372ighost

Picked up the rig today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390