News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Hacks (sidecars)

Started by 2372ighost, December 01, 2018, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moto Guzzi

Very nice.  I like that green.  What size is your trailer?  I only had a 5x8 utility trailer when I bought mine.  Had to borrow my brother's 6x14 to bring it home from Florida.  I've since sold the 5x8 and bought a 6x12.

Here's my Ural Gear Up.

2372ighost

The rig was a beast to handle!! This is the reason why. Side car wants to turn left.

Tug wants to turn right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

2372ighost

Moto Guzzi, I have a 6x10.
This is the first adjustment on the hack. Picture crooked

Tug

What an amazing difference. Did a 1 mile straight road with left turns at either end. 40mph, 3rd gear 3500rpm.
I think I can do this!! With practice
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

2372ighost

This is how off it was up front after leveling and lean out.

The bolt on the left is what belongs in the rear tug support.
The one on the right is what was there.

2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Scooter

2372ighost you are well on the way of being "bite" by the bug. In just a few hours you have already corrected numerous issues and made needed improvements. It's only gets better from here. The rig looks great. Actually it almost new. Both of y'all rigs look great.

Moto Guzzi, I am assuming by your name you have a guzzi. I had a 1975 850T, that I cafe'd and added the second disk to make it a T3. That was many years ago, but will most likely go down as the most reliable motorcycle I ever owned. I bought it as a basket case and spent a lot of time and dollars on it, but also put many, many happy miles on it without ever having an issue. Not even a light bulb. Totally bulletproof...
Scooter

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Scooter

Also, just in case you guys might be interested, there is a good sidecar rally the last weekend of April in Stecoah NC at the Iron Horse Resort. Called Sidecars in the Smokies. I attended two years ago and had a blast and met numerous, really knowledgable folks. Several Urals there and also several high dollar, high horsepower rigs too. Probably 50 plus rigs there. There is also one in Georgia, that is put in by the Georgia sidecar club. I'll see if I can find the date for it. To my knowledge, there is nothing in Alabama, but come spring, I'd love to ride up ya'lls way for a meet up..
Until then, enjoy your rigs. My love for sidecar rigs only grows each time I get it out to play.
Scooter

Moto Guzzi

I had a 1975 850 T3 that I got back on the road after it sat in a barn for 30 years.  Like yours, bought as a non-running, non-moving (calipers were frozen) basket case.  Also spent a fair amount of $$$ and lots of time getting it back on the road.  Put 20,000 miles on it then sold it to a friend who had wanted it from the day it was road-ready.  Only Guzzi I currently have is a Robin moped lol.  I do like the look of the new V85TT quite a bit.  I hope to get another Guzzi soon for sure.  Like a sidecar, they get in your blood.

Moto Guzzi

2372ighost good job on getting the set up sorted.  Key to a good handling rig.

2372ighost

Sidecars in the smokies sounds like a doable trip. By April, I should be comfortable on a trip that far.
A group contingent from AL. Would be fun.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Moto Guzzi

A Rally trip sounds good!  The Tin Shed Pow Wow in Fayetteville TN was in October this year, if it repeats next year that would a good one to keep in mind too. 

Besides my friend in Gardendale there are a few other Ural riders around in Alabama, one up in Hartselle ( he is active on the Soviet Steeds site) and another who lives near Birmingham.  Haven't heard from him since February but as far as I know he still has his Ural. 

Scooter

Any of them Sounds like fun! We just gotta make it happen next yr. and the more the better.
Scooter

bblass

Quote from: 2372ighost on December 03, 2018, 07:50:59 PM
Picked up the rig today.

Go ahead and put me down as first in line if you ever decide to part ways with her. That bike is beautiful!
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

polarissalesman

Quote from: 2372ighost on December 01, 2018, 02:13:47 PM
I'm thinking about putting my toe in the world of Hacks. I'm going to look at a Ural.
Besides Scooter, are there any other members that drive a sidecar rig? I don't want to be the Lone Ranger.
Ural, Dnepr, CJ, or customs?

Rich, I have a woodland camo Gear-up 2wd on the showroom floor.... call me @ 205-430-2533
"keep the rubber side down"

2372ighost

Waiting on filter and Orings. Going to mod a air oil separator for the crankcase. Ordered rear brake switch. Changed all fluids. Adjusted tire pressures. Adjusted clutch engagement. Replaced tail light bulb. Saturday I'll polish the wheels. When I run out of "to do's" , I'll have to drive it😄
I'm blessed with the fact that the rig has been in a garage it's whole life and not been ridden off-road.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Scooter

Sounds like a plan that is coming together nicely! Keep us informed as you complete the tasks to a roadworthy rig...
Scooter