News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A TAT for Alabama?

Started by springer, December 14, 2018, 02:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Has anyone done this? No, not get a tattoo of Alabama but a map of off-road trails in Alabama? Asking for a friend...
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrobinson

GAM had one on BR or MC-AL. I'm not sure if it survived the crashes. I'll look for it.

gulfcoaster

The only thing I've ever seen to include Alabama is the SEAT(Southeast Adventure Trail) on ADV.  I think it runs up the east side of AL before going back into GA.

TWJohn

My first Tattoo was an outline of Alabama and a star on the capital.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

kylepeterson

Quote from: springer on December 14, 2018, 02:50:14 PM
Has anyone done this? No, not get a tattoo of Alabama but a map of off-road trails in Alabama? Asking for a friend...

there are very few off road trails that are legal.

there are a bunch of dirt roads though

start here
https://gravelmap.com
just give 'er the berries !

Gam

Quote from: jrobinson on December 14, 2018, 06:40:43 PM
GAM had one on BR or MC-AL. I'm not sure if it survived the crashes. I'll look for it.

That original file has a good number of gated and non existent dirt roads,  little dead end basecamp stubs and death loops....I know the work arounds, but never put it all together,  I stopped revising it at the 6th revision. I have ridden it all except the far western portion along the MS border,  less than 600 miles out of a little over 2000 miles left to ride.  I was talking to one of my riding buddies last week, we are going to ride what's left this Winter when we can both put 3 days together.  That ride I took last New Year's to Conecuh NF got the far southern part.

Gam

Quote from: kylepeterson on December 16, 2018, 06:14:54 AM

start here

That's an awesome map. You can see that to stay on dirt as much as possible you have to make the loop "U" shaped.

springer

Quote from: kylepeterson on December 16, 2018, 06:14:54 AM

start here

Yep, told him about that map app and he has it on his phone now. Y'all know who he is, he was on an old version of this place....Magoo. His brother passed a few years back and left him all his motorcycles...over a hundred. He sold most of them but kept a few. 1 is an older big KTM, a 990 I think, and a few other dirty bikes.
He is retired now like me, but with out the brain damage.  :D

He is looking for a mostly dirt route up to Birmingham and I am sort of looking for a mostly dirt route down to south Alabama for the End of the Year ride and to visit friends of mine in P-cola and the Gulf Breeze area.

He is finding a lot of stuff in the same condition as I, locked up with a gate across it.  :(

I need to get with you Kyle and get you to show me how to get the best out of Gravel Maps and that other map app thingy. I inter the coordinates but I am doing it wrong cause it will not work. In the condition I am in, it is hard for me to follow instructions and/or remember them. The ol'brain an't working like it use too.   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.