News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

My new touring bike

Started by IceCold4x4, December 27, 2018, 11:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

So I've been looking at getting a new bike that's a bit better suited to touring than the ZRX, she's become a little cranky here as of late and honestly I've taken it a bit too far down the mod path to be a "daily driver". So being the apparently loyal Kawasaki fan boy (this one is going to make the 4th one with no other brands in between), I started looking at the C14 Concours. Seen a few go for around 2500 that all have one issue or another but with life responsibilities and having to fly this past the wife I held off. Well for a while at least.

So about a week or two ago I saw a listing on face book for a concours for 1500. It was an 09 with 43k miles and well the pictures made me wonder. Mainly because it looked like they were of 2 different bikes, well maybe. So I messaged him and we played send a message and the other guy takes 6 to 12 hrs to respond, finally after a few days he sends me more pictures and a video of it running, so I ask him what the current condition was and he said that he'd fixed it after an accident and that it just needed a key fob and ecu. He warned me that was going to be between 1200 and 1500. I had already done my research and found a new ecu and key set on ebay for 400, So at this point I'm thinking I'll get a concourse for under 2k great. So we setup a time to meet, but of course as it always goes for me work screwed that up. So we reschedule it for the same day that my company moved Chitza out of her house. So we hurry up and get her taken care of then I run back to the office grab the SUV and trailer and hit the bank. Get up to Oneonta around 4. and this is what I find.

Definetly not what I call fixed, so I start looking around and notice that first off, the ignition has been drilled out, along with the seat lock, and I see some random wiring that looks cut and spliced (I later realized that it was just to the accessory lighting led's.) So I told the guy that it was really more work than I was looking for at the moment but I was going to pass. He then asked if there was a number that I'd take it with me. I thought about it for a few minutes and started adding numbers in my head and thinking of every worst case scenario. I came back and immediately apologized for how low my offer was going to be but that if you started adding up parts it quickly could become way more than what another bike would cost me, he said he understood so I hit him with 500, honestly at this point i was ready to leave and keep looking, he hemmed and hawed about there being no way he could let it go for less than 1000. So I apologized for wasting his time and wished him luck and told him that he'd have better luck parting it out, and would likely get the 1500 he wanted  out in parts. I turn around and start walking to the SUV and he says damn could you do 700? And son of a gun he couldn't have guessed the number that I had in my head as my top dollar for not being in it the wrong way, as even if i couldn't get the required parts and what not I could part it out and damn sure break even quickly. So I said yes, and we went and did the paperwork. I dropped it and the trailer off at work that night before going home.

So fast forward a couple of days and I got looking at it and ordered some parts managed to find the ecu and fobs for 400 from a dealer in ark that had been sitting on the shelf quite a few years. ordered a new foot peg for the left side and a used lock set for 70 bucks. So other than the flat rear tire that I think i've got a spare PR4 laying around somewhere, and a basic fluid change I think I made out ok

Nice Goat

Man, if you get that thing running and cleaned up for less than $1,500, that will definitely be the best deal I've heard of this year, maybe this decade.  I hope that the internals are in better shape that the outside.  Great find.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

merc16

So once you get the new ecu and key set installed, will you have to have a diagnostic tool to "marry" that set of keys to the ecu/ignition ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Justin

kylepeterson

just give 'er the berries !

IceCold4x4

Quote from: merc16 on December 28, 2018, 02:35:51 PM
So once you get the new ecu and key set installed, will you have to have a diagnostic tool to "marry" that set of keys to the ecu/ignition ?

That's a dealership trip unfortunately. A yine j ow of a local dealer thats not a moron with this kind of thing. Pinnacle isn't inspiring confidence when talking to them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

merc16

You'll probably need to talk to them in person.

Justin

IceCold4x4

Quote from: merc16 on December 28, 2018, 04:57:10 PM
You'll probably need to talk to them in person.

When I have to ask if they have the kds3 software and get an uhhhhhh response it worries me....

springer

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on December 28, 2018, 05:00:06 PM
When I have to ask if they have the kds3 software and get an uhhhhhh response it worries me....

I would stop by in person, if you can. If they do not have what you need in the shop, they will direct to to someone who can do it. So far, I have seen a huge improvement with that shop since the new owners took over. HUGE.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on December 28, 2018, 05:00:06 PM

Call AllSport in Decatur and talk to Ashley Owens.  He's in charge of the Service Dept.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

renchinrider

Any updates for us, Ice?  Would love to hear how your "barn find" has turned out!  Yours has been an exciting story, thus far. ;)
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

kylepeterson

I can't wait to see this $700 beast cruising down the interstate next to $30 and $40,000 bikes... with that super smug look on the owners face ;-)
just give 'er the berries !

2372ighost

Update? We're all dying to know if she "Lives".
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

merc16

Anyone ? Anyone ? Bueller ?
Justin

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

IceCold4x4

It's still sitting in the warehouse. Work has gotten busy early this year with my boss having his neck broken. Going to toss on a set of tires this weekend and then get it to a dealer asap, talked with a guy in the service dept. at pinnacle and he said he's done one before and new about making sure the battery is good a fully topped off before starting the procedure.

After that it'll be fixing an engine mount that has a stripped bolt. And seeing what condition the brakes are in and if the rotors got bent in the accident.

Wife finally got a job again so it's safe to let her in on the purchase.