Bringing back to life an old friend.

Started by springer, January 07, 2019, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Once I get started on it, I will have the mods move into its proper place but for now, it is just the parts gathering, so I just put this here.(Mods feel free to move it if it needs it)
So, some of y'all here might recall the XR650L I bought more than a few years ago. It was pretty much a wrecked. The previous owner had done an endo, going over the bars and the motorcycle going end over end behind him. He came out of it okay, the bike? Not so much. So I rebuilt it...on the cheap. New(ish) plastics, a Clark plastic tank, and sort of got the rear frame assembly bent back into a use-able forum.
It ran and did pretty good;

Until that is until it didn't.  :D

So I started collecting parts;

Until finally I got my hands on the last part. A hard part to find and when you find it there is;
1. Something wrong, dented, or broke.
2. Honda sells it still but can anyone afford it is the question

So what is it? An original Honda gas tank WITH the "cooling wings" that direct the air flow to the air-cooled engine.

Winning!
Plan on diving into it all. Got a lot of stuff to do, but when I am done...it will be a beast.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

springer

I put picture links into the post...from photobucket...thumbnail size so they did not show up HUGE like the normal size do...but yet they do not show up at all.  :(
Will an admin send me a PM on "How to accomplish this"? I thought we spent some $ to fix this? We raised some cash at Barbers...maybe some can be spent here for this?
Putting up pictures on this site has became a pain in the rear. 1 reason I do not post much here anymore.  :(
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrobinson

I clicked on Direct  under Photo Hosting Links. This copied the direct link.

next click on the Mona Lisa icon, first from left on bottom row. Hover over and it says "Insert image"

When you click the Insert Image icon you will see  [ img ] blicking cursor [ /img ]  There will not be any spaces.

Next Press Ctrl V at same time to paste link copied from Photobucket. You will then see the pic below.

springer

Okay, so I started putting the gas cap on...that is keyed for another bike. No joy. The key turns this tab thingy that sticks out and will lock the cap...problem is, I haven't got the right key...the key for mine will not fit. So, off I go to the local Honda Shop to see what options I have. A new keyed cap, with key, $55.00, a key made by them, $45.00, buy a blank from them and pay a locksmith to do it, $15.00.
So...forget that, I head home. Pull out my Dremel tool, cut-off wheel and get to work.  ;) Cut off the little tab and;

Success is achieved. Redneck engineering, got a masters in it I do.  ;)