News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Shinko 804/805

Started by DonJuan, January 13, 2019, 08:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonJuan

Anyone have these tires and care to give a review?

I was planning on running these for either the SM500 ride or the TN Southern Discovery dual sport rides.

I mounted some up yesterday, and so far my only complaint is that they look rather wimpy compared to the D606 set I removed. They're rather small/ thin tires.
look at the vast difference btw the 606 and the 805

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

Slede

i'm running them on my tenere. they are squirly at low speed but get good when you spin it up. on road I run that thing like a crotch rocket and it sticks  like it's on rails.
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

DonJuan

Quote from: Slede on January 13, 2019, 08:35:30 PM
i'm running them on my tenere. they are squirly at low speed but get good when you spin it up. on road I run that thing like a crotch rocket and it sticks  like it's on rails.
Thanks Slede. I bought them because my 606s tend to slide and lock up on pavement... But  there's still that offroad hook-up requirement when talking dual sport.

I guess you never truly find a 50/50 tire.  The Dunlops were great offroad and onroad as long as you dont have to stop quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

springer

Quote from: DonJuan on January 14, 2019, 08:20:26 PM
Thanks Slede. I bought them because my 606s tend to slide and lock up on pavement... But  there's still that offroad hook-up requirement when talking dual sport.

I guess you never truly find a 50/50 tire.  The Dunlops were great offroad and onroad as long as you dont have to stop quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Take a look at the MEFO Explorer line. They are a bit more off-road than a true 50/50 tire but they hold up well to pavement.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mefo-explorer-dual-sport-tires
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

norton73

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/heidenau-k60-scout-tires

Personally,  I am a big fan of the Heidenau k60 scouts. The 90/90-21 front has a taller profile and makes my GS turn in very fast, especially on road. It also slices through the dirt well too.
A lot of people report getting 10k+ miles out of the rears, I get 8-9k.

I keep eyeballing the mefos and other tires, but I hate to lose what I have now with the Heidenau tires.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

springer

Quote from: norton73 on January 15, 2019, 09:53:47 AM
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/heidenau-k60-scout-tires

Personally,  I am a big fan of the Heidenau k60 scouts. The 90/90-21 front has a taller profile and makes my GS turn in very fast, especially on road. It also slices through the dirt well too.
A lot of people report getting 10k+ miles out of the rears, I get 8-9k.

I keep eyeballing the mefos and other tires, but I hate to lose what I have now with the Heidenau tires.
You find what works, stick to it, my motto on life.  ;)

That is what I love about motorcycling. What brand you ride, what type you ride, how long or how short of a time you ride, we ALL have something in common.  ;) ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Slablog

One of these days I'm gonna get me another set of wheels and just keep two sets for switching out, so I can switch to those knobby tires like you guys ride when I want to go play in the woods. Or better still, just get a second bike for that.  :D
Visit, listen and comment please
Slablog Podcasts

norton73

I have two sets of wheels for my old R100GS. I used to run Avon Gripsters on one set and TKC80s on the other. Since I started using the Heidenaus, the set with the TKC80s has been gathering dust and cobwebs.
I pulled them out last year to look at them and the date on them is from 2009.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

DonJuan

I've been commuting the last two days on the KLR.  The Shinko 804/805E's are doing great and we're pretty awesome in the rain today. I had the opportunity to ride through a flooded road on the  way home, so it was almost like dual sporting.

They are really road and rain worthy, so we'll give them an offroad test soon. I tried to get them to break loose under aggressive throttle on the wet road with no luck.

To be fair, I loved the D606 combo, and my only complaint about the factory Dunlop K750 was the performance in really loose gravel or sand.

So, maybe I'm easily pleased, or I dont expect much.  Either way, I'm rating them about 8/10 right now, and the only deductions are for not looking as badass as a real Knobblie tire does.

KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

rider_marc

I fit this pair to my AT early last year before heading out west. After about a week, I took them off and put an MT-21 in front and a Motoz Tractionator in back. Just wanted way better off-pavement gription. After I returned, I put the 804/805's back on for the street, but I couldn't get to trusting them. Put on some Pirelli's for the winter riding.

- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM