News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Best places for gear?

Started by ladylikeloser, February 15, 2019, 04:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylikeloser

I'm having quite a hard time finding a pair of gloves for myself. I have pretty small hands, but long, skinny fingers. Because of this, it has been incredibly difficult to find gloves that actually fit my hands as they should. (And gloves that aren't pink. Why is EVERY piece of women's gear pink?!?) Either they fit perfectly in the palm but are too short for my fingers, or they fit my fingers but are uncomfortably loose everywhere else. This makes it hard for me to order online and the shops close to me carry little to no gear, especially for women. It's so frustrating. Where are some good shops that have at least a decent amount of gear available for women?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

klaviator

Cycle Gear has the largest selection of gloves of any place I have been and they do carry a lot of Ladies stuff.  There is a Cycle Gear in Huntsville and another somewhere in the Birmingham area.  None of the Huntsville area motorcycle dealers have much of a selection of riding gear.  Max Motorsports in Pelham has a decent amount of riding gear but I didn't specifically look at their gloves.

There are vendors every year at The Barber Vintage fest and I remember seeing some good name brand gloves for sale there. 

I have a lot of gloves and have bought most of them at Cycle Gear.  That's where I would start.

sctparker

Riders Harley in Trussville  probably best bet for lady riding apparel  Heart of Dixie in Pelham has some but not as much or like mentioned above Cycle Gear the Hoover store doesn't have much

ladylikeloser

Thanks, guys!

I'd heard lots of good things about Cycle Gear, but since the nearest one to me is about an hour away, I didn't want to drive all the way out there for nothing! Haha. I'll check out the other recommendation as well!

What are some good brands to look into? I've heard mixed things about Icon brand and Joe Rocket. At least, I think that's what it's called.

Chitza

What glove and what brand depends a lot on what you want from the glove. Winter/cold weather? Water proof? Summer/air flow? What's important in a glove? Comfort, protection, flexibility? You may have to try several to see what you like. That may change depending on season and length of the ride for that day. I have about 5-6 pairs of gloves and rarely leave the house without two extra pair in my tank bag. I know when I first started riding, consistency was most important. Any change in gear took adjusting and interferes with my concentration. But I'm an old fart and my brain isn't flexible  ;D

The cool thing about Cycle Gear is that they have a GREAT return policy. Essentially "no questions asked."  Even if you order from them online, you can return it to the store.

You can always ask to try on my gloves if we get to ride/meet. I have very small hands, too :)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

ladylikeloser

Quote from: Chitza on February 15, 2019, 08:57:56 PM
What glove and what brand depends a lot on what you want from the glove. Winter/cold weather? Water proof? Summer/air flow? What's important in a glove? Comfort, protection, flexibility? You may have to try several to see what you like. That may change depending on season and length of the ride for that day. I have about 5-6 pairs of gloves and rarely leave the house without two extra pair in my tank bag. I know when I first started riding, consistency was most important. Any change in gear took adjusting and interferes with my concentration. But I'm an old fart and my brain isn't flexible  ;D

The cool thing about Cycle Gear is that they have a GREAT return policy. Essentially "no questions asked."  Even if you order from them online, you can return it to the store.

You can always ask to try on my gloves if we get to ride/meet. I have very small hands, too :)
That would be great as I plan on having several pair, and being able to try some on beforehand would make things a bit simpler. I think! I'm sure that much the same with clothing, gloves probably vary in sizing depending on brand/style. I don't do much winter riding. I'm not built for the cold, so most of my riding is in 60+ degree weather.  I typically go for 4+ hours if my fiancĂ© is with me, so comfort and protection are definitely going to be the biggies for me! Probably won't ever catch me in rain, so waterproof is a plus, but not a must. I'd like something touchscreen compatible so I don't have to remove my gloves every time we make a quick stop and I want to respond to a text or put on a certain playlist, scroll through Instagram/snap a nice photo, etc. Above all, really going for protection and comfort.

KevinB

If you decide to try internet ordering, www.motorcyclegear.com is a great site.

Excellent and honest product reviews, and they give helpful sizing information. Returns are painless too.

ladylikeloser

Quote from: KevinB on February 15, 2019, 11:58:16 PM
If you decide to try internet ordering, www.motorcyclegear.com is a great site.

Excellent and honest product reviews, and they give helpful sizing information. Returns are painless too.
Sounds great! If I can't find anything I like with a local business, I'll definitely look them up! Thanks a million.

JBMFT

I don't mean to hijack this thread but @KevinB, love your profile picture!

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

Hammerdown77

The Klim gloves I've tried on (most of them, can't remember specific models) had noticeably longer fingers for a given palm size.

And I think Held gloves offer different finger lengths for the same size (short/long).

Neither of those are inexpensive options, but if they fit....
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

ladylikeloser

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I went to a few shops, got my size in  a few different brands and ended up finding a pair I couldn't resist! They fit like a glove (pun intended) and they're the color I wanted as an added bonus!

I can't thank you guys enough for the suggestions!