News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

And just like that, it stopped raining.

Started by klaviator, February 24, 2019, 05:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

After what seemed like 40 days and 40 nights of rain, it just stopped and then the sun came out.  People wandered outside and wondered what that big bright thing in the sky was ???

But some of us did more than just wander outside staring at the sun.  Some of us got on our bikes and went riding. 

The plan was to meet some other riders and ride to High Falls.  There was just one small problem with my plan.  The rain may have stopped but the water was still there.

I had to turn around a re route three times on my way to the meeting place in New Hope.  It turns out the other riders had to re route as well.  But we all made it without drowning and soon were ready to ride.

We stopped at the Natural Bridge on Cottonville road.

And then had a pretty nice ride to High Falls without any more re routes.  As expected High Falls was not exactly dry!

I thought there was a lot of water flowing the last couple of times I was here but this was way more.  There was no getting down by the falls like you normally can because it was all flooded.

The view from the bridge.

I hope those bridge support are real sturdy.

One more shot of the falls.

We were planning on eating at the South Sauty store but changed our minds and headed back to Guntersville.  We took a short break because we came up behind two big trailers and didn't want to poke along behind them on some nice curves.  As you can see the water was all an ugly brown.

klaviator

We had lunch at a Mexican place in Guntersville then headed North on 431.  I had never been down to the Guntersville Lock and Dam on this side of the river so we took a short detour.

I was expecting the water flowing over dam would be more impressive but the river is so flooded that the water wasn't dropping that far.

Then it was time to leave.  this should have been a very simple evolution but leave it to the guy on the BMW to make it complicated :D

Who would have thunk that a month of rain might make the grass a little slick

It was so slick we had to push him out.

A little souvenir to take home.

We went down a nice curvy dead end road but it dead ended sooner than expected.

There are a number of houses beyond this point but without a pretty high clearance vehicle they would be stuck until this water level went down.

Eventually we made it back to Huntsville and went our separate ways.  Frank and Frank, thanks for coming out.  It was good riding with you.  Hope to do it again soon. 

Frank Smith

I need knobby tires, that's all there is to it.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

David DoubleEX

I thought that was Frank Smith on the beamer!
I made the same mistake the other day but didnt get stuck. I rode in the grass around some barricades and immediately started sliding. I didnt stop so I made it fine.

Looks like it was a good ride. Wish I could have made it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Frank Smith

You're a better rider than me. The second I went to turn I was upside down and looking at blue sky.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

DesmoRyder

I had a great time today.  Win, thanks for putting the ride together!  It was nice to meet you Frank.  Let me know when you guys are ready to head to the mountains!
Frank C.
Huntsville, AL
'13 Triumph Bonneville SE
'98 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
https://www.youtube.com/user/adesmorider/videos

Hammerdown77

The bewildered onlookers in the background make those pictures extra special.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Johnny Tobyone

Nice report and ride. Would have liked to made it if I wasn't at my brother house in Co.  All those storms dumping rain there have been leaving tons of snow here.  May have to give up skiing soon my legs and lungs (12000 feet) can't take it as well any more!!   Need to get back so I can breathe!
R1200R
CRF450L