News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Scottsboro and Guntersville Lake Area

Started by rider_marc, March 10, 2019, 07:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider_marc

While the two-day ride weekend didn't happen, I was able to get the AT out for good adventure.

Got up close to the Tennessee River for some photos. There were indications, such as trees along a bank in the water, that the river's level was up. Encountered some road baracade signs in two locations. Both were spread as if folks were going through anyway. Langston Gap Road is the one with some cracking from the earth sliding underneath. The other was a flooding roadway in Buck's Pocket State Park. The Buck's Pocket didn't take long to reroute to get back on my course. The excusion took me east where I spotted an overlook area. Turns out, this overlook is about half a mile from the flooded roadway in the photo.

Saw this guy on the side of the Old Big Cove Road near Hidden Cove with a huge lens on a tripod. Spun around to see what he was photographing. It was dead tree in the middle of a small body of water and a Bald Eagle purched up high. I kept going so I wouldn't spoke the eagle.

- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

rider_marc

- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

rider_marc

Here's a link to the ride in the Rever app.

https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/1200567

- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

Sweeper

A car went off that crossing at Bucks Pocket this past week. Last I heard, they are still hunting the driver. Not deep but it's moving pretty quick sometimes.
Nice pics, wish I had made it out today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinB

Wound up in the same spot today...that was a huge amount of water flowing.

Hate to hear about the driver, but I can see where it could be deceptive as to the danger to someone clueless.

David DoubleEX

If we are talking about the same driver, I believe it was a young person in a jeep. Every driver should know not to drive through running water like that. A couple of inches can pick up your car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

norton73

The day the jeep went off the road, there was a lot more water than in the pictures today.

It amazes me that anyone tries to drive across running water like that, every time there's a flood event, there's a ton of rescues. You can see them on the TV news, various weather websites, and facebook. There's no reason to not know to do it.

I kayak South Sauty on a regular basis, we put in 7 miles upstream and take out at Buck's Pocket. I can tell you that downstream from that bridge, it's a really ugly piece of water.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

rider_marc

@KevinB, did you see a Sheriff's vehicle there? The one I saw on this side of the creek seemed to be vacant. Then, another approached the far side as I was putting away the cameras.
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

KevinB

No vehicles while we were there @3:30p or so.

jrobinson

There was 3 teenagers in the Jeep that was swept away. 2 was rescued clinging to some trees. They still haven't found the Jeep or the third guy. Prayers for the family.

Guidedawg

While you were in Buck's Pocket you could have grabbed the tag.

http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=18.225

Always looking for more players to keep things moving!

BuckeyeDoug

I live about a 2 miles from the Bald Eagle location.  That big bad boy has been hanging around for a few weeks.  Watched him pull a nice large fish out of a pond by the house that I would have liked to see in my skillet!  Impressive birds.

KevinB

Quote from: Guidedawg on March 11, 2019, 11:07:22 AM

That's where we were headed, but the detour would have put us further behind schedule than we wanted.

rider_marc

Oh wow! I need to pay attention.  :D

Quote from: Guidedawg on March 11, 2019, 11:07:22 AM

- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM