News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Riding paved goat paths in Tennessee

Started by klaviator, March 17, 2019, 08:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

i went back and looked at google maps after the ride.  I have a pretty good idea where we went and could probably duplicate the ride.  I'm going to do some more exploring.  A couple of more rides and I'll know the area pretty well. 

I recently got a new smart phone that isn't a dinosaur like my last one.  I really should load a good GPS app on it.  Any suggestions?

Nice Goat

Quote from: klaviator on March 18, 2019, 12:03:34 PM
I recently got a new smart phone that isn't a dinosaur like my last one.  I really should load a good GPS app on it.  Any suggestions?

When I simply want to record a track, I still use MotionX GPS.  It's good for hiking, riding, whatever.  Several maps to choose from, and it'll give you moving average, overall average, distance travelled, etc.  You can save the track and e-mail it to yourself as a GPX, which can be used in most any computer mapping software.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Another thing I sometimes do is take pics of road signs to help me remember. 

This was the end of the first really cool road we found:

and:

klaviator

Quote from: Nice Goat on March 18, 2019, 12:06:22 PM

When I simply want to record a track, I still use MotionX GPS.  It's good for hiking, riding, whatever.  Several maps to choose from, and it'll give you moving average, overall average, distance travelled, etc.  You can save the track and e-mail it to yourself as a GPX, which can be used in most any computer mapping software.

Does it have a speed readout?

Hammerdown77

MotionX is just for Apple products at the moment, isn't it?
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Nice Goat

Quote from: klaviator on March 18, 2019, 12:08:48 PM
Does it have a speed readout?

Yes, it does.

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on March 18, 2019, 12:13:20 PM
MotionX is just for Apple products at the moment, isn't it?

I do not know the answer to that one.  I am using an iPhone.  If you have another type of phone, you would need to verify that the MotionX app is available for your phone.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Fencejumper09

Looks like a great ride on a great day!

Hopefully I will have some free time to make it to one of your future rides!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

springer

Try Kurviger. There is a "Pro" version for $10.00 that is better with more features,  but the basic one is free.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

I have been looking at google maps.  It looks like there are a lot more good roads in the area and I'll bet there are more on the other side of Lewisburg.  I know there are also some great roads over by Lynchburg.  I plan on doing more exploring.  The only way to find the good roads is to ride them.  I can see the potential for some great group rides in that area, both DS/ADV rides as well as rides for street bikes that would avoid the gravel or really poorly paved roads.