News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Scorpion AT950 modular adv with Camera mount

Started by Mulley, March 20, 2019, 03:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulley

Yesterday I purchased a Scorpion EXO-AT950 helmet from Max Motorsports. It's unique in that it's an adventure style helmet but also a modular flip up with an internal sun visor. Today was my first day to use it and so far I am pleased. This is my first modular, my first adventure and also my first internal flip down sun visor. So a lot of first for me to get used to. Only 2 negatives so far. It's a little bit heavy and the shield is not optically perfect. I knew this going in though. You aren't getting those corrected in this price range.

Now that I'm sure that I want to keep it, I'm going to add my camera mount. So my question is: Who has mounted a Proshot chin bar camera mount onto a modular helmet? I already own the Proshot and use it often on my dirt helmet. I'm just wondering how it performs on a modular before I go sticking it on. If it's a terrible idea, let me know.

For those unfamiliar with Proshot. They look like this.

https://www.proshotcam.com/

Here's an excellent review from The Bombers at Atomic Moto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLk6JJ1Lc_w
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

klaviator

That helmet looks interesting.  I'll be checking it out next time I'm down at Max Motorsports.

springer

Had mine on today when I went out for a ride. I have Go-Pro mounts on the top (far enough back to miss the flippy part) and side. I have thought about buying a cheap cutting board, the plastic whatever type, then cut out a shape that would fit into the slidie thingy that goes up/down to let in air on the chin bar. Mine is thick enough to set about flush on the lower part. I will let you know how it goes.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Mulley

Quote from: springer on March 20, 2019, 04:50:09 PM
Had mine on today when I went out for a ride. I have Go-Pro mounts on the top (far enough back to miss the flippy part) and side. I have thought about buying a cheap cutting board, the plastic whatever type, then cut out a shape that would fit into the slidie thingy that goes up/down to let in air on the chin bar. Mine is thick enough to set about flush on the lower part. I will let you know how it goes.

Do you have the same helmet?

I don't like my camera on top for offroad use. I hate dealing with the camera catching on limbs and vines.

springer

Quote from: Mulley on March 20, 2019, 05:34:39 PM
Do you have the same helmet?

I don't like my camera on top for offroad use. I hate dealing with the camera catching on limbs and vines.
Yea, not a fan of it myself. I got my helmet and cut a small piece of some scrap cutting board that I use for mock-ups. (easier to cut than metal) Got into the mock-up and remembered why I stopped last time. To get it to stick and not come off you need epoxy. Well if you are going to use epoxy you might as well just fill the center of the slide thing with epoxy.  If you can shim the helmet so the air vent slide is level, you can then fill the hole/divite with epoxy. PMing my number if you want to text me.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chitza

I love Scorpion Gear. Good stuff at the mid price range. Until I bought my Arai, Scorpion is all I would wear. I will likely go back to it when my Arai is done. The only advantage my Arai has is that it is lighter.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Mulley

Helmet performed very well this weekend for 2 days of dirty dualsport riding. I used a heat gun to slightly bend my Proshot and it mounted up perfectly. The chin bar flipped up with no issue with my Garmin camera mounted. It is a little heavy but that was expected. I'll consider it my neck workout. When I swap back to my ultralight Just1 J12 carbon I won't even notice I'm wearing it.

klaviator

I tried one of these on at Max Motorsports.  I really liked it but it was tight on my forehead :(  I have that problem with most of the helmets I try on these days :(

springer

Quote from: klaviator on March 25, 2019, 09:54:46 AM
I tried one of these on at Max Motorsports.  I really liked it but it was tight on my forehead :(  I have that problem with most of the helmets I try on these days :(

I had the same problem with mine. After about 6 months of use, ether the foam broke in/crushed in or my hard head got harder. Ether way it is all good now.

klaviator

Quote from: springer on March 25, 2019, 07:46:52 PM
I had the same problem with mine. After about 6 months of use, ether the foam broke in/crushed in or my hard head got harder. Ether way it is all good now.

I'm considering buying one and adding a little foam where it sits on the top of my head to take pressure off my forehead. 

kylepeterson

just a heads up about going places.

when you arrive and wonder "did I bring a change of underwear ? oh crap, I didn't !" and then look over

at mulley

and he has a full tool kit

with a HEAT GUN

making things fit

LOL it's hilarious
just give 'er the berries !

springer

Well, I made a chin mount for the Scorpion 950. Took out for a spin and try out yesterday. Works pretty good, I like the angle of view it gives my Go-Pro 6;

Made it from 1" aluminum angle. I cut relief slots on the bottom of the angle where 1 side of the angle runs along the bottom of the flip up chin bar. I did that so I could bend the aluminum angle around the chin bar. Maybe the pictures can explain better if you are confused.

I used that "Super Velcro" to mount it all to the the helmet. That stuff REALLY sticks!  :D

The mount the Go-Pro is attached to allows it to be vertical like shown or I can lower the height of the Go-Pro. There are 2 ball joints on the mount that allow the camera to be place facing vertical or horizontal with the camera facing front or side. Sorta like a 360 degree mount. It is not a mount made by Go-Pro but a 3rd party vendor.

All I need now is a new computer that can handle the video editing.   :D