News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

I'm looking for a tent

Started by klaviator, March 21, 2019, 10:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I am looking to replace the 16 year old 7 x 9 Coleman tent that I use when camping out of my truck.  I already have a nice tent for camping off my bikes but sometimes I haul my bike and camping gear in my truck.  When I do that I might as well bring along the stuff that will make me more comfortable. 

What I am looking for is something that is at least 7 x 9 or maybe 8 x 10.  The big thing is that I'd like to be able to stand in it even if I have to crouch a bit.  I'm 6-2 but around 6 feet will be fine.  I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want a real cheap tent that will leak in the first heavy rain either. I want to be able to set it up myself.  I'm undecided about those tents that pop up in a minute.  I have read some reviews that say they often don't hold up to repeated use.

Any suggestions?

Chitza

Look at Alps Mountaineering to see if they have a good size for you. I have 2 of them. My 1 person lasted through the never ending rain to Alaska. It's a good quality, mid price range tent.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

Thanks Karla.  I found this tent which would be about the right size for me.  All my experience has been with dome tents.  Anyone with experience with this kind of tent: https://www.campsaver.com/alps-mountaineering-camp-creek-4-tent-4-person-3-season.html?_iv_code=1O-TCC-ALM0115-226604&gclid=CjwKCAjw7MzkBRAGEiwAkOXexLWHLQFCeITRar_hsP5kn-2Y12s-z6LOC88mgL1uraQgdAdupPGzshoCJBYQAvD_BwE

Pic: 

I'm wondering how hard these are to set up.  Being so tall I also wonder how they would hold up to winds.

Chitza

I read the reviews on the site you linked. They are all good regarding ease of set up and weather resistance. Nothing specific about wind. Maybe look it up on other sites and read the reviews to find if someone has experience in wind?
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

So far all the reviews I have read are good.

They also make a 10 x 10 version

Nice Goat

I had a large Ozark Trail tent from Wal-Mart that was well-made and durable.  It was mechanically easy to setup, but it was so large (much larger than 10x10) that it was easier with two people.  I never had a concern about the build quality.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

I bought a couple of Ozark trail tents from Wally World.  The first was a 7 x 7 for $25.  I used it for moto camping for several years.  I still have it but bought a much higher quality Eureka to replace.  There is no question which I would rather have in really crappy weather but the Ozark trail was fine in good weather or some rain.

I got really huge Ozark trail on sale for $49 or something like that.  I used it once and my son used it a few times.  It just seems flimsy and wouldn't trust it in nasty weather. 

The Alps mountaineering tents look pretty good, I just need to decide 4 person or 6 person.  The 4 person should be big enough for me but would be tight if my wife ever decided to join me.  I don't know if that will ever happen.  Of course it's better to have extra room rather than not enough. 

klaviator

I bought a new tent yesterday.  While camping at CMTC and Free State recently I paid attention to what tents others were using and decided a dome tent around 8 x 10 x 6 would be about right.  I got a Colemen Rolling meadows II tent from Academy for $69.99.  It seems like a reasonably well made tent, better than the 2 Ozark trails tents I have owned.  The real test will be to see how well it holds up in a rain storm.  It's 10 x 9 x 6

springer

Quote from: klaviator on April 22, 2019, 12:59:21 PM
I bought a new tent yesterday.  While camping at CMTC and Free State recently I paid attention to what tents others were using and decided a dome tent around 8 x 10 x 6 would be about right.  I got a Colemen Rolling meadows II tent from Academy for $69.99.  It seems like a reasonably well made tent, better than the 2 Ozark trails tents I have owned.  The real test will be to see how well it holds up in a rain storm.  It's 10 x 9 x 6

1. Use a garden hose with a spray attachment to test the tent. One you can adjust from fine to hard. Better to find out in your backyard than in the woods. ;)

If you find a leak here is a good way to fix it;

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/how-to-waterproof-a-tent.html

Wally World (Wal-Mart) carries some of the repellent sprays. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.