News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2015-10-11 Waterloo

Started by kdtrull, October 11, 2015, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

We finally got a little good rain so it was time to head back to Waterloo.
Actually, Waterloo is just the start point.  All the good stuff is north of Waterloo out in the management areas...except for a couple nearby roads:

I kinda' thought, after the rain, the water would be cloudy but looks like it cleared up quick:

Today was the first time I'd entered the area from the south in a long time.....everything looked different...in a good way.

I didn't know the slippery factor for the rocks so I eased up to the first few.  Turns out, they've been dry for so long they still had good grip even with the water.  This may be true for the Waterloo rocks but, trust me, this is not the case for the middle Tennessee rocks.

TVA is lowering the reservoir levels already but the Summer algae is still thriving.  It kinda gurgles and boils as you stand and listen to it.

This is new since last time in the area.  There are not really any natural dangers in the area so I suspect something bad happened here with people being the only cause.

More super-clear water flowing right over the dirty gravel road:

There are many, very old grave yards all around these hills.  This area must have been booming back in the pre-dam days.  Today was the first time I ever stopped at this one:

There's plenty of nice and free camping areas near Panther Creek.  Just know that, if there's already some folks there, you might want to find another spot.  Lots of not so good stories come from over this way.  There is virtually NO law enforcement presence here.

Just a shot of the scooter down by the river.  Miles and miles of roads that follow the river around here.

With the water down so low, you can ride pretty far out into what is normally submerged.  It's the mushiest gravel around....even the creek gravel is more stable.  This stuff is like sand...but bigger...and made of rocks and shells.   ;D  Look Ma...no stand.

All this, normally submerged.  You could ride the shoreline for a long way but who would want to do that???  8)

As is typical, there will be a "short" video to follow soon.  Hope all y'all crackers had fun this weekend!!!   :)

springer

Pretty dog gone cool stuff!!!!!!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kdtrull

Quote from: springer on October 11, 2015, 07:54:43 PM
Pretty dog gone cool stuff!!!!!!

Thanks man.  Wanna' go tomorrow.  I got one more day before it's back to indentured servitude.  :'(

Gam

I've to get over there, Waterloo always comes up around the camp fire.

kdtrull

Quote from: Gam on October 11, 2015, 08:15:06 PM
I've to get over there, Waterloo always comes up around the camp fire.

Well, if you feel like you just can't make it in to work tomorrow....there's still a couple of normally gated roads still open...but they won't be for long.  I'd be glad to give a tour.

Gam

I'm already in lockdown tomorrow.

kdtrull

griff

Looks like a great place for a dual sport camp and ride. You ought to organize a ride when the gates open back up. I'd be interested and I bet others would be as well. Since you know the area, it would make the most of riding time.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

Beck

Looks awesome man!  Wish I could have joined you, and as stated it would be great to have a tour guide!

kdtrull

Quote from: Beck on October 12, 2015, 04:09:58 PM
Looks awesome man!  Wish I could have joined you, and as stated it would be great to have a tour guide!

10-4...and thanks.  I'll try to put something together with a little notice sometime.

lazeebum

I recognize some of them there creek crossings and mud holes. ;D. I hope I can get another dual sport ride in soon.  As usual great video. Thanks for sharing and keeping the interest up.

kdtrull

Quote from: lazeebum on October 12, 2015, 09:06:39 PM
I recognize some of them there creek crossings and mud holes. ;D. I hope I can get another dual sport ride in soon.  As usual great video. Thanks for sharing and keeping the interest up.

Would you get that dang clutch fixed sos I can have a dang backup buddy sometime.  Dog-gone it!!!
You will like the erosion changes...push a little harder.  Just your style.  And you know, I'm your backup buddy until I stroke-out or croak.   Always will be.

Fencejumper09

That looks awesome!

Definitely let me know if you plan a camp and ride or any kind of ride at all out there!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

lazeebum

Going to fix the clutch Friday or Saturday, but this weekend I ain't gonna be able to ride.