News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

KTM Dual Sports

Started by Nice Goat, May 06, 2019, 09:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

We have several members who own KTM dual sport motorcycles, so it's about time we had a thread dedicated to them.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Last month I purchased my second KTM.  The first was the 350 EXC, and while I liked it a lot, it did not have the power character that I wanted.  I'm on the large side, and I like to ride in the lower RPMs, so instead I should have gone with the larger displacement 500 EXC-F.  The combination of larger piston and longer stroke gives it the power character that I want.  So last month, I pulled the trigger and bought a 500 EXC-F.

Nice Goat

I've never been very good at single track or enduro hare scrambles, but this bike is certainly capable of that.  But I intend to use this bike as a dual sport, which means that the seat must be more comfortable and the gas tank must be larger than 2.0 gallons.

First, I changed the stock seat for a complete Seat Concepts seat.  I also have an Alaska Leather dual sport seat cover, for those longer days in the saddle.

Next, I swapped the stock 2.0 gallon tank out for a 4.5 gallon IMS tank with the KTM 90-degree fuel fitting.  I ordered a Profill fuel filter sock from Australia, but it has not arrived yet.

I added 20mm risers and Tusk handguards, using BRP threaded bar inserts for extra durability.  I also added dual sport mirrors and a RAM mount for my GPS, and changed the throttle tube for a G2 Throttle Tamer.

I removed the screen at the end of the muffler to improve the air flow a bit.  Other owners complain of exhaust heat buildup because the exhaust is too closed off.  I also added a Giant Loop heat shield for my soft luggage.

Lastly, I added an Acerbis skid plate and some neoprene Shock Sox.  I also changed the orange frame protectors to black.

Only thing I have left is to put on some proper tires.  I have a Pirelli Scorpion Rally for the front and a Motoz Arena Hybrid for the rear.  I have the Tubliss system to install also, when I change the tires.

Fencejumper09

I have that Pirelli on the front of my 690 and love it!

Let me know when you want to get the KTMs together to let them play!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KevinB

I wasn't too keen on the new KTM body style when they updated in '17, but that '19 model looks really good!

I really love my 450. I know I've switched dual-sports several times, but this is what I was upgrading towards each time.

I added the G2 Throttle Tamer and switched gearing from the original 13/52 to 14/47 to tame the revvy nature of the 450 and drop rpm's on the road (without really sacrificing capability in the woods). I removed the Throttle Tamer the other day and took it for a trail ride... ??? Big difference! I'm going to leave it off for now as I've gotten more used to the power/throttle since I started riding it. Having the Rekluse and riding a gear higher also helps.

I added the GlobeTrottin' rack to mine before the CO trip last year. It only weighs 5 lbs., but really helps mounting luggage without relying on the fender and minimalist subframe on these bikes to support the weight. It also keeps mud from getting between the luggage and fender/side panels and ruining the plastics. 

Full dualsport-touring load (normally I just carry a Wolfman 303 Rolie with tools/tire plugs/inflator)...

KevinB

Quote from: Nice Goat on May 06, 2019, 09:54:56 AM
I have a Pirelli Scorpion Rally for the front and a Motoz Arena Hybrid for the rear. 

I really love the Arena Hybrid. I think I've got @ 2200 miles on mine so far, and I'd say it's at probably 40% tread left and still has a somewhat rounded profile and no torn or chunked knobs at all. I consider that excellent wear for a soft, woods oriented tire that sees a lot of 70+ mph pavement. I've never had any want for traction with it.

I'm currently using a Tractionator I/T on the front, but will probably go with a Pirelli Scorpion Rally or MT21 next. The Motoz front didn't really disappoint and I've got 2500 miles or so on it, but the knob wear went to crap at about the 50% mark and traction is sketchy now.

Nice Goat

Got my tires and Tubliss mounted.  Adjusted the throttle cables to take up some slack.  Ordered a few plastic pieces in white to break up all that orange.

KevinB

Checked my books to verify mileage on the Motoz's.

Front has 2100, rear has 1600. No chunking or tearing of knobs whatsoever. With the Tubliss, I run 7 lbs. in the rear regardless if I'm doing pure dirt or dual-sport, and 11 lbs. in the front.

Joey A

I plated this one several years ago. Currently running a Shinko MX216 Fat Tire on the front and a Kenda Trackmaster II on the rear. We need to get all the orange kool-aid together for a Dual Sports ride

2007 FZ6
2006 Honda 250X - Tagged
2005 KTM 450EXC - Tagged
2021 KTM 890 ADV R

kylepeterson

congrats Glenda, you finally got the holy Grail !
just give 'er the berries !

Gam

I rented this 500 last year in Idaho for the IBDR, put about 1250 miles on it, what surprised me is how luggable this bike is, it's not real particular about the gear you are in.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Gam on May 09, 2019, 06:46:52 AM
...what surprised me is how luggable this bike is, it's not real particular about the gear you are in.

To me, that is the biggest difference b/w the 500 and the 350, and the main reason that the 500 suits my riding style better.

Nice Goat

Swapped out a few orange pieces for white.  Also made some spacers for my Giant Loop tie down brackets and mounted the GL Coyote bag.

kylepeterson

if yall go for a shakedown, holler, ok ? i have a tweety bird stock exhaust now, so you'll not suffer those obnoxious backfires anymore.

(still smells like rotella tho)

just give 'er the berries !

KevinB

Ironically, the same day Glenn posted pics of his new bike I had just ordered some new plastics to spruce up the 450.

KTM mildly updated the plastics styling between the '12/'13 models and the '14 - '16 bikes. I ordered a newer set of shrouds and matching side covers. I also went with the newer fender and headlight mask design (fender required an adaptor). This fender is much stronger than my previous version.

Due to the different headlight/mask, I also had to order a different Baja Designs LED headlight. Ordering a new light and selling the old one was cheaper than ordering just the adaptor separately.