News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

KTM Dual Sports

Started by Nice Goat, May 06, 2019, 09:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Finally accepted reality and bought a tougher shock spring.  I'll be mounting this up soon...

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

No time like the present...

With this spring, I only have to lose 20 pounds, not 50.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

I installed a JD Jetting Power Surge tuner on the 450 this afternoon.

I've been getting the occasional off-idle flame-out stall, and a lot of popping on decel. I sent the ECU to Blais Racing hoping to get an ECU remap, but they informed me that my ECU hadn't been unlocked by the previous/original owner(s) and therefore wasn't able to be remapped. My other options were the JD piggyback tuner for my stock ECU @ $220, or a complete new "tuned" (and capable of being user tuned) ECU from Vortex @ $700.

I went with the $220 option as I don't need a lot of the options the Vortex offers and the reviews of the JD tuner are highly positive.

Installation took @ 45 minutes...I had to remove the seat/tank/airbox cover, route the tuner's in-line connector to the fuel injector's plug, then attach the tuner's ground to the existing bike ground on the frame. I also had to reset my Throttle Position Sensor back to stock setting (I adjusted the TPS in order to help alleviate the flame-out issue...it helped some). The JD tuner merely adds/subtracts fuel from several points in the bike's rpm range (it doesn't change ignition timing like the Vortex unit), and it came pre-programmed with recommended settings and complete instructions how to adjust fueling in the different ranges. I mounted the unit to the front side of the battery using the existing rubber hold-down strap.

I ran the bike around the yard/neighborhood with the recommended settings, and while it was better than previous, it still had some decel pop and I was able to get it to flame out a couple of times (it only happens if the throttle input, engine load and rpm's are "just right" off-idle). I went back to the driveway, pulled the seat, and added fuel via the tuner's buttons to the idle circuit and low speed circuit.

This time, the decel popping seemed to be gone and I wasn't able to get it to flame-out under the same conditions I was able to a few minutes earlier. Hoping to get an actual ride in tomorrow to see if it's cured for sure.

(forgot to take photos during the install  :( )

KevinB

Changed out my old clapped-out Cycra Pro Bends to some new Cycra billet handguards and shields, swapped the Double Take ADV mirrors for their Scrambler mirrors, and installed a Baja Worx windscreen.

Waiting on some hardware to come in so I can remount my rear rack. With the A.Twin gone, the KTM will have to serve as my ADV-lite bike.

Frank Smith

I bought the last KTM from bill at midway in Huntsville before he let the brand go for good. I'm loving it, except for the flameouts. I want the JD Jetting tuner but everyone is out of stock. Covid-19 production delays. Availability looks like mid Oct. the bike is bone stock and it's very impressive right outta the box.

Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Frank Smith

Off mountain Fork near New Market.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Frank Smith

TKC 80 tires are not as bad as I thought they would be. They work for my style riding.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Frank Smith

Quote from: KevinB on August 07, 2020, 07:51:17 PM
Changed out my old clapped-out Cycra Pro Bends to some new Cycra billet handguards and shields, swapped the Double Take ADV mirrors for their Scrambler mirrors, and installed a Baja Worx windscreen.

Waiting on some hardware to come in so I can remount my rear rack. With the A.Twin gone, the KTM will have to serve as my ADV-lite bike.

Holy cow, where did you get that headlight setup? I want one for my 350! Please share the source. Is it plug n play?
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

KevinB

Quote from: Frank Smith on August 31, 2020, 05:45:58 PM
Holy cow, where did you get that headlight setup? I want one for my 350! Please share the source. Is it plug n play?
It's a Baja Designs Squadron Sport...this is the 3k lumen version. They also make a Squadron Pro and I believe one called the XL...those two are near 6k and 8k lumens if I remember correctly.

I bought mine off Ebay for @$140...price from BD is @$200.

The light comes with a OEM KTM connector...plugs right in. If you have a factory high/low beam switch (my XCW didn't) you can also get a Skene dimmer that plugs in also.

Frank Smith

Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

KevinB

I read somewhere (can't remember where, so you'll probably want to research) that the '14 - '16 bikes and the '17+ bikes use the same headlight shell, just different shrouds. If that's the case, something line this would work...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163844926407

Gam

Thought I would give an update on my 2019 790 Adventure.  It had a recall to fix the fitting going into the rear caliper, it was too short to allow for sufficient heat dissipation,  it had the "warped rotor problem",  the problem is not warping but uneven wear, it bucks like a bronco when coming to a stop at  a red light. I replaced the rotors with aftermarket galfer wave rotors, didn't fool with warranty.  By the time I finished the MABR it was bucking like a bronco again. Bike at the shop having the whole front wheel and rotors replaced under warranty.  Some people haven't been so lucky, they get the rotors replaced under warranty and when they go bad again, KTM won't do anything, other people get no results, they are told rotors are a wearable item.  It has the 3 tries to start problem. When the bike is cold it usually takes three tries to start, starts the third time every time. The map is too lean at startup. Not everybody has these problems, a lot of people have no problems, but I will probably get a T700 when they actually get on dealer floors.

terryrussell1

Quote from: Gam on September 20, 2020, 12:17:31 PM
Thought I would give an update on my 2019 790 Adventure.  It had a recall to fix the fitting going into the rear caliper, it was too short to allow for sufficient heat dissipation,  it had the "warped rotor problem",  the problem is not warping but uneven wear, it bucks like a bronco when coming to a stop at  a red light. I replaced the rotors with aftermarket galfer wave rotors, didn't fool with warranty.  By the time I finished the MABR it was bucking like a bronco again. Bike at the shop having the whole front wheel and rotors replaced under warranty.  Some people haven't been so lucky, they get the rotors replaced under warranty and when they go bad again, KTM won't do anything, other people get no results, they are told rotors are a wearable item.  It has the 3 tries to start problem. When the bike is cold it usually takes three tries to start, starts the third time every time. The map is too lean at startup. Not everybody has these problems, a lot of people have no problems, but I will probably get a T700 when they actually get on dealer floors.
Shame about the 790. Looks like it could be a great platform. Maybe ktm will get the bugs worked out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Johnny Tobyone

So I was thinking of upgrading my 97 DR350    I see a local '16 KTM 450 EXC that is set up for dual sport  even lowered which I would like with the back issues and short legs!   I dont do any thing hard these days (no single track) ..  is it way over kill for dual sport ? 
I haul my Dr to most rides     Thx   
R1200R
CRF450L

Mulley

Quote from: Johnny Tobyone on October 19, 2020, 10:00:27 AM
So I was thinking of upgrading my 97 DR350    I see a local '16 KTM 450 EXC that is set up for dual sport  even lowered which I would like with the back issues and short legs!   I dont do any thing hard these days (no single track) ..  is it way over kill for dual sport ? 
I haul my Dr to most rides     Thx
Probably a little overkill. Describe the type of riding you like a little more and well help you.

You may be better suited to a dual sport than a dirtbike with a tag. That 450 is a race ready bike that someone just added lights and tag. It's not going to be very comfortable on the street and will require more maintenance. However when you get off pavement  you'll be rewarded with a fantastic offroad capabilities.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC