News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Scoot'n around in Tennessee 5-6-19

Started by klaviator, May 08, 2019, 07:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Last Saturday....well it was actually Monday but every day except Sunday is Saturday when you're retired: ;D I went for a ride. When I left I had a vague plan but ended up not following it. I headed East on 72 and turned left on 65 which I rode through Paint Rock Valley and up into Tennessee. 65 is a curvy and scenic road and it was a beautiful and cool day.

I stopped to take some pics.

klaviator

I rode a short distance and found another picture spot.

I turned off on some back roads and went exploring. I was planning on heading West but ended up going east through Cowan where I stopped to take some more pics. I have been through here a few times but never stopped to check this stuff out.

klaviator

After Cowan I continued on 41a towards Sewanee. The road has some great curves as it winds its way up the mountain.
Since I am now on a fixed income I decided to save a few bucks by bringing along a lunch. I found a nice spot to stop and eat it.

After lunch I continued to Sewanee where I decided to take a detour to check out the University of the South. I have been through here many times but never taken the time to check it out. I just rode through. It's a beautiful campus with a lot of old historic buildings. Maybe someday I'll stop and walk around. For now I just got this one pic.

I continued on to Monteagle. Monteagle has been a lunch stop on many rides I have been on. Normally we would turn around after lunch and head back to Alabama. On the spur of the moment I decided to ride 41 towards Jasper with the idea that maybe I would stop and check out the Trials Training Center in Sequachie. Also, my map showed 41 as being a scenic road.

Going through Tracy City I saw a small lot filled with rusted out machinery.

There where also some signs for South Cumberland State park. This park has several different parts. I decided to go checkout one of them. This was South Cumberland State park at Grundy Lakes.

There was a winding, one lane, one way road around the lakes.

Pretty cool, I'm glad I took the time to check it out.

klaviator

41 became a real nice road especially as it wound its way down the mountain towards Jasper. I took a left to Sequachie but didn't see any signs for the Trials Training center. I ended up taking a bunch of back roads until I got near I-24 where I stopped to get this pic.

Ya think there's enough trucks on I-24??

From there I headed over to 156 to have some fun in the curves.

I rode up Sand Mountain then through Scottsboro and headed home. I rode just under 300 miles and averaged just over 60 MPG.

Guidedawg

What a great ride!  Sewanee was one of the schools that sent me unsolicited info when I was looking at colleges (I test well, even though I have no common sense).
I never went to visit but had heard how beautiful it was.