News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Grass clippings... problem or not?

Started by Nice Goat, June 01, 2019, 06:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

I don't understand this issue.  I see it posted all over FB several times a month, but we've never discussed it here.

Personally, I believe that...

1) "Grass is just like ice..." = hyperbole, which hurts the author's argument.

2) Training and practice will allow you to ride on any surface.

3) Proper gear will prevent road rash.

4) Take some responsibility for your own skills and safety, or don't ride at all.

Your thoughts?

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

TFancher

I don't think I've ever had a problem with "green ice" before. I see this type stuff come up on Facebook and I have to wonder what the whole story is (ie.speed,riding experience,other road conditions,etc?) An $89 Bilt jacket would have eliminated months of pain and suffering. But to each their own.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

jrobinson

I agree and #4 is the most important point in your list.

Posts like this on FB never tell the full story. Sometimes the picture isn't even related to the "problem". Did this guy really hit grass and wreck, or is the pic just used in attempt to stir the FB pot.

I mow grass the touches 700 feet of Hwy 65. I always make the first 2 passes blowing the grass away from the road, but there is usually a little grass will get on the road. I'm waiting on the day when one of the "angry rider" stop to say something. Then I can demonstrate how a 60 yo can ride a Harley through the clippings at speed. lol

The phenomenon I call the Angry Rider, they ride to look for something to get upset about. You never hear, "That was a great ride". You only hear all the problems they had interfere with their ride.

odell2115

When I see that posted I immediately judge the person who posted it.  Either they don't ride at all or they should really get some training. 

Of all the things to worry about while riding, this is like picking the fly shit out of the pepper.

KevinB

Funny thing is, I've also seen posts decrying the "Green Death" on the ADV forum. The same guys that traverse dirt, mud and gravel are apparently stymied by grass clippings on asphalt.

The cases I've seen pic'ed on FB and ADV are more likely a product of rider panic and inappropriate reaction than actual reduced traction caused by the debris. 

catang5oh

Probably the topic following the lay er down conversation at the local Hog chapter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama_Rider

I find them annoying but not that dangerous.  On the other hand, if you have your bike layed over hard in a blind turn and hit a thick layer of grass that you can't see, you will crash.  The same applies to gravel, sand, leaves.   I don't go charging into blind corners but many people do.

Chuck A.

Are we talking light spray of clipping or a green roadway where asphalt is unseen due to grass. Off road tires or street tires? A 900 lbs. bike with touring tires on the straight road all you get is a green radiator cover added. In a curve a green highway is like sand. The thicker the slicker.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

JBMFT

Honestly, I treat anything in the roadway no matter what or how much like it is the thing that is going to kill me. That's gravel, sand, tire rubber, other vehicles, water, pedestrians, soda bottles, oil, grass clippings, etc. I try to avoid anything that isn't road.

Gam

Black Walnuts, I hate those things.(in the road).

kylepeterson

generally it tells me that Facebook user x does not ride motorcycles, and they repost everything relating to their friends hobbies they can.

unless it's enough to fill a round bale, i don't see it being a problem. rider skill and speed send to be the most common issue.
just give 'er the berries !

TWJohn

Blowing the grass in the road is just laziness. I have not noticed a loss of traction if riding normal on dual sports or my Sportster.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

bblass

Never have understood this one either? Maybe - MAYBE - thick, wet Bermuda grass could cause an issue, in a turn, under perfect conditions. But outside of that, the coefficient of friction and the math just doesn't work out? I'm jumping on the rider error bandwagon. You wrecked because you panicked and locked up the brakes, not because you hit grass...
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kylepeterson

Quote from: jrobinson on June 01, 2019, 07:30:42 AM
I agree and #4 is the most important point in your list.

Posts like this on FB never tell the full story. Sometimes the picture isn't even related to the "problem". Did this guy really hit grass and wreck, or is the pic just used in attempt to stir the FB pot.

I mow grass the touches 700 feet of Hwy 65. I always make the first 2 passes blowing the grass away from the road, but there is usually a little grass will get on the road. I'm waiting on the day when one of the "angry rider" stop to say something. Then I can demonstrate how a 60 yo can ride a Harley through the clippings at speed. lol

The phenomenon I call the Angry Rider, they ride to look for something to get upset about. You never hear, "That was a great ride". You only hear all the problems they had interfere with their ride.

this^^^^

angry rider will spoil a good ride every time. I'll call them out now, and tell them to stop complaining. better to address the jerk and let em know this is GOING TO BE FUN with or without their whining. ;-)
just give 'er the berries !

springer

Well...okay... so here is my thoughts about this.

Some of y'all didn't study much in school.  :D Must have been like me...always setting in the back of the class passing notes n stuff.  :D :D

Grass is that green stuff that is out in your yard scattered in with the weeds n stuff. Folks cut it, sometimes blowing it out in the road. Yes, it can be slick when its wet, if it is in a sharp curve you need to slow down a bit before you go through it. Just like any buttock clinching moment on a motorcycle, panicking is a bad thing. Relax, slow down, do not slam on the brakes, try not to lean the motorcycle over to far, and most of the time, you are okay.  ;)

Now about that school comment that just might have you scratching you head. I had this teacher in grammar school  who would always say, "Pay Attention" to what I say.

Of course, we didn't...or I didn't. ;)

She handed out this test one time but before she handed out the test, she said to "read the entire test BEFORE you answer ANY questions ON the test.

Of course I didn't. She handed it out before recess and I wanted to play, so I started right in on it.

Imagine my surprise when I got to the last question.

It said Do not take this test. Wait 15 minutes, hand it in to me, and go out side and play.   :D :D :D

That applies here. I just said a prayer of thanks to that teacher.

Grass clippings can be a pain.

GLASS clippings will cut your tires in a New York minute. 

Somebody typed the wrong word or was just seeing who can read.  :D :D :D

Lets see how long it takes.  :D :D :D :D

Hopefully they do not change the title....I got a good laugh from this.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.