It's Finally Happening October 11 - 13, 2019

Started by Fencejumper09, September 30, 2019, 10:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

I am finally heading northeast to slay the formidable dragon!  I know I know there are much better roads nearby with less traffic but I just want to ride it so leave me alone!

I am planning to leave at about 6:00 AM on 10/11 taking interstate to Chattanooga/Tellico then to hop on the Cherohala (also will be a first) and work my way up and down the dragon then on to meet my dad in Little Switzerland.  I know that is a hell of a day on two wheels but I am going to make it happen.

If anyone wants to join for a portion of the ride or meet along the way just let me know. I think it will be a spirited pace but nothing crazy as I would hate to start a weekend of riding off with blue lights!

This trip started with planning to meet my dad and his friend Ed in western North Carolina and they chose Little Switzerland. So that is my end goal for the evening. If somehow time permits a stop in Asheville I will stop for a beer or two at one of the fine establishments in the area.

Feel free to post up any route suggestions or roads you would recommend for the Saturday ride around Little Switzerland.

Here is a grab of the current route up there!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

mojo1

GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

mojo1

Depending on how long of a ride you want for Saturday you could take 226 north to hwy 80 then head back south following 80 down to the blue ridge parkway back to Little Switzerland for a shorter route. Definitely take a run up and down Alt 226 out of Little Switzerland.
If you want a longer route you could take 226 north to 261/143 to Roan Mtn. then west on 19E to 173 south left on 107/226 to south on 80 down to hwy 70 then over and back north on 226 to Little Switzerland.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Sweeper

226a is a must unless it's wet! Little Switzerland is a great place to end a long days ride. A friend and I do it every spring and fall. In fact I was there last night. We rode from there to Banner Elk today but covered 250 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mulley

That's a great day of riding. Little Switzerland is beautiful too. It may actually be cold up there. Pack something warm.

As mentioned above be sure to ride hwy 80 and 226 near Little Switzerland if you can. I hope you have good wide lights if you arrive after dark. I've gone up it in the dark before with stock lights, that didn't bend around the turns. It's tight and you just about kiss your own butt in a few places. I took my wife up there once and made my daughter sick on Hwy 80 in my Jeep, she threw up in her car seat as soon as we reached the bottom of the mountain. I had blast though.

It may add a little bit of time but leaving Cleveland and following the Ocoee River to Ducktown and then up to Tellico Plains is a little more fun but you'll be hitting mid Saturday morning leaf peeper traffic so it may be a little slow (and less fun).

Sunday, try to fit in Hwy 28 and possibly Hwy 27 following the Nantahala River. A really fun super tight road is Wayah Rd. in Nantahala but that may throw off your schedule. but defiantly fit in Hwy 28. I love that road. You can ride Blue Ridge Parkway back towards Asheville, hit I-40 for a little bit (it's actually curvy)

Here is an option that's fun but not a ridiculously long day.

https://goo.gl/maps/E6c7XwroJz4cs5eQ6

Little League football on Saturdays is really putting a damper on my riding time but I don't want to miss the family time. Enjoy the trip and pop a wheelie for me. Maybe next time I can join in.

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Fencejumper09

@mojo1  I think our plan is to hit 226A south out of LS then hit 80 north and take the long way around to Mt. Mitchell. My dad and his buddy really want to hit Mt. Mitchell. Maybe we can head to Roan Sunday morning pending how we are feeling. Thank you.

@Sweeper we are pumped for Little Switzerland  do you have any recommendations on where to stay or eat?

@Mulley I am going to reroute my Friday ride up to include running along the Ocoee then up Tellico. I plan to run up the dragon then come back down and hit 28 and continue on toward Asheville. Will the below route hit the best stuff in that area?

Thank you all for the input so far!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

klaviator

Last time I stayed in Little Switzerland I stayed at the Big Lynn Lodge.  The rooms are pricey but include a full dinner and breakfast for two.  This place is right on 226a and has an amazing view.

Link:  http://www.biglynnlodge.com/index.html

Sweeper

Little Switzerland Inn has a motorcycle lodge called The Diamondback Lodge. It's about $80 a night but single occupancy only. Nice common space and porch to sit after a meal on the restaurant patio watching the sun set. The best part is flogging 226a right to their door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fencejumper09

Thanks fellas. My dad's buddy just bailed to go watch a drag race or something!

So we booked two rooms at the Diamondback Motorcycle Lodge! they had one more available as of 5 minutes ago!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Brian A

My request for vacation day - Friday Oct 11 - has been approved.

Meaning I'll be planning to hit the road with you guys early Friday morning, headed to The Skyway, Deals Gap and on to Little Switzerland.

Saturday will be a partial day for me. I'll go my own way at some point as I had prior plans with some friends in R'ville area Saturday afternoon/evening.

Fencejumper09

Looks like a party now!!

Can't wait to get rolling!

Got some lights installed in case we end up in the dark!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

Brian A

I am looking forward to this. Should be a good weekend.

I was in the area last month on the Versys, riding with a good friend, and we had a very good time.

Was there last weekend in the Mustang. First time ever in the area that I had the man with the flashing blue lights pull me over to say hello. Fortunately he was a very cool guy and I got of with big WARNING. Fifteen years and who knows how many trips, so I can't complain.
As it turned out, there was some type of training day event for Blount County and Knox County (not their jurisdiction) and there was about 15 LEO on motorcycles and a few in SUV all over Deals Gap.
But, we managed to play in the 4-wheel vehicles after they left and and had a great time. Nothing crazy. Just having fun.

Anyway, next weekend should be fun. Just being on the road with a couple of good guys will make it so.

Expect it to be a cold ride if we wind up being out after dark.

@Mulley will remember a early spring trip where we crested a mountain where all the trees were covered, completely covered in ice. I was not prepared.

I froze my ass off for a little while.  :o

Fencejumper09

I am officially in possession of a little @springer

I look forward to our deep conversations on the long ride tomorrow!

It isn't too late if you want to roll with us! Leaving the Jack's on 231 in Ashville at 6:45 - 7:00
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT