Big loss to local MC community - Roger Bates passed away this morning

Started by Brian A, November 04, 2019, 07:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

I do not know details. Only that Roger Bates of Moto Ace fame passed away this morning.

I have known Roger for more than 30 years. He has always been an extremely kind, considerate and passionate individual when it comes to working on motorcycles. 

My first experience with him was circa. 1987 when he and a guy he was working with installed and tuned a DynaJet Stage IV jet kit in my 1985 Nighthawk S. Many other visits with him over the years for service work I didn't want to mess with myself. Always a smile and a few minutes to laugh and often talk about crazy stuff from the crazy days of youth.

I know he has been really active racing offroad stuff in recent years. We talked about it several times when I'd be at his shop. Always seemed to keep things in perspective. He was out there to ride his own race, have fun and not crash hard. He had to be at work the next week!

I imagine Kenny is probably devastated. I have no idea if the shop will be open. I might ride over tomorrow on the off chance that Kenny might be there. Just to say Hello and let him know what he already knows......

Roger was a solid dude. A genuinely solid dude. Having known him for so long and dealt with him (and Kenny) on numerous occasions, I can say for a fact, I will miss him.

It's a sad thing...............

Brian A

From what I know, Roger died as a result of health related causes. It was not an accident or anything along those lines.

Mulley

This is terrible. Roger was a great guy and I'm going to miss him. This is a big hit to the motorcycle community. He's been wrapped up in the motorcycle scene around Birmingham for a very long time, well pretty much his entire life was spent wrenching and riding but definitely more wrenching. He was an honest, hard working man that treated everyone with respect. He was also the first guy racing his Alta electric bike in the local SECCA hare scrambles. Which is pretty awesome.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

scott59

Very sad to read this. Was just in Moto Ace Friday. Knew Roger was in the hospital. As stated above, Roger was a very nice honest guy. He will be missed.

Moto Guzzi

Sorry to hear that news.  I've only done occasional business with MotoAce but they have always been honest and reasonable.  Good guys.  Roger will be missed for sure.

LawnmowerRG

Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

KevinB

Quote from: Moto Guzzi on November 05, 2019, 11:24:50 AM
I've only done occasional business with MotoAce but they have always been honest and reasonable.  Good guys.

Same here...but every interaction was extremely positive.

Hate to hear of Roger's passing.  :(

Mulley

GRAVESIDE SERVICE FOR ROGER BATES
OCTOBER 14, 1965 ~ NOVEMBER 5, 2019 (AGE 54)

Saturday, November 9, 2019
10:00 AM to TBD
Jefferson Memorial Gardens, East
1591 Gadsden Hwy
Birmingham, AL 35235
(this is Hwy 11 in Trussville)

The Obituary hasn't been posted yet.
Here's the place holder for it.

https://www.jmgardens.com/notices/Roger-Bates
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC