News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

I am "too fast".

Started by DachshundUberAlles, October 14, 2015, 11:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DachshundUberAlles

Quote from: springer on October 14, 2015, 02:38:47 PMPM's are a wonderful thing...........................

Feel free to expand on this.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Shepcam

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on October 15, 2015, 08:05:00 AM
Quote from: springer on October 14, 2015, 02:38:47 PMPM's are a wonderful thing...........................

He means that there are private rides, not posted to the forum. Not everybody wants to ride with me 8)
2013 Kawasaki Concours

klaviator

There are two thing I often wonder:

One:  Am I too fast?

Two:  Am I too good looking?

Seriously.  I was a pretty hard core sport rider from the mid 80s till around 2000.  Going fast on curvy roads was what riding was all about for me.  Then I got sidetracked by other things.  I got into dual sport and dirt riding.  More recently I got into scooters.  And of course I kept getting older.  At this point in my life I realize the dangers of riding fast and I no longer have as much desire to go fast.   

However, that desire, although diminished, is not gone.  I still enjoy running through the curves at a "fun" pace.  One thing I have found is that for me, I'd rather ride fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike.  I have run my 150cc scooter through Deal's gap and had fun.  My 250cc scooter was even more fun because it has better cornering clearance.  Would I have had more fun on an open class sportbike?  Maybe on the track but not on most public roads.  I just don't need a super fast bike to go as fast as I am capable of riding on public roads.  On top of that, I'm just not comfortable on a crouched over sportbike.

How about those guys who ride hard core sportbikes on the street?  If they are having fun then more power to them.  I was once young and I have not forgotten what it was like.  Then again, there are some pretty old guys who still ride sportbikes.  I have a friend who is 75 who rides a GSXR750 on the track.

Anyway, good topic for discussion.  I think that anyone who like to ride fast wrestles with this question. 

Too answer the question "am I too fast?   Unless I crash or get a ticket the answer is NO.

Chitza

I think one thing to consider is how we may affect other motorists on the road. We as motorcyclists tend to think our behavior only puts us at risk because we are at a disadvantage in a crash with a cager. But in actuality we are putting others in danger when we use the streets as a race track. Other riders as well as cars on the road who may over react to our speed or over zealous lean angle. Residents along a good stretch of road loath to see us coming. Why do you think there is increased LEO presence along some of our favorite routes?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy trying to be faster and smoother. But I do think about how I would feel if I was living on one of those roads.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

DachshundUberAlles

Quote from: Shepcam on October 15, 2015, 08:31:53 AM

He means that there are private rides, not posted to the forum. Not everybody wants to ride with me 8)

Feel free to expand on that.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Shepcam

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on October 15, 2015, 01:45:56 PM

Because I am one of those stereotypical sport bike riders who will make fun of your chicken strips and pristine pegs, along with being just too damn fast! ::)
2013 Kawasaki Concours

KevinB

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on October 15, 2015, 01:45:56 PM

A group of like-minded individuals that have ridden together before send PM's/texts among themselves as to when/where to meet, and then ride at their chosen pace.  Happens amongst the dirt riders here too. 

Zeus

A great topic indeed. "Too fast" for me is rather relative depending on what my comparison is to;
Ben Spies, no I'm not too fast.
My rides I host on occasion, I find myself having to slow down or have to wait on my buddies that have no "chicken-strips", although I do? Hmm.
Yes I have a bike that'll bust 100mph in first gear but I never wind it out. My appreciation for it is that it handles great and I've yet to drag the pegs.
When I ride, I am quite respectful while riding through populated areas like school zones, residential districts, etc...
I stumbled upon a road by accidentally turning at wrong left turn which turned out to be a new opportunity by far. A road that has all of the features that I love. Very technical.
I look at new roads and fun roads like I would a favorite fishing hole so to say. If you tell everyone it will get used up and kit won't be worth anything. Like if I was to post about a favorite fun road, people would flock to it and LEO's would soon be present.
Yeah I'm selfish but it's out of respect for the people that live there.
Yes I ride somewhat fast and I'm in my "comfort zone" while at riding at that level whereas if I'm running the speed limit I become dangerous by sight seeing, fumbling with GPS, iPod, satellite radio, etc.
So for me to others, ride your own ride within your comfort zone and please be respectful in congested areas 😎

DachshundUberAlles

It's been interesting to read things so far. Though it's obvious that there have been some nerves touched at the thought of the discussion, overall it seems to be motoring along fairly well.

Shepcam

Nerves, I dont have no stinkin nerves. You made a "statement" and I just called you out on it, does not mean it touched a nerve. I had hoped to stir some shit because I was bored, oh well nobody wanted to play with me.  :-\
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Chitza

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

klaviator

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on October 14, 2015, 01:02:02 PM
I can remember a few years back where there would be rides posted up in the Planned Rides section that specifically stated This will be a "spirited pace" ride and that only people in full leathers gear were invited. I notice that sort of event hasn't been posted in quite some time, seemingly gone extinct when the cohort that participated found track days.
Then there is also an "attitude" that permeates sportbike ownership, a kind of "measuring" of where you are in relation to others. I know I used to check the peg lean posts on bikes, as well as the "chicken strips", as if grinding the indicators down or getting that last millimeter of tread width scrubbed was some kind of prize winning "accomplishment" for a public road dwelling bike and rider. Heck, I was arrogant, (and stupid) enough to imagine an Ulster or Isle of Mann vibe to a ride and that being faster on public roads was actually something to brag about.

Back when those "spirited" pace rides were more common on this forum I didn't have a suitable bike to participate.  Now I do.  Bad timing on my part.........or is that good timing.

As for looking back at my younger days when I probably rode too fast.  I could look back and say how stupid I was, but I look back and miss those old days because they were so much fun   

Of course if I had crashed and seriously hurt myself I might have a different view of those days.

kdtrull

Quote from: klaviator on October 15, 2015, 08:37:53 PM
Of course if I had crashed and seriously hurt myself I might have a different view of those days.

The needle of those kinds of memories plow in and out of my mind like a third-world, slave-labor, sewing machine, sometimes.
Thank the seeders (this is a joke, btw) their feet slip off the pedal every once in a while.   :D

springer

Okay. When I ride at a spirited pace I like to ride with others who can ride at that pace or faster.  By can ride at that pace, I mean more than twisting the throttle and hanging on. There is a certain skill set involved plus a certain attitude.
The skill set needs not to be a Ben Spies set, but one a little higher than normal. One that can cope with the pace and road conditions.
By attitude I do not mean an arrogant "I am better than most", but  one that is more of "I am responsible for myself and my safety".

I have found that riders with the "I am responsible for myself and my safety" show up with the correct gear for that type of riding and will slow their own pace down if the groups pace is to quick.

The ones with the "Better than most" often times will not have the right gear or more often, are unwilling to slow their pace down.

It is those riders /\ who seem to crash more often. I hate crashing, for myself and others.

I am by no means the fastest rider around or the fastest guy on this board.

I DO think I show up with a good attitude.

I am willing to lead, if my own pace is quick enough for that ride.
I have no problems riding in the middle of the pack if not.
If I am the slowest (most often that is the case  ;) ) I have no problem riding in the very back.

When the pace is just to quick I have no problem parking my bike, watching, asking questions, and hopefully learning something.

On those times when I am on a ride with other folks,I think the pace is to quick for most of the riders skill set, and I think a crash is likely to happen, I will speak up, and if needed, leave to ride my own ride. Like I said above, I hate crashing, for myself and others.

That /\ is why I think PM's are good.

On rides that I do post, the pace is always slower and I am willing to slow it down even more if needed. I have no problem just cruising along and smelling the flowers.  :) I enjoy every aspect of riding. Fast, slow, and in between. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Buzz

Brian summed it up for me.

It got to the point that I would have be at break neck speed to get my "rush".

Got rid of the 100+ hp bikes. Started off road.

Every now and again, I can throw the 17's on the poor slow dr650. I can putt putt gingerly around a few turns from time to time.

The only thing I miss about the big inline four bikes is the passing ability. I'll just have to settle for riding a little scooter ( cross country to see the best the USA can offer).

I am not knocking sport bikes at all. I just had to kick the habit.

An old deer hunter told me once:

I started off as a deer slayer. Killed every one I seen.

I then became a trophy hunter. Let the small ones go.

Then I just enjoyed hanging out with nature. If my freezer is full, I won't shoot.