Corona Virus and the 2020 riding season.

Started by klaviator, March 17, 2020, 05:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

There is no doubt that the Corona virus will impact riding the next few months or maybe longer.  Some things I have read recently:

MSR cancelled.
MMM cancelled.
Some Moto business are modifying their operations.  I just read notices from Cycle Gear, RevZilla and Max motorsports about changes.  I'm sure there will be others. 

Some states are pretty much shutting down making it difficult to travel there.

On the bright side, there will be much less traffic on the road. 

The Ride for Pie and The Free State event are coming up.  Will they still happen?  Will Chef Troy's be willing to take a big group? 

How about local rides?  How many would be willing to go out with the typical group of 5-10 riders and have lunch somewhere?  Will restaurants be open?

I personally don't want to cancel all my riding plans for the next few months and would be willing to go on a group ride or event.

How about you?  I'm interested in your thoughts, just keep politics out of it.

JBMFT

I am not going back to work until at least the 31st and have a new toy to play with so I expect that I will be doing a lot of riding in the next couple weeks. I would still do a small group ride (5 or less) and would stop somewhere and get takeout to enjoy under a nice shade tree.
Looking for the lemonade in all this, looking forward to what others have to say.

Nice Goat

I'm still planning to do my Tellico and Dirt Devil rides, unless the gubment confines us to our homes or restricts interstate travel.  We may not be able to eat in restaurants, but that would be okay with me.

After these two rides, I'll probably try to keep my group rides in north Alabama for a while.  It's getting too hard to get the whole weekend off for out-of-state trips, because of family commitments.  And we need more planned local rides anyway.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

I enjoy riding solo or small group so if they were to cancel work for a bit, I'd be only too happy to hit the road for some riding or overnight trip.
But since I work in the IT field, can telecommute, only live 10 minutes from the office, and have to be on-hand to support everyone else who may be working at home, I suspect things will remain business as usual.

Sweeper

As soon as I can get my wife over her back surgery and the rain stops, I'm ready to ride. No hand shakes or hugs for a bit should take care of the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinwater

I call for Picnic rides!  Pack lunch for yourself and small ride group to nice scenery and drag out what you brought to eat.  That way the worry of restaurants being open or not are void.  I can think of one spot right now.  Putting new tires back on tonight, "Good Lord willing and the Creeks don't rise". 

Gam

Well I've be socially distant all my life ;) I am going camping this weekend to a place where no one will be, except the guy with me and I never get within 6 feet of him. I can get there and get back home without even having to stop to buy gas.  But I'm thinking this may be the last time for a while, if this stuff reaches critical mass and explodes like in other countries I don't think I will be thinking much about motorcycles.

TWJohn

I am not changing a thing. My opinion is this is still severely over hyped.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

Sadlsor

It's a tough call, all around.
Yeah, it's being sensationalized - that's what the media do - but at the same time, there is a time for prudence - and that's MOST of the time.
Just don't be stupid. Cuz stupid hurts.
That said, riding around in the open air puts me no more at risk of catching the flu, than standing on my head in my living room. I'm healthy enough, I've never had a flu shot, and I NEVER have had the flu. I've had a cold that might have been borderline, but simply put, I don't get sick.
I'm not a homebody, either. I gotta get out and about.
Trying to take my own advice ("don't be stupid"), but sometimes I'm more successful at that, than at other times.
But in the end, I refuse / REFUSE / to live my life in fear.
Come on. I mean, I ride a motorcycle. On the streets even!
(Kind of a joke, there.)
Face your fears. Live your dreams.
This is temporary.
Y'all be well.
You must be the change you wish to see in this world.

klaviator

I have rethought this whole thing.  Our hospital system will soon be overwhelmed.  This would really be a bad time to crash and be injured.  I don't expect to do a lot of riding in the near future although I won't stop completely. 

thinwater

Quote from: klaviator on March 20, 2020, 08:02:09 AM
I have rethought this whole thing.  Our hospital system will soon be overwhelmed.  This would really be a bad time to crash and be injured.  I don't expect to do a lot of riding in the near future although I won't stop completely.

Just throttle back a little Klav!  ???

Hammerdown77

Quote from: klaviator on March 20, 2020, 08:02:09 AM

This is a good point, hadn't thought specifically of that, even though I'm taking this whole thing very seriously. Have several friends in medical field and hospitals and they are really worried, they see what's coming. We have this false sense of security that there are ample medical facilities in this country. There aren't. There definitely aren't in most of Alabama. The next couple of weeks will be a bad time to need a hospital...
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Nice Goat

Just ride responsibly.  Traffic is significantly lighter now.  It's been a few years since I felt this safe riding on the roads.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Gam

I didn't go camping this weekend because the weather outlook wasn't so good. I took a long backcountry road ride yesterday, no cars, so I could go as slow as I wanted  ;D, just meander along looking around.

Hammerdown77

Definitely liking the lack of cars on the road!
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom