Corona Virus and the 2020 riding season.

Started by klaviator, March 17, 2020, 05:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

After watching way too much news and reading articles about this pandemic I am pretty much writing off the Spring riding season.  Some of my favorite riding areas have been closed off.  Restaurants, motels and campgrounds have been shut down across most of the country.  While I have never been hospitalized due to a riding accident I would hate to have that happen at this time.  I am limiting my riding to short local rides. 

I don't have a crystal ball and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for a long time but my guess is it will be around June before things start to somewhat return to normal.

jrobinson

The restaurants that have stayed open, have gone to drive-thru only/curb service/pickup only.

All elective surgeries and procedures have been canceled.

Healthy patients are sent home to quarantine. The hardest hit and most deaths, there is an underlining health issue. Lung issues will put you at a higher risk.

There is still a lot of traffic in Jackson County.

I think local rides in Alabama and using a little common sense you should be fine if you are healthy. Stay 6 ft from folks and enjoy your rides.

Gam

I would have to make a run for it to get to a "free zone".  This is what I am under (Rome, Ga), I guess I could say I was riding around looking for toilet paper. I am doing the MABDR the first of July, I have a reservation one night at the lodge where they filmed Dirty Dancing, I would hate to think I learned "Time of My Life" on the uke for nothing.

All non essential business are required to cease all activities are required to cease.

All travel on foot, bicycle, scooters, motorcycle, automobile or public transit is prohibited.

Definitions and exemptions:

Essential activities: performing task essential to their health and safety (obtaining medical supplies, food, pet supplies, household consumer products, products necessary to maintain safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences.

DachshundUberAlles

I've been riding a whole bunch. Racking up miles on GROM and the Super Tenere. There's only so much yard work and house work before you need another distraction and there isn't enough interesting TV. Today I spent most of my ride slow rolling, taking in the emerging Spring greenery. It's quite nice out with the greatly reduced traffic.
I got out ahead of the preparation game, as my doctor appointments were prior to the arrival, but they knew it would make it here and urged me to get ready. Being that I've always lived the "social distancing" lifestyle, things aren't too different on that front.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Guidedawg

I'm still working full time (telecommuting) so riding is still a weekend thing.  We had our annual "Rally for the Galley" (inspiration for a Pay to Play thread on the old board) scheduled for this Saturday but that has been cancelled.

I have a 3 day weekend in late April and a conference that was postponed so now that Monday holiday is free.  I considered first trips along the Natchez Trace or Tail of the Dragon/Cherehola Skyway etc. (first scheduled trip 2 years ago cancelled due to bad weather) but it looks like some of those areas will be closed to visitors.

I may hit a county or two in Alabama for the historical register or just ride somewhere overnight.  Of course, I don't have a decent bedroll or pad, nor know if inexpensive campgrounds will be open, but still something to plan)

Hammerdown77

Is Natchez Trace closed?

One thing I thought of, that I haven't checked out yet, is whether your typical gas station out on your ride is open for people to go inside the store. Such as for water, food, or maybe more importantly, urgent natural callings...
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Slablog

I like the picnic idea someone threw out. That would actually be great! However, I left at 3am Sat morning and rode the 300 miles up to Acworth, Georgia to fetch my wife. The lack of traffic was phenomenal, but oddly chilling. We left Lil Chubb at a friend's place and came back to Atmore in the car. No riding for me until her 2 week quaratine is over and/or I go back with the trailer and pick up Lil Chubb.

But I like that picnic idea!
Slablog aka Phil
Visit, listen and comment please
Slablog Podcasts

Guidedawg

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on March 30, 2020, 02:17:58 PM
Is Natchez Trace closed?

Certain comfort stations along the route are closed, but who knows what will be going on at end of April?  It's all wait and see.

klaviator

As most of you probably know, the governor has issued a stay at home order starting at 5 PM tomorrow.  I think we may still be legal to ride for this reason: 

You may also leave to:

Engage in an outdoor activities, as long as they involve fewer than 10 people that can maintain a 6 foot distance from others.

sctparker

Just my thoughts on the only thing that really changed. It gave municipalities the right to give you a ticket -  if they deem you are not following the rules in

their eyes - which you will have to plead guilty or go to court to fight it( and miss work if you are working), either way you may have to pay court fees  even

if it's dismissed.  Unless you can get the judge to waive the fees or you can fill out a court fee waiver and see if they accept it. Either way it potentially

opened up a revenue stream for some of these smaller municipalities that like to speed trap for revenue or the rogue power hungry officer to get his kicks.

Not saying it willl happen, but the vagueness of the order leaves it a possibility.

KevinB

No one is going to stop you while your driving and "ask for your papers".

1. Not enough manpower to stop all the cars in the road...judging by the number of cars out and about, it's hard to tell anything's going on.

2. The guy driving the patrol car is doing to same thing hopefully all y'all are doing...avoiding contact with as many people as possible.

I've been out a few times to the grocery store and Ace Hardware,  and each time I pass by a park, etc. there's always a clump of folks (10 - 20) grillin', chillin', and having a good time like it's Labor Day weekend. This order from the Governor is meant to allow LE to tell those folks "How 'bout y'all go the f' home...".

polarissalesman

I"m so ready to go on a group ride. To host the MSR. To see our friends. I have don't a little riding with a retired buddy and of course LuAnn. I'm ready to go to Tellico Plains,  Mentone/Ft. Payne. My work has changed I may not get to go on a 4 or 5 night  trip and may have to stay closer to home and do a 2/3 nite trip. Maybe soon this will pass...
"keep the rubber side down"

klaviator

Quote from: klaviator on March 28, 2020, 08:24:16 AM
After watching way too much news and reading articles about this pandemic I am pretty much writing off the Spring riding season.  Some of my favorite riding areas have been closed off.  Restaurants, motels and campgrounds have been shut down across most of the country.  While I have never been hospitalized due to a riding accident I would hate to have that happen at this time.  I am limiting my riding to short local rides. 

I don't have a crystal ball and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for a long time but my guess is it will be around June before things start to somewhat return to normal.

I made this post at the end of March.  Now its three months later so I thought I'd look back as well as looking forward. 

The Pandemic has actually spread more in Alabama but despite this the state has mostly opened back up.  I guessed that it would be June before things started getting back to normal but things opened up faster than I expected and riding returned to being almost normal. 

In early May I took a trip to Georgia where thing had already opened back up.  It was my first time eating IN a restaurant for a long time.  Since then I have taken a trip to Tellico Plains and been on a few group rides. 

It seems that having a group ride and even eating in a restaurant with the group is not a problem.  Is it a good idea?  That's hard to say.  It should be no problem maintaining 6 feet separation while riding or hanging out outside.......except that people just seem to ignore those 6 foot guidelines.   I often found myself backing up from people.  Is there any real point in maintaining 6 feet outside when we will be sitting together in a restaurant for lunch?

So I don't have all the answers.  I just know that it feels good to be able to get together with friends and go riding.

Let's get a discussion going.  Have you been riding?  How about group rides or eating in restaurants? 

thinwater

Been riding, in fact was kind of loosely planning a ride this weekend when I realized that my destination eating turn around would be closed.  We rode in a cage in the rain to a new place to eat that I hadn't been to but heard about...Campbells Station in TN and wouldn't you know it found a dualsport road way in.  I rode it in the Saturn Ion car so no big deal but nice.  So I immediately think of stitching together a dualsport ride up there and back.  Was kind of working on it this morning when I realized that I remember seeing a sign that they would be closed on the 4th, maybe even the 3rd also.  I'll still ride this weekend.  Don't know how much and if it'll be posted but I"ll ride somewhere Good Lord willing and the Creeks don't rise.

Maybe pack a picnic lunch and dualsport this weekend so closures for holiday and such aren't a issue.

The Corona has only affected me in the sense of what it has affected that I want to visit or use that is closed or alternatively operating.  I don't care for changes because of it, but if I was around someone that was I can respect their views. 

Sweeper

I've really enjoyed and needed the two rides Win has put on this last month! Thank you Win. I also made a trip to Little Switzerland back in May for four days of riding with friends. There was a lot of discussion about that meet up on a forum with international members. Many thought it reckless of us. I really thought about it and came to the conclusion that it was safer for me to ride with ten friends that I know and trust than it was for me to go in the grocery store here at home. I carried baby wipes in my trunk and passed them around after each gas stop. We ate most meals on the sidewalk. I'm planning to return to the mountains as soon as this rain cycle breaks up. Not worth the travel effort when its over 50% every day.