News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Cabin Fever Camping trip

Started by Gam, April 28, 2020, 01:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gam

The plan was to ride a lot of county dirt roads through undeveloped land, come out to stick a credit in the gas pump and get back on the dirt, camp somewhere in Talladega NF. Probably 20 miles of my intended route has been turned into hunt club property since last I rode that way,  these are (were) county roads that can no longer be used by anyone. There are still some left, but less every day.

Picked up the route past the hunt club and the next detour was a bridge out so we turned around and rerouted to cross another bridge and then rode the dirt up to other side of bridge out, so we rode that part of the route except for the bridge itself. This bridge was still good.

So was this one.

Made our way into Talledega NF and rode around all around,  parts of 600 are really wallowed out bad, would be no fun on a big bike. I don't think I have ever seen so many people out hiking. We found a secluded hunt camp. But something wasn't right,  first, was it completely clean, no trash, no nails in trees, no rotten tennis shoes or underwear by the creek...

And it had this fire ring which was painted purple. It wasn't full of melted bottles and egg shells. It had been cleaned out and the ashes tamped down. This was not the work of the forest service.  I felt like I was being suckered in by somebody or some thing and I was going to wake up to a chainsaw ripping through my tent.

If you do a lot of camping out in National Forests, you know that after the sun goes down there are some pretty creepy people who crawl out from under their rocks to range the roads in the dead of night.  I was just about asleep when I heard the thump of bass up on the ridge, long before we heard the gravel crunching under the tires or saw any headlights.  A big pickup and two jeeps made their way down the dead end road and lit the inside of my tent. Looked like kids and we had their party spot.   They turned around and headed back up the hill and stopped back up on the ridge to party. I fell asleep sometime later to the booming bass. I expected to find a pile of beer cans up on the ridge, but not so. I wondered if they were the ones that kept that place so clean? Next day we rode FS roads up to the Rabbit Town HW.

Not before riding the humps down to Sweetwater Lake. I tried to catch some air on the overloaded KLX, but after one attempt I felt it to be ill advised.

KevinB

Good stuff...thanks for sharing!

norton73

I see you remembered your tent poles this time.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Gam

Quote from: norton73 on April 29, 2020, 10:09:37 AM
I see you remembered your tent poles this time.

Actually those are the poles for a Big Agnes Copper Spur SL 2, that is a Big Agnes Seedhouse Sl2, they stretched the tent a little tight in places, grabbed the wrong poles.