News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dual Sport ride Friday 7/3 ?

Started by klaviator, July 01, 2020, 11:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

A couple of more pics.

Thanks everyone for showing up.  Stephen, thanks for leading the ride.  It's always great riding some new roads. 

thinwater

It was fun, my curiosity mostly setteled on a few mystery roads.  Enough was learned to do some educated precision investigating to make it all it can be later.  That was a big ride report!  I have a few days to go through a bunch of video, then I'll probably put the boiled down edit in the ride report section unless is should be here.  Enjoyed it folks.  I tried to break every hour to hour and a half depending on space and shade, too long or about right?

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Mulley

That's one heck of an exploration ride. Looks like a good time. Thanks for sharing all of the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

rider_marc

Looks like a good ride. How many miles?
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

klaviator

Quote from: rider_marc on July 04, 2020, 10:27:10 AM
Looks like a good ride. How many miles?

I rode 240 miles but around 70 of those miles were getting to and from the ride.  Keep in mind that a good part of the route was set up to check out some new roads.  We bypassed to known good roads to do that.  There is a lot of good riding in the area but for those interested in hard core dirt with as little pavement as possible, this isn't the best area to ride.  I enjoyed it because I bought a bike that is fun ON and OFF road.  I really enjoy those paved "goat trails" that are common in the area.  The best of the gravel/dirt riding was in E. Limestone county near the end of the ride. 

klaviator

I forgot to mention, because it has been so rainy, the dust wasn't bad.  If it had been dry for a week it would have been nasty in places.

thinwater

I had a good time and of what the cameras I had captured clearly, here is the boil down. 
https://youtu.be/FUfyZNiu9sc

mega1e6

That's not "redneck" engineering,
that's Iron Butt engineering !!   ;)

Thank you for the great ride.

klaviator

Quote from: thinwater on July 05, 2020, 01:27:55 PM
I had a good time and of what the cameras I had captured clearly, here is the boil down. 
https://youtu.be/FUfyZNiu9sc

Thanks for taking the time to edit and post this video.  I know it had to be a lot of work.

Thanks for leading the ride as well. 

thinwater

I removed the old GPX file that takes you to a dead end with no fix to get to destination.  I'm replacing it with this corrected one that avoids the dead end, in case people continue to find and download and run it.

kdtrull

Quote from: thinwater on July 09, 2020, 01:27:21 PM
I removed the old GPX file that takes you to a dead end with no fix to get to destination.  I'm replacing it with this corrected one that avoids the dead end, in case people continue to find and download and run it.

That looks like a good one.  Some familiar, some not.  I think we're going to replicate it tomorrow.  Thanks for sharing the gpx.

thinwater

Quote from: kdtrull on July 10, 2020, 10:02:40 PM
That looks like a good one.  Some familiar, some not.  I think we're going to replicate it tomorrow.  Thanks for sharing the gpx.

How did it go?  There was a heavy rain through the area Wednesday, some of those small creek crossings could have been drastically different for you comparatively.

kdtrull

It was great.  Never saw a drop of rain.  The humidity was even lower that it had been in previous couple days.  Saw more deer than expected during mid day.  Got behind a batch of turkey hens on one of the skinny roads with thick woods.  They're like buzzards,  they tend to fly straight down the road.

We were out about 13 hours.  I guess around 10 of those were actual moving hours.  We followed the route, hit some other spots I wanted to show BamaPhill, and did a little bit of exploring along the way.

I checked the radar maybe twice Saturday.  We were always north of any rain when I looked.  It may have rained earlier in some areas.  We found mud holes as deep as the creeks but they had good crunchy bottoms.  No zip-n-splat.

thinwater

13 hours!?  We didn't burn it up and I think we did it in about 8hrs including the lunch stop.   Sounds like fun to me.