News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Top Box thoughts

Started by Al Goodwin, October 17, 2015, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

What's everyones thoughts on using something like this as a topbox?

It's and under body mount toolbox.  Looks like if you mounted it as a topbox, with it opening to the rear, if you had anything strapped on top of the box you could still open it....

http://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN%C2%A9-Aluminum-Underbody-Trailer-Flatbed/dp/B00UO6GNOM/ref=sr_1_157?ie=UTF8&qid=1445095361&sr=8-157&keywords=aluminum+box

Chitza

It weighs 21#. Too much weight inside and I would be doin' wheelies!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Chitza on October 17, 2015, 10:47:23 AM
It weighs 21#. Too much weight inside and I would be doin' wheelies!

Hmm...I hadn't looked at it that hard...21 pounds is a bit HEAVY!!!

Al Goodwin

I like the idea.....but, I guess, if they're built heavy enough to haul tools mounted under the body, they'll be too heavy for a top box...

Oh well.....the search continues. :-\

Ryanbroome

21 lbs isn't very much for a big enclosed box like that. I'd do it

Ryanbroome

Wait. Where's it getting mounted?

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 17, 2015, 11:47:50 AM
Wait. Where's it getting mounted?

Same place as other top boxes.....

Yankee Dog

Ryanbroome

When I think of a top box I think of a box going on a trailer. Whoops.

scrappyjon

The thing I like most about my top box is how easily it comes off and the built in handle on it. You can carry it like a suitcase. This box looks great and I'm sure functions great I would miss the convenience of carrying it easily a lot.   

Al Goodwin

Yankee Dog

Do you care if it matches your painters? Or just looking for something functional and cheap.  I mean cost effective. 

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Yankee Dog on October 18, 2015, 02:59:35 PM
Do you care if it matches your painters? Or just looking for something functional and cheap.  I mean cost effective.

Bigger than what I've got :o,....that didn't sound right ???

AND cost effective. 8)

Yankee Dog

I have a Givi 52 which I am very happy with. It has been on several motorcycles.  It will hold two full face helmets. I notice there are making a 55 now.  But that solution will cast you $400 smacks.   I think the aluminum one are even more expensive.  Have you looked at Home Depot or such to see what they have in the way of hard plastic tool boxes.  Or maybe even a cooler might work. 

JC Whitney has a 35 liter for a good price but that may not be big enough 

lazeebum

Keep looking on Amazon, the top box on my KLR was less than fifty bucks shipping and all. If I didn't have it full of tools, rain suit and a small cooler it would hold two helmets.